How do you get rid of pesky fruit flies?

jack2964

I have scoured the internet and the most popular method is apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish detergent. So I bought a bottle from Makro and set up a few traps around the house where I often see these critters. 2 days passed and nothing's been caught. And they continue to buzz everywhere.

I give up!

How do you guys tackle this problem?

I have scoured the internet and the most popular method is apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish detergent. So I bought a bottle from Makro and set up a few traps around the house where I often see these critters. 2 days passed and nothing's been caught. And they continue to buzz everywhere.
I give up!
How do you guys tackle this problem?

From experience, find the source of their food which may be hidden such as some potatoes that rolled under a shelf hiding them while they had a feast. Removed the food source and they either died off or left on their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

As previous post states....get rid of fruit source. banana peels, old  potatoes, any produce refuse. Take out trash immediately. Virtually all fruit has fruit fly eggs on it.....you just have to refrigerate it and get rid of the peelings before they hatch.

To be honest, you won't! They are the pest from hell if you have certain types of fruit - i.e. Mango / Rose Apple or similar. I have tried all sorts of different fixes including the Thai professional growers chemical sprays for the fruit trees and despite spraying fruit trees weekly, these damned things still get into the fruit and destroy it.

The only method I have seen that actually works is the laborious one where each individual fruit is wrapped in paper and then bagged in a plastic bag and stapled whilst still on the tree.

I have had literally hundreds of kilos of Mango / Putzah / Rose Apple and Bananas destroyed by these pests.

As previous posters stated, getting rid of their food is a start, but if you have any fruit trees around your place, they will be back.

You may try out some chemicals and if you find anything that works effectively please reply and let me know as I have tried many different chemicals and nothing keeps them away. (Thais seem to have a few different names for them too - Meng Wee and Meng Thong are common names here)

Good luck!

Thanks to all your input.

They are much tougher to eliminate than house flies yet those Youtube videos made it look so easy.

Ah well I guess I'll need to keep all my fruits in the fridge.

Many years ago in my innocence I tried to get rid of the fruit flies that enjoyed my mangoes.I visited the Agricultural college near Pattaya and met the expert who I nicknamed 'Lord of the flies'.  We were surrounded by flies in containers and many that were not. He gave advice regarding hanging plastic bottles containing some household mixture, from the trees. I tried it and yes, the traps caught many flies, but still the problem prevailed. Now older and being wiser, maybe? I gave in and now get enjoyment out of watching the squirrels and birds feasting on my mangoes. Sometimes they leave a few for me. :saai:

5 hours ago, Generalchaos said:

To be honest, you won't! They are the pest from hell if you have certain types of fruit - i.e. Mango / Rose Apple or similar. I have tried all sorts of different fixes including the Thai professional growers chemical sprays for the fruit trees and despite spraying fruit trees weekly, these damned things still get into the fruit and destroy it.

The only method I have seen that actually works is the laborious one where each individual fruit is wrapped in paper and then bagged in a plastic bag and stapled whilst still on the tree.

I have had literally hundreds of kilos of Mango / Putzah / Rose Apple and Bananas destroyed by these pests.

As previous posters stated, getting rid of their food is a start, but if you have any fruit trees around your place, they will be back.

You may try out some chemicals and if you find anything that works effectively please reply and let me know as I have tried many different chemicals and nothing keeps them away. (Thais seem to have a few different names for them too - Meng Wee and Meng Thong are common names here)

Good luck!

Some confusion here! The OP is referring to household pests the tiny flies that hand around fruit and veg.

The above post - and some responses - refer to insects that attack growing fruits such as mango drilling into the core ans spoiling the fruit. I have tried 'bonneting' the hanging fruits with newspaper cones (laborious) which does work but difficulty in seeing when fruits are ripe. Pests seem to affect trees grown from grafts or hybrids rather than seed grown. i have been directed to a shop which sells specially made fruit bonnets treated with (I think!) a pesticide which are - according to my source - durable for at least two seasons.

Household 'fruit' flies as said, remove all fruit and veg peelings rapidly (mine go in the compost pit)

Get a jar.  Take a piece of paper and fold it into a cone with a very small, fruit-fly sized hole at the end (a coffee filter with the end nipped will work dandy too).  Put some fruit in the jar and place the cone in the jar opening.  Tape the edges touching the jar.  The fruit flies can fly/crawl into the small hole, but can't get out.  Dispose in any manner you see fit.  

Edited by connda

Chomphu waxapples are a favorit of the fruitflies, you need a strong chemical  to get rid of them. The farmers can grow them though, i wonder how much pesticide is still in the fruit. Myself i gave up growing them.

There is a product in Australia that works against fruitflies, it's a natural spray....i forgot the name though..

Better get rid of hosttree's for fruitflies or you'll get more of them. They never stung my mango's though.