Best Visa for 2 runs to Myanmar and Thailand for US citizen

Hi, 

I know this is simple for some of you, but I get a little lost if there are a few extra moving pieces. I am finishing my teaching contract and need to leave the country to get a TR visa. I want to go to Myanmar and get a 60 day visa and likely extend the visa by either 30 day via immigration in BKK or fly out of the country again. Because my GF is from Myanmar and I find a new job in Myanmar I would like to arrange 2 trips to Myanmar. Can you help clarify or make any suggestions.  

When I fly into Myanmar I need a visa and apparently proof of a flight out of Myanmar (I would like to buy a ticket when I'm sure I want to return if possible) . This visa is good for a 28 day stay and valid 3 months - single entry.  Ok So, I'll stay in Myanmar 2 weeks and fly back to Thailand. Now, for my trip to Thailand I need proof that in 60 days I will exit Thailand... ok, so I fly back to Myanmar within 60 days. Can I still use the Myanmar Visa and pay a re-entry fee (1000 baht I believe?) Where do I get this document? Can I get it at the Airport in BKK? And again, I have to show proof of a flight out of Myanmar...which again, I'd rather decide when I'm in Myanmar just in case I want to stay longer.  And then my return to Thailand... again another proof of an exit? I've heard many members suggest buying the cheapest ticket and then likely just throwing it away... Anyhow... I think I get it, but a little clarity may save me some money and hassles. Ie. Should I entertain a Multiple Entry visa? It seems paying for re-entry is a safer and likely cheaper idea. Thanks. 

AFASIK, you are eligible to apply for Tourism eVisa which is as you mentioned above, allow you a 28 days stay and valid for ninety (90) days from the date of issue. However, it is only issued as single entry and there are no re-entry permits available as you inquired and you would need to apply twice. You are not required to show onward air ticket from the information provided on the Myanmar Government eVisa web page  https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/NoticetoTourists.aspx

• Like 1

Thanks Zanaka that is very clear and convenient. Is there a way to avoid paying the $50 eVisa fee for the 2nd entry? For example - are there advantages to getting a visa directly from the Myanmar Embassy in Thailand. I know it's a hassle, but specifically if I could re-enter Myanmar for the 2nd trip would be helpful. Thanks 

19 hours ago, rcoyote said:

Thanks Zanaka that is very clear and convenient. Is there a way to avoid paying the $50 eVisa fee for the 2nd entry? For example - are there advantages to getting a visa directly from the Myanmar Embassy in Thailand. I know it's a hassle, but specifically if I could re-enter Myanmar for the 2nd trip would be helpful. Thanks 

If you can wait 3 days, go for a tourist visa at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok, Here are some tips https://www.myanmarvisa.com/bangkok.htm

• Like 1

Rcoyote, Just a couple things you might want to be aware of --

1. Last time I was at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok, they'd doubled the price of the tourist visa (3 day wait) to thb 1600; so there's no longer that big of a difference with the $50 evisa (which I've read is now accepted at some overland crossings).

2. When I got my Thai tourist visa in Yangon, I submitted a reservation for a hotel in Thailand (just 1 night, & via agoda), but no flight ticket, and had no problems.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 10:50 AM, jan2557 said:

Rcoyote, Just a couple things you might want to be aware of --

1. Last time I was at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok, they'd doubled the price of the tourist visa (3 day wait) to thb 1600; so there's no longer that big of a difference with the $50 evisa (which I've read is now accepted at some overland crossings).

2. When I got my Thai tourist visa in Yangon, I submitted a reservation for a hotel in Thailand (just 1 night, & via agoda), but no flight ticket, and had no problems.

Thanks, I imagine since I have an apartment in Bangkok, I could show my contract or last receipt of rent rather than a reservation.   And also are there any downsides of the eVisa? it sounds a great deal easier. 

On 6/21/2017 at 9:01 AM, zanaka said:

If you can wait 3 days, go for a tourist visa at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok, Here are some tips https://www.myanmarvisa.com/bangkok.htm

Can you return to the Myanmar Embassy one week later? I can only do 1 or 2 days. But then again the next message says the cost radically jumped on the visa. The eVisa seems like the way to go now.

Edited by rcoyote
missed an earlier post.