If my new passport arrives late for my visa extention?

I had serious eye surgeries since last week, (the IOL fell in the vitreous and has been  urgently replaced by another IOL), my passport will expire on 3 August 2017 and renewal of visa due to retirement for one year extension is  on 03 July 2017. 

Today I went to my embassy to have a new passport issued but the embassy says that it  should take 2 weeks, sometimes more, for the new passport to come to Thailand.  There is a real possibility that the new passport arrives too late for the extension trip to Chang Wattana before 03 July.  In the embassy opinion, Chang Wattana will not renew a one year retirement visa extension on 3 July if my passport is only valid for one more month only. 

Now If I ask my surgeon for an attestation letter that I could not leave Thailand during the surgery follow up before my visa extension as I am still on recovery and writing this letter via the magnifier included in Windows then what the immigration officer will do if I am late in renewing the visa extension due to retirement by a few days?  My embassy has now sent the passport to my country and I only have a receipt to show for it, no passport in my possession,  My next doctor appointment is exactly on 3 July.. Any suggestion?

Most immigration offices will issue you an extension up until the expiry date of your old passport in that situation. What it would mean is that you would need to apply for another extension when your new passport arrived.

I am scared that my new passport arrives after expiration of the actual visa.  Does the immigration officer will process an extention all the same?  I also intend to ask my doctor for a medical letter attesting recovery from an operation

16 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

I am scared that my new passport arrives after expiration of the actual visa.  Does the immigration officer will process an extention all the same?  I also intend to ask my doctor for a medical letter attesting recovery from an operation

If my last post was not clear, let me try again.

Your current extension expires July 3. You must apply for a new extension on or before that date.

If your new passport has arrived, you will apply for the extension showing both your old and new passports and get a full 12-month extension.

If your new passport has not arrived, you will need to apply using your old passport. Since that expires on 3 August 2017, you will be granted an extension only until 3 August 2017. When your new passport arrives (and not later than 3 August 2017) you would need to apply for a new extension.

EDIT: As a final fallback, you also have the option of asking your embassy for an emergency travel document. This is valid for 12 months, and can usually be issued within 24 hours. Immigration will issue the extension against the emergency travel document. You would need to transfer the extension to your regular passport when you receive it.

Edited by BritTim
Add ETD option
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

The embassy today has kept my old passport and also my TM card.  I understood what you are saying but this only works if I have a passport in hand, old or new.

In Thailand, your embassy is not supposed to do that. They should only take a copy of the old passport. According to the law, your passport must be available for inspection by the authorities at all times.

You cannot visit immigration without your passport. It might even get you arrested. You may have to get an emergency travel document if you cannot get your new passport in time for the extension.

Edited by BritTim

Thank you Brittim, 

I will call my embassy today on office opening, cancel the procedure, ask for my passport back until I can extend my visa to give me more time and make this a safe legal procedure.  Then after this I will renew the procedure for a new passport.  I understand your point and their procedure is questionable.

5 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Thank you Brittim, 

I will call my embassy today on office opening, cancel the procedure, ask for my passport back until I can extend my visa to give me more time and make this a safe legal procedure.  Then after this I will renew the procedure for a new passport.  I understand your point and their procedure is questionable.

i wonder what the reason was for getting the new passport; if it was about to expire or was full, then would immigration here even use it for the extension ?

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

In Thailand, your embassy is not supposed to do that. They should only take a copy of the old passport. According to the law, your passport must be available for inspection by the authorities at all times.

You cannot visit immigration without your passport. It might even get you arrested. You may have to get an emergency travel document if you cannot get your new passport in time for the extension.

Canadian embassy keeps passport and gives it back, after renewal, with a corner cut to nullify it.

7 minutes ago, meatboy said:

incompetance comes to mind,why did you leave it till the last moment?uk passports can be renewed 9months before it expires.

To be fair to the OP, he did say that he has just had serious eye issues, which required surgery, he may not have been able to go to immigration to do the extension at that point and depending on where the office is, then possibly immigration would not do the extension until 30 days before, so a close run thing.

And he has not mentioned where he comes from, so renewal options for the passport are unknown!

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

i wonder what the reason was for getting the new passport; if it was about to expire or was full, then would immigration here even use it for the extension ?

9 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

passport will expire on 3 August 2017

Edited by Mattd

14 minutes ago, meatboy said:

incompetance comes to mind,why did you leave it till the last moment?uk passports can be renewed 9months before it expires.

a canadian passport can be applied for 12months in advance,if the op has a valid reason.[serious eye issue] VALID REASON]

the op can cancell his application and request his passport back GIVING THE REASON] GET FORM PPTC 153

sorry,u screwed up, why did u wait so long to apply for a new passport?
u knew it was going to expire so has nothing to do with ur eye surgery..

PS   I got a new US passport 4 years before it was due to expire cause it was full (along with 2 extra pages)

you dont need give any reason, nor did they ask

Edited by phuketrichard

I recently had a passport lost.(Feb 2017)

I got a temporary 1 year emergency passport from the U.S. embassy  here in Bangkok   immediately on application for a new passport (for travel out of country if needed).

However my new U.S. passport arrived  only 7 days from the date of application, so the emergency passport was not needed after all.

Good and quick service from the U.S. embassy.

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Canadian embassy keeps passport and gives it back, after renewal, with a corner cut to nullify it.

No Embassy can keep anyone's passport in Thailand. When you apply for a UK renewal, they say do not send old one, but cut the corner off yourself when the new one arrives.

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No Embassy can keep anyone's passport in Thailand. When you apply for a UK renewal, they say do not send old one, but cut the corner off yourself when the new one arrives.

Just make sure you only cut the cover

If you chop of any more, ie all the way through on every page you might invalidate any visas that are still current. I know, nobody is silly enough to do that. ?

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

PS   I got a new US passport 4 years before it was due to expire cause it was full (along with 2 extra pages)

you dont need give any reason, nor did they ask......Same with my U.K Passport which doesn't expire until 2021 but is now FULL,I Will renew next Month.....

54 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just make sure you only cut the cover

If you chop of any more, ie all the way through on every page you might invalidate any visas that are still current. I know, nobody is silly enough to do that. ?

Yer Would'nt like a Bet on that last statement,Would Yer ??

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

No they don't, they say take it to Trendy when collecting the new one and Trendy will cut the corner off.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

You DON'T Send the Old U.K Passport anywhere, You have to present yourself in person to COLLECT The NEW Passport & They will ASK You to cut the corners off the old one there & then,Once you APPLY For a New Passport,The OLD one is No good for travel anyway,Only use as a form of ID....

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Also If you request the 2 July on the form for a travel date, etc... They will get your passport back ASAP or at least they did for me. 

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

You DON'T Send the Old U.K Passport anywhere, You have to present yourself in person to COLLECT The NEW Passport & They will ASK You to cut the corners off the old one there & then,Once you APPLY For a New Passport,The OLD one is No good for travel anyway,Only use as a form of ID....

They tell 'you' it's no use for travel but they don't tell anyone else. It doesn't go on any database anywhere,  so you could still do a weekend somewhere nearby, Malaysia for instance, no visa required and no-one will know the difference, unless you tell them.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

They tell 'you' it's no use for travel but they don't tell anyone else. It doesn't go on any database anywhere,  so you could still do a weekend somewhere nearby, Malaysia for instance, no visa required and no-one will know the difference, unless you tell them.

That is quite true, but I do not recommend people do something like that without a really good reason. If you needed consular assistance while outside Thailand (for instance, lost passport or arrest unrelated to your passport status) the consulate would soon become aware of you status, and are unlikely to be amused. I can well imagine them insisting on confiscating the old passport, and furnishing you with an emergency travel document allowing travel only back to the UK.

5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Have you ever had 4 eye surgeries one after the other in 6 months?  In those cases, passport renewal is last on your mind, you simply want to get on with a good vision.  By the way my next passport is valid for 10 years instead of 5 years.  In any case a doctor certificate will settle any problem but those doctors are so busy I wanted to let them doing what they are good for, that is to save eyes.

3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

You do not have to collect it in person, my wife collected mine.