Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If the woman was not in the wrong lane, there would have been no incident, regardless of the pick-up driver's previous altercations or the speed he was doing. 

Sure, he probably wasn't driving with due care and attention, however that in itself did not cause the accident, the positioning and the poor driving of the bike rider on a blind bend did. 

It could be argued that driving a bike you have more responsibility rather than the other way around. Especially if you have passengers. 

If we all drove around making allowances for the idiots on motorbikes here, no-one would travel over 15km/h <deleted>.

Father forgive you ,for you do not understand of what you speak .

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If the woman was not in the wrong lane, there would have been no incident, regardless of the pick-up driver's previous altercations or the speed he was doing. 

Sure, he probably wasn't driving with due care and attention, however that in itself did not cause the accident, the positioning and the poor driving of the bike rider on a blind bend did. 

It could be argued that driving a bike you have more responsibility rather than the other way around. Especially if you have passengers. 

If we all drove around making allowances for the idiots on motorbikes here, no-one would travel over 15km/h <deleted>.

She wasn't in the 'wrong lane'. She was crossing the street to merge into traffic, 'shooting the gap' like they all do. A gap that would have been big enough if not for the speeding pickup who doesn't seem to consider that there are (usually faster traveling) motorbikes on this road and the fast approaching 'chicane' bends ahead. Mind you, with a reported double the limit blood alcohol level, I don't think he had much of his frontal lobes working on the issues.

It is not a blind bend... but you wouldn't know this.

Not making allowances for motorbikes indicates that you either don't drive here or don't spend a lot of time here. No big deal. Maybe your are qualified in other ways.

If you don't appreciate that the Thai 'me first' attitude while driving prevails even more strongly on the more plentiful, smaller, faster motorbikes, then see above.

One ALWAYS has to make allowances for other drivers, not only in Thailand. But here it's mandatory and not to do so is entirely at your peril.

What I think happened is this;

She glances to the right and sees the Oz pick-up but it is a fair way off and she thinks she could easily get across the lane at this point. Then she looks to the left but her view of the M/c coming from the left is difficult; obscured by the pick-up in front of the Oz one. She moves her M/c forward just a little (about 1/2 metre) and then sees the M/c. She is now committed to waiting for the M/c to pass before she can pull right over. Tragically the Oz pick-up whacks her. It came onto her way too fast and did not slow at all. Even at the moment of impact the M/c coming from the left had not fully passed by. 

It is evident that he is going to fast. He nearly loses control just 1/2 second before the collision on the outside of his lane.

Speeding is different to driving too fast.

Edited by owl sees all

10 minutes ago, dexjnr555 said:

Shocking story, RIP to the lady and wishing a speedy recovery for her two sons. Yet another nail in the coffin for farangs living in Thailand.

I think the two sons were also killed.

11 minutes ago, dexjnr555 said:

Shocking story, RIP to the lady and wishing a speedy recovery for her two sons. Yet another nail in the coffin for farangs living in Thailand.

2 deaths I believe... 

I am convinced the woman has to share some of the responsibility for what happened, given the irrefutable evidence seen. 

Use your brain and watch the video again , I will give her 20% responsibility and the driver 80%. He drove like a crazy maniac. And mentally out of balance.

19 minutes ago, anto said:

Much more infor on the guy in the News section ,of the Udon Thani  Forum.Some people knew of him before including the Police .A video of the immediate afternat ,

Where do I find this Udon Thani Fourm, News Section?

47 minutes ago, anto said:

Much more infor on the guy in the News section ,of the Udon Thani  Forum.Some people knew of him before including the Police .A video of the immediate afternat ,

So they did shoot his tires out, right out of the officers mouth 'shot about 4-5 times' - witnesses saying he was driving about 100km too ..

Look everybody knows the woman was in the wrong too but she and a child has passed away. This moron was also in the wrong and he should pay for what he has done, simple. He was avoiding police, speeding and was maybe intoxicated. I have NO idea why people on here are trying to defend him, in any civilised court around the world, he would be found guilty 

Edited by JustNo

1 minute ago, JustNo said:

So they did shoot his tires out, right out of the officers mouth 'shot about 4-5 times' 

They shot his tyres right at the end of the chase i believe .? It was to stop him trying to drive away yet again .

3 minutes ago, anto said:

They shot his tyres right at the end of the chase i believe .? It was to stop him trying to drive away yet again .

Yeah they did that after he had crashed according to the officer. The shells seem to be close as well which backs that up 

53 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I have watched it several times thanks, and I see a woman with 2 passengers on a scooter not in full control and crossing into the oncoming lane in traffic while wearing no helmets. A pick up comes around the bend at speed and hits her. 

If he were perfectly sober or driving cautiously I doubt this incident could have been prevented although the outcome may have been more favourable for all involved. 

At least you acknowledge she has to take some responsibility here. Well done. 

'While wearing no helmets'? Whilst it is unlikely wearing helmets would have reduced the carnage, maybe you should have a look at the latest video (1.41) where there is at least one battered helmet visible. This was also included in an earlier photo somewhere in the thread.

Having viewed the facebook video 'several times' you might have noted that the pickup was driving so fast that he needed to cut the corner to ensure he could stay on the road. By doing so, he was very close to swiping the motorbike going the other way. Clearly he was at least partly in the wrong lane and, given the main damage to the pick-up was on the front r/h side, it cannot be a stretch to say that if he had been driving at a normal speed for that location, he could have easily passed by the doomed motorbike.

It is highly likely that the poor lady had made that same maneuver many times before and likely considered that she had left sufficient room for any vehicle, being driven in a normal way for the location, to pass by her without any undue consequences.

You are likely to respond with more victim blaming rhetoric, as is your right, but it might be useful to remove at least one blinker (no helmet) from your future comments. 

Some crazy thinking .Like the lady and son and nephew deserved it ,because they were not wearing helmets .Anyway its done and can not be undone .Maybe it will make some  of us more careful ,and adjust our speed to the road conditions  ,and always allowing for the unexpected which occurs regularly on Thai roads . 

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No.

Having lived here long enough, NOTHING surprises me about motorbike riders regardless of where they come from. If driving 4 (ormore) wheels, one makes allowances for them or one has accidents.

In the video, it is clear that the pickup driver was going way too fast for the road conditions that prevail thus precipitating the inevitable accident.

What we need in Thailand is a few more stay in lane signs or even please try and drive with the traffic not against signs

3 hours ago, anto said:

Some crazy thinking .Like the lady and son and nephew deserved it ,because they were not wearing helmets .Anyway its done and can not be undone .Maybe it will make some  of us more careful ,and adjust our speed to the road conditions  ,and always allowing for the unexpected which occurs regularly on Thai roads . 

More careful!,,,  when ever you leave your driveway and head off into the mayhem, consider that every driver you come across is out to kill you and every rider is verging on suicide.  Bearing  that in mind and adjusting your own techniques -  you stand a reasonable chance of survival. 

5 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

What we need in Thailand is a few more stay in lane signs or even please try and drive with the traffic not against signs

5555555, comedian of the week. 

Watched the CCTV video several times. The Aussie appeared to be speeding and also appeared to be near the center of the road. The victim underestimated its speed and/or her ability to accelerate out of its way  (providing she even saw the pickup).

I, long ago, resolved to not operate motor vehicles on the road in Thailand. I ride a bicycle and would never have attempted what the victim did. For one thing she entered the road without due caution, IMHO. If I rode my bicycles like that, I would have been a victim long ago and would not be here to write this.

2 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Crikey man 25000 - 30000 road kill how many issues can one man shoulder I'm impressed

Well do you want me to say that i could not give a dam as i do not personally know them ?

7 hours ago, anto said:

Well do you want me to say that i could not give a dam as i do not personally know them ?

Well I dont give a damn what you say, as I dont know you personally

Thailand has replaced a culture of enforcement, with a financial culture 

The inevitable results of that are visited on the road users on a daily basis

I wouldn't mention the infamous incidents we are know them

Speeding ,alcohol, red light jumping, and ALL the rest are the NORM

Hence the horrendous road kill, making full use of the selective memory gene would be the best way forward for you, if you have trouble with people who speed and consume alcohol before firing up the jalopy 

Have a nice safe day on Thailands roads

I find it an Area Thing..but where ever i go Motocy , and Cycling Nit Wits in funny shirts are the most unpredictable ,followed by Dogs.The vid plays fine if your not a Biker.?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

where there is at least one battered helmet visible.

Could have been under the seat, doesn't mean anything.

It's kind of negligible seeing as the Aussie guy is doing at least thing illegal things in this situation, and he's still alive. And ontop of that a helmet will not do a whole lot if you are hit by a truck doing 100kmh+

Edited by JustNo

4 minutes ago, JustNo said:

It's kind of negligible seeing as the Aussie guy is doing at least thing illegal things in this situation, and he's still alive. 

the Aussie guy is doing at least thing illegal things in this situation,

So was she, three on a motorbike, none wearing helmets.

Edited by giddyup

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

the Aussie guy is doing at least thing illegal things in this situation,

So was she, three on a motorbike, none wearing helmets.

I honestly have no idea wha your issue is here, you have the a symbol of the Buddha Dharma in your profile pic but you are not acting so wise my friend. She was also at fault but at a far lesser level. He was literally in a police chase fleeing from the law, speeding, cutting corners and possibly intoxicated. Is he your Daddy or something? I don't get it