If my new passport arrives late for my visa extention?

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

If my last post was not clear, let me try again.

Your current extension expires July 3. You must apply for a new extension on or before that date.

If your new passport has arrived, you will apply for the extension showing both your old and new passports and get a full 12-month extension.

If your new passport has not arrived, you will need to apply using your old passport. Since that expires on 3 August 2017, you will be granted an extension only until 3 August 2017. When your new passport arrives (and not later than 3 August 2017) you would need to apply for a new extension.

EDIT: As a final fallback, you also have the option of asking your embassy for an emergency travel document. This is valid for 12 months, and can usually be issued within 24 hours. Immigration will issue the extension against the emergency travel document. You would need to transfer the extension to your regular passport when you receive it.

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying...are you certain about this?? I have never heard of anyone getting an extension in these circumstances..  My understanding was that  when your passport runs out in Thailand unlike other countries your visa becomes null and void and you are automatically on overstay. If I am wrong then I paid a 20k fine for nothing when I got caught up in the British Embassy delays 2 years ago and had to leave the country come back in on a 30 day visa and then reapply for a new retirement visa

Edited by Tanlic

" No Embassy can keep anyone's passport in Thailand "

When applying for passport renewal at an Outreach or via the new application by mail service,  American Citizen Services will retain your old passport until the new one is prepared. Only when you apply in person at the Bangkok or Chiang Mai consulate are you allowed to keep your passport while awaiting the new one. 

Not logical

Generally we know when our passport is going to run out ignore it and do not worry Ok for some

But why start worrying now a little normal responsible advance planning and no problem

Self inflicted wound I think

Good luck stay relaxed

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

In Thailand, your embassy is not supposed to do that. They should only take a copy of the old passport. According to the law, your passport must be available for inspection by the authorities at all times.

You cannot visit immigration without your passport. It might even get you arrested. You may have to get an emergency travel document if you cannot get your new passport in time for the extension.

The US-Embassy offers the option of letting them keep your passport, and mailing the new one, to avoid a trip to Bangkok to pick it up.  If you choose that option, they give you a letter kindly informing local authorities that they have your old passport.  If one has one of these letters plus a copy of one's old passport and permission-of-stay stamp, and is not otherwise afoul of the law (overstay, etc), I doubt you would be arrested.

Agree it does little good to go to immigration without a passport, because they have nothing to work with (though I doubt they would arrest him).  Good advice on the Emergency Travel Doc (ETD) - that might work.  He might also need a letter from the embassy saying they have his old passport, in lieu of a police-report for a lost/stolen passport.  Worst case, a visa run on an ETD for a new Non-O 90-day entry (easier than the hassle of conversion of an Exempt entry, usually), then restart the extension process at the end of that.

18 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

When applying for passport renewal at an Outreach or via the new application by mail service,  American Citizen Services will retain your old passport until the new one is prepared. Only when you apply in person at the Bangkok or Chiang Mai consulate are you allowed to keep your passport while awaiting the new one. 

You can choose to keep your old passport on Outreach visits, but it requires a visit to Bangkok to the Embassy to present it (for ID and being cut/punched) to obtain the new one.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanlic said:

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying...are you certain about this?? I have never heard of anyone getting an extension in these circumstances..  My understanding was that  when your passport runs out in Thailand unlike other countries your visa becomes null and void and you are automatically on overstay. If I am wrong then I paid a 20k fine for nothing when I got caught up in the British Embassy delays 2 years ago and had to leave the country come back in on a 30 day visa and then reapply for a new retirement visa

Your original visa probably became null and void ages ago!

But if by "visa" you actually mean "permission to stay", then such permissions are not granted by the Immigration powers-that-be here in LOS beyond the lifetime of your current passport in any event.

In your case, it would appear that you had to pay a 20,000 THB fine for the brazen incompetence of HMPO (who, incidentally, have nothing to do with the Embassy) a few years ago, which rubbed salt into the wound of their imposition of the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" on us long-suffering Brits at around the same time.:crazy:

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, Tanlic said:

I am not sure of your question, so I apologize if you are actually asking something different.

If your passport has not yet expired, but will expire soon, you can still apply for an extension. However, the extension will only be granted up to the expiry date of the passport. For the OP, based on the information in his initial post, this would have been sufficient, as he would only have needed a couple of extra weeks at most. Once your passport has actually expired, your only legal option (as I indicated) is to get an emergency travel document, and ask for an extension based on that on a temporary basis.

If you tried to get an extension using an unexpired regular passport or emergency travel document and were denied, I am surprised. If you failed to apply for an extension, then obviously you would be on overstay as soon as your permission to stay expires.

Edited by BritTim

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

In Thailand, your embassy is not supposed to do that.

If you apply for an American passport (at an outreach anyway) and want the new passport mailed to you, they keep the old passport and return them both in the mail. I assume they would do that even if you apply in person at the embassy in Bangkok or consulate in CM and want the new passport mailed to you.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

You DON'T Send the Old U.K Passport anywhere, You have to present yourself in person to COLLECT The NEW Passport & They will ASK You to cut the corners off the old one there & then,Once you APPLY For a New Passport,The OLD one is No good for travel anyway,Only use as a form of ID....

I got my new one back by DFS two years ago, when I posted my paperwork to Hong Kong, but now it's different. BUT, how can your old passport be no good for travel in say the week or so after you apply? Surely only when the new one has been collected does the old one become invalid.

31 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I got my new one back by DFS two years ago, when I posted my paperwork to Hong Kong, but now it's different. BUT, how can your old passport be no good for travel in say the week or so after you apply? Surely only when the new one has been collected does the old one become invalid.

With UK passports, the old passport is electronically marked as no longer valid when the office in the UK begins the process of issuing the new passport. In fact, there is nothing to stop you still using it for regional travel, but woe betide if it was lost or you needed consular assistance while outside Thailand for some other reason. While other countries' immigration systems would be unaware of the old passport's status, the consulate would soon discover you were traveling on a canceled passport.

Whether the UK should electronically cancel the old passport before you are given the new one is another question.