White House plays down Australian PM's mockery of Trump at media party

webfact

White House plays down Australian PM's mockery of Trump at media party

tag-reuters-3.jpg

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump (L) and Australia's Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull (R) deliver brief remarks to reporters in New York, U.S. May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

WASHINGTON/MELBOURNE (Reuters) - The White House on Thursday brushed off news of a leaked video of Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull making fun of U.S. President Donald Trump and alluding to ties with Russia.

“I don’t think anybody cares about that,” a senior White House official said of Turnbull's remarks at a news media ball at Parliament House in Canberra late on Wednesday that was supposed to have been off the record.

"The Donald and I ... we are winning in the polls. We are! Not the fake polls. We are winning in the real polls. You know, the online polls. They are so easy to win," Turnbull said in the leaked recording, he adding: "I have this Russian guy ..."

An Australian journalist broadcast the recording, saying that because he had not been at the event, he was not bound by the confidentiality rule.

Turnbull, who had a famously frosty first telephone call with Trump early this year, later told the 3AW radio station that the leak was a breach of protocol, but his "affectionately lighthearted" speech was a "good-humoured roast" in which he was the butt of his own jokes.

The U.S. embassy in Canberra said it understood the Mid-Winter Ball was the equivalent of the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner, at which the U.S. media and president traditionally rib each other.

"We take this with the good humour that was intended," the embassy said.

The White House official, who asked to not be identified, referred to a "good" first face-to face meeting between Trump and Turnbull in New York last month at which they declared that they "get along great."

That was not the case when Turnbull became one of the first foreign leaders Trump spoke to after taking office on Jan. 20.

During their phone call, Trump became irritated about an agreement made by his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama, to accept as many as 1,250 refugees held in Australian processing centres on remote Pacific islands.

Trump broke off what was supposed to be an hour-long call after 25 minutes and later tweeted that the refugee agreement was "dumb."

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visited Australia in April and said that while Trump was not happy about the refugee agreement, the United States would honour it.

(Reporting by Melanie Burton in Melbourne; Additional reporting by Jamie Freed and Colin Packham in Sydney and Steve Holland and David Brunnstrom in Washington; editing by Robert Birsel and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-16

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Donald does not have a sense of humour, so he must find it quite difficult when pretty much the whole world is taking the piss out of him.

If they they took the sh?t out of Trump there would be nothing left.

16 minutes ago, Trentham said:

If they they took the sh?t out of Trump there would be nothing left.

I have to disagree with that comment. Removing the shit would obviously be a long and arduous task, given the extent of it.

However, at the end, I believe there would in fact not be nothing left, there would be a sad looking, shriveled, orange haired husk, tweeting denials.

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I have to disagree with that comment. Removing the shit would obviously be a long and arduous task, given the extent of it.

However, at the end, I believe there would in fact not be nothing left, there would be a sad looking, shriveled, orange haired husk, tweeting denials.

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

Most of the world mocks trump and he totally deserves it.

lau.jpg.5aa8e3e27ce86c57baf9781b4a181109.jpg

Trump said foreign leaders wouldn’t laugh at the U.S. Now they’re laughing at him.

The Australian prime minister’s imitation of “The Donald” is the latest sign that heads of state are not afraid to make jokes at the U.S. president’s expense.

Two weeks ago in the Rose Garden, President Trump declared that under his leadership, foreign leaders won’t be “laughing at us anymore.”

Since then, he’s been the butt of jokes in capitals around the world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-said-foreign-leaders-wouldnt-laugh-at-the-us-now-theyre-laughing-at-him/2017/06/15/de82a340-51da-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

" “In the private conversations I’ve had with heads of states and ministers of foreign relations . . . they all feel what Turnbull just basically came out and said: This is, by far, the least capable person ever to sit in the office and it’s appalling they have to deal with him,” said Ian Bremmer, president of Eurasia Group, a global risk-assessment firm. "

So, the whole world is laughing at Trump for his incompetence, and no one wants to deal with him. I wonder how many of his, less than intellectually gifted supporters, are still unable to smell the coffee. Or should that be covfefe.

Edited by darksidedog

The difference between Donald Trump and the Australian PM. is that Donald has a backbone, like him or hate him he try's do deliver on his campaign promises, the Aussie PM  backflips all the time on his promises and when he was in the White House some 6 weeks ago he was not making jokes then, he was like a little puppy dog waiting for a pat from his master. 

4 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

The difference between Donald Trump and the Australian PM. is that Donald has a backbone, like him or hate him he try's do deliver on his campaign promises, the Aussie PM  backflips all the time on his promises and when he was in the White House some 6 weeks ago he was not making jokes then, he was like a little puppy dog waiting for a pat from his master. 

Trump? Backbone? Deliver on campaign promises?

:cheesy:

1 minute ago, Morch said:

Trump? Backbone? Deliver on campaign promises?

:cheesy:

"I am going to defeat isis in one month", that was the stand out for me, lol

I must admit, the  Aussie bogan element think they have  a god given right to take the piss out of anyone, even when its not warranted or called for. Add alcohol and it gets even worse.

The prime minister is no different and shows the standard Aussie reaction here: When caught out, heaps  of back-pedalling

and cries "it was only a joke".

Its kind of why i giggle here when reading the reports about Aussies getting the <deleted> kicked out of them by motorcai dudes

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It was pretty mild actually. trump deserves much much worse.

Not to worry, Trump get roasted every day and night on 'news' shows and late night comedians. Oh, and he gets quite a bit here on ThaiVisa.

I must admit, the  Aussie bogan element think they have  a god given right to take the piss out of anyone, even when its not warranted or called for. Add alcohol and it gets even worse.

The prime minister is no different and shows the standard Aussie reaction here: When caught out, heaps  of back-pedalling
and cries "it was only a joke".

Its kind of why i giggle here when reading the reports about Aussies getting the kicked out of them by motorcai dudes

You call yourself an ozzie but have no idea about the ozzie way of taking the piss out of friend and foe.

2 hours ago, ICECOOL said:

You call yourself an ozzie but have no idea about the ozzie way of taking the piss out of friend and foe.

What's all this Ozzie sh##t? Ozzie way ? Do you honestly think you invented taking the piss? Out of friend , foe or oneself, or whoever?  I think the Brits wrote the book on that when your Island/continent was still whiteless.