Thailand joins hands with China to crack down on zero-dollar tourist scams

rooster59

Thailand joins hands with China to crack down on zero-dollar tourist scams

supawadee wangsri

BANGKOK, 16 June 2017 (NNT) – The Tourism and Sports Ministry and the China National Tourism Administration (CNTA) agreed to set up a working group to exchange information in bid to crack down on illegal tour companies of the two countries. 

Mr. Phongphanu Sawetarundra, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, disclosed that the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and CNTA have agreed to set up the working group to exchange information in effort to reduce zero-dollar tourist scams and crack down on local nominees who might help the Chinese run businesses illegally. 

The number of Chinese arrivals to Thailand during the first five months dropped slightly by five percent due to the crackdown on illegal tour operators. 

However, that number is expected to increase in the second half of the year and Thailand will welcome 9.5 million Chinese throughout this year, up by seven percent from last year. Thailand is expected to welcome 10-12 million Chinese next year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-18

Phuket is full of Chinese right now, still doing the same tours to the Chinese-run shops and Chinese run restaurants accompanied by "illegal" Chinese tour guides. 

But at the same time they're staying in Thai hotels and going on Thai boats to Phi Phi/James Bond Island etc bit they generally have one free day away from the usual schedules when local restaurants and the 7-Eleven do make some money out of them.

In other words nothing seems to have changed since the so-called zero dollar tour crackdown.

I know Australians who have been doing zero dollar visits for years, they stay at an Australian owned guesthouse, eat and drink at their Australian friends bar etc. Is it really any different ?

I know Australians who have been doing zero dollar visits for years, they stay at an Australian owned guesthouse, eat and drink at their Australian friends bar etc. Is it really any different ?

The two businesses that you mentioned are Thai majority owned and all money is exchanged in Thailand.

The Chinese tour operators/ companies get their customers to pay up front in China.

16 minutes ago, coulson said:

The two businesses that you mentioned are Thai majority owned and all money is exchanged in Thailand.

The Chinese tour operators/ companies get their customers to pay up front in China.

Is buying a package holiday to Spain from the UK any different?

Paid upfront to the high street agency and stay in a local hotel that is run/managed by an expat. Flight on a UK based/owned company.

Half-board, breakfast ( full Monty ) and a plate of Paella at night in the hotel.

Edited by overherebc

49 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Phuket is full of Chinese right now, still doing the same tours to the Chinese-run shops and Chinese run restaurants accompanied by "illegal" Chinese tour guides. 

But at the same time they're staying in Thai hotels and going on Thai boats to Phi Phi/James Bond Island etc bit they generally have one free day away from the usual schedules when local restaurants and the 7-Eleven do make some money out of them.

In other words nothing seems to have changed since the so-called zero dollar tour crackdown.

The Thai hotels you mention?

I cannot escape the idea they are Chinese owned.

Chinese companies hate to do business with non-Chinese companies.

Minimise the "squeeze".

15 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The Thai hotels you mention?

I cannot escape the idea they are Chinese owned.

Chinese companies hate to do business with non-Chinese companies.

Minimise the "squeeze".

No, most, but not all, of the hotels are Thai owned but the Chinese tour companies squeeze the price down to the absolute minimum. 

Is buying a package holiday to Spain from the UK any different?
Paid upfront to the high street agency and stay in a local hotel that is run/managed by an expat. Flight on a UK based/owned company.
Half-board, breakfast ( full Monty ) and a plate of Paella at night in the hotel.

The EU have a crackdown on zero dollar tourism?

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

No, most, but not all, of the hotels are Thai owned but the Chinese tour companies squeeze the price down to the absolute minimum. 

Is it now illegal to squeeze down the price?  :passifier:

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

yes is different because they do have a choice.

But what's the difference between a all inclusive holiday and a zero baht grouptour? All inclusive is even worse than zero baht and europeans love it.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

No, It's not..............what is known about the Zero Dollar Tours is the traveller's pay everything in China, even the credit cards they use in the Chinese owned Shops, Resturants, Hotels are debited in China, none of that money stays in Thailand - been going on for years in Latin America and Europe.

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

I would say 'squeeze the price down to below the long term sustainable minimum'.

But their right, the hotels (same goes for tour operators) should stick to their guns.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not that I know of.

Just comparing packages UK/Spain and China/Thailand.

Don't confuse tour packages with zero dollar Chinese tours.

The Chinese tours are ripping people off by selling them a tour that isn't supposed to cost more then they get strong armed (literally) into buying things at the stores the bus stop at. Some ecen threaten to not allow them back on the bus unless they buy something. It's a huge scam.

Edited by dcnx

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

These guest houses and bars that are majority owned by thais, 51% minimum.  Around 1 million aussies travel to Thailand each year so that's a lot of friends who own guess houses and bars. I would say most aussies book a holiday and stay in international hotels and spend money outside them.

Edited by Thechook

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

The Chinese tours are ripping people off by selling them a tour that isn't supposed to cost more then they get strong armed (literally) into buying things at the stores the bus stop at. Some ecen threaten to not allow them back on the bus unless they buy something. It's a huge scam.

Just like the old days before they came. Ever had a tuk tuk take you somewhere? 

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

Mr madmitch are you a friend of all the accountants who work in Chinese tour companies? If not, then how did you know Chinese tour companies squeeze the price down to the absolute minimum? Just asking.

59 minutes ago, madusa said:

Mr madmitch are you a friend of all the accountants who work in Chinese tour companies? If not, then how did you know Chinese tour companies squeeze the price down to the absolute minimum? Just asking.

I know no Chinese accountants but do know plenty of people in the hotel business! It's also pretty common knowledge around these parts.

The only plus is guaranteed year-round trade.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Ok, I can understand that.

??

13 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I know no Chinese accountants but do know plenty of people in the hotel business! It's also pretty common knowledge around these parts.

The only plus is guaranteed year-round trade.

Chinese may be crooks in business but still you do need proof. The Zionists said God gave them the Promised Land, they have proof it's all written in their holy book.

Can you put your hand on the Bible and swear to God that these no-good chinese are cheating everybody?

Please if you don't have proof you need to swear on the Bible like the Zionists sworn on their mythology.

Please let all of us know about it. We are waiting.....Mr.. what's your name again? madmitch ah yes, mr madmitch.

11 hours ago, madusa said:

Chinese may be crooks in business but still you do need proof. The Zionists said God gave them the Promised Land, they have proof it's all written in their holy book.

Can you put your hand on the Bible and swear to God that these no-good chinese are cheating everybody?

Please if you don't have proof you need to swear on the Bible like the Zionists sworn on their mythology.

Please let all of us know about it. We are waiting.....Mr.. what's your name again? madmitch ah yes, mr madmitch.

Where did I say the Chinese are cheating anybody? Where did I state that they are crooks in business?

Very weird post! 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Where did I say the Chinese are cheating anybody? Where did I state that they are crooks in business?

Very weird post! 

Well, you did imply i am afraid. In fact the other posts also imply Chinese travel agents  were cheating the Chinese tourists.

Let me first clear this, the Chinese tourists in China were told very explicitly that the fare is zero but they must go on the optional tours for which they pay and to do some shopping as well. On this basis the agreement verbally so it is not legally binding.

3 hours ago, madusa said:

Well, you did imply i am afraid. In fact the other posts also imply Chinese travel agents  were cheating the Chinese tourists.

Let me first clear this, the Chinese tourists in China were told very explicitly that the fare is zero but they must go on the optional tours for which they pay and to do some shopping as well. On this basis the agreement verbally so it is not legally binding.

`Can you swear on the Bible that this is true?:passifier:

3 hours ago, longtom said:

`Can you swear on the Bible that this is true?:passifier:

Please take the Bible seriously because if you google "John of God" , a Brazilian who could heal so many people using just a pen-knife and no anesthetic, there is no infection after the surgery. He prayed to God before he performed any surgery.

You will see a Doctor went there and witness the whole procedure, and he kept saying "I can't do that, it would cause infection, I can't do that the patient would jump out of his skin because of the pain. He was amazed John of God would do all the things that would contradict all the rules and health regulations yet he could heal the patient.

"Thou shall not take the name of God in vain"- so I wouldn't swear on the Bible.

Jesus loves you, longtom. (when was the last time you went to church? Not going to church anymore? Don't listen to those pagan worshipers, fornicators, drunks, etc.,)

When Buddha was asked if God existed. He said on good ground he believed God existed. If you do bad things too much you will be re-incarnated as a half bred Goat-Pig you know.

17 minutes ago, madusa said:

Please take the Bible seriously because if you google "John of God" , a Brazilian who could heal so many people using just a pen-knife and no anesthetic, there is no infection after the surgery. He prayed to God before he performed any surgery.

You will see a Doctor went there and witness the whole procedure, and he kept saying "I can't do that, it would cause infection, I can't do that the patient would jump out of his skin because of the pain. He was amazed John of God would do all the things that would contradict all the rules and health regulations yet he could heal the patient.

"Thou shall not take the name of God in vain"- so I wouldn't swear on the Bible.

Jesus loves you, longtom. (when was the last time you went to church? Not going to church anymore? Don't listen to those pagan worshipers, fornicators, drunks, etc.,)

When Buddha was asked if God existed. He said on good ground he believed God existed. If you do bad things too much you will be re-incarnated as a half bred Goat-Pig you know.

Please go pontificate somewhere else, I am not interested in your drivel.