Asking Salary...

I'm applying for an IT/IS job with a large US based consulting firm. It's a senior level position based in Bangkok, open to expats, requiring at least 8-10 years experience. No Thai language requirements are indicated in the job qualifications.

Depending on the metropolitan market in the US this position would pay in the range of at least $120,000 to $180,000 annually. Based on cost of living comparisons my gut tells me to ask at least 50-60% of the US rate.

Any ideas on what an appropriate asking salary would be for the Bangkok market?

Feedback appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

27 minutes ago, MonkeyLoo said:

You are about right there.

Weigh up the whole package though as things like medical, Training, relocation, bonuses  etc can make a big difference.

Good point, in fact it's probably a good idea to mention salary and medical, rent assistance, on-going training, etc., when you apply. 

In case you get hired as an expat, your salary should be about the same, maybe a small adjustment due to the lower cola.
Local contract, if you are on the leading edge of technology about the same.
If you can do what any experienced Thai can do, compare to local salaries. 

53 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good point, in fact it's probably a good idea to mention salary and medical, rent assistance, on-going training, etc., when you apply. 

Then, for senior positions you are not expected to mention all the nitty gritty in your application, it would indicate to me that you are not aware of market conditions, and therefore probably not a senior candidate.
Make sure they want you first, then negotiate.
(If you get top dollars, PM me and I'll charge you the usual consultants' fee)

You said this would be with a US based company. If that is the case, I would certainly expect to be paid what I would expect to get paid in the US along with an expat package that includes things like paid housing, tax equalization, cost of living adjustments (COLA), travel costs back to the US at least once a year (if with family - for the whole family - and they paid business class for me back to the US from Bangkok) , both the cost of expatriation (meaning first move to Thailand) as well as repatriation (cost to move you back to the US after your assignment ends) and in some cases an expat premium. On the whole you should get more than what you would have been paid in the US. Don't settle for less - this is what many but not all US based expats get especially in a senior position. Good luck ! PM me if you want more details.

5 hours ago, Propellerhead said:

It's a senior level position based in Bangkok, open to expats, requiring at least 8-10 years experience.

Senior level position needing a minimum of 8 years' experience? Poppycock.

Having lived in four countries, I look at this is a different way. The key is how much money you have the potential to save in a year while also living a quality lifestyle. I've worked in the US, Japan, Singapore and Thailand and the pay in itself is not the best barometer of savings potential. Since when overseas you need to save for your own retirement, it's how much you are able to put away that is the most important factor. It's not easy to figure out (tax rates, housing, flights, etc.), but to me it's the key. My salary is about half of what it was in Singapore but I'm saving just as much money due to the wildly different cost of living. 

You have been hired by a US company.

They could have hired Thai IT people.

But they chose to hire you, you went through the screening process, you've been selected.

For one it's surprising that salary and bonus/medical-dental/perks [car, housing] have not been discussed upfront. Maybe says something about the company.

At any rate (pun unintended, maybe not any :) ask for what you'd want in the US. Not less.

That's what I'd do [acted as software architect of high-visibility solutions for governments, federal agencies, etc.]

Do some regional research. Register at Glassdoor.com and check IT salaries in the banking and finance industry. They may not have any in Thailand but they should have them in Singapore and HK. Also check out The Robert Half reports you can register and download their regional reports  https://www.roberthalf.com.sg/jobs/all-jobs/all-locations/all-types/technology

For senior expats the salary differences between Bangkok and Singapore/HK are not that great but the housing allowance they get is far more than bangkok.

Don't sell yourself short, I'd say ask for your US salary and ask if their are any other benefits, housing, medical, kids school fees, home leave etc. 

A local Thai senior analyst with 8-10 years experience earns 200-300k baht per month at foreign financial firms and I think foreign IT managers at similar firms would earn more . 

I know a foreign IT project manager at the Thai office of a US IT company who is making usd15k  per month plus 100k baht housing and other perks.

If what you can offer cannot be found in Thailand at the same level of competence or skills then you should be able to command the same salary as you do elseware.

If you are applying at a large US based consulting firm they will definitely have a salary range for the job and rather than you telling them what you want first get them to tell you what the budget is for the job. Salary is the last thing you should mention anyway. 

I don't know the salary for IT jobs but the expat jobs I know pay 90 percent of your housing ( in a range ) plus kids private education  fees and car type expenses ( car and gas or driver or cash if you take mass transit)  The corporation figures 90 percent of housing is fair as you would incur some housing costs in your country but you also loose the potential for a home in USA appreciating in value and your kids have to change schools in foreign countries.  These benefits are in addition to salary. 

I don't want to give you my friends names that have expat jobs but if you could find a few expats in the IT area would be great for you. 

Also go to IT conferences and talk over beer at the bar and you will learn all you need to know. 

Good luck to you. 

2 hours ago, seancbk said:
3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Senior level position needing a minimum of 8 years' experience? Poppycock.

Would you care to explain why you think this is poppycock?

For the very simple reason that a mere 8 years' experience doesn't qualify anyone for a senior level position.

6 minutes ago, Oxx said:

For the very simple reason that a mere 8 years' experience doesn't qualify anyone for a senior level position.

Possibly he meant 8 to 10 years in a comparable senior level position, not simply experience  at an entry level.

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

You are out of touch with tech startups.  

On 2017-6-16 at 3:08 PM, seancbk said:

I would ask for the same amount you'd expect to be paid anywhere else.   

When I was headhunted from Hong Kong to take on a senior IT role in Bangkok my salary went up by 50%

I wouldn't work for a penny less in Thailand either, I'd want comparative wages to where I'd get anywhere else.... 

Cost of rice and noodlesoup maybe cheap but the finer things in life cost the same or more in bkk... 

On 6/16/2017 at 8:23 PM, Suradit69 said:
On 6/16/2017 at 8:15 PM, Oxx said:

Possibly he meant 8 to 10 years in a comparable senior level position, not simply experience  at an entry level.

nobody is born with senior level experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16 June 2017 at 7:15 PM, Oxx said:

Not quite right...I worked for a large company where the engineer pay scale is from graduate>junior>senior>lead>principle engineer.  A senior engineer is a mid ranked employee with about 7-10 years relevant experience. Senior doesn't always mean the most experienced anymore. 

On 2017-6-20 at 3:36 PM, speedtripler said:

I wouldn't work for a penny less in Thailand either, I'd want comparative wages to where I'd get anywhere else.... 

Cost of rice and noodlesoup maybe cheap but the finer things in life cost the same or more in bkk... 

We all have our reasons for working and living here.

If it's a career move or money you are after then you are in the wrong place.

Thailand isn't and never will be regarded as an IT center of excellence and the money on offer for isn't great. But you can have a good time here. ;-) 

2 hours ago, MonkeyLoo said:

We all have our reasons for working and living here.

If it's a career move or money you are after then you are in the wrong place.

Thailand isn't and never will be regarded as an IT center of excellence and the money on offer for isn't great. But you can have a good time here. ;-) 

You may as well be self employed and get paid properly than work for less than your potential worth somewhere else

Especially if you work in IT as its so easy to work remotely and most of Thailand has Fibre internet thesedays ... 

Edited by speedtripler