Beer Of Choice - In The Los

In the Rai!

Whassat then? you mean taht there isn't a giant fish>?

I am afraid that is a photo from California. You will see a thumbnail on this page with that famous photo and the real story about it: http://www.thailandroad.com/trevor/naga.html

I could swear that I saw that photo WAY before 1996 when I used to visit Laos often for my visa run.

Any chance that someone has their facts wrong? :o

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 places I've found for Lao beer in Pattya:

Lennies in soi Diamond (90bt), and another place in Soi Lengkee, about 40yds up from Soi Bukow (70bt).

Chang gets my thumbs up - but only over ice - or it give me a bad head as well. Leo's a good 2nd.

I keep away from Heineken, Singha, Tiger etc, as I cen get all of these in the UK when I'm home.

Just curious what most of us here drink (beer wise). I started out a devoted Chang Man myself but after numerous years of a pounding morning headache I swiched to Leo. I buy 3 large bottles at the store next to my house for 100B and at my local it costs me 45 baht for a small bottle.

I am also seen at another local sucking down a few LCR's (very nice drop indeed).

The reason I ask is that the last time I was in Bangkok, I paid (reluctantly) 150 baht for a small bottle of Leo.

So I want to know who drinks what and how much or little you pay.

:o Same, same; started with singha, then to leo followed reluctantly by heineken; now it's the occasional draught guinness out and the occasional red rosso wine in - there's just nothing to be had out there and it's all too strong - on a visit to Cambodia I found 'ankor' & '333' both greatly superior to any thai beer - great shame - if only siem reap could be returned and those beers made available.

:o Same, same; started with singha, then to leo followed reluctantly by heineken; now it's the occasional draught guinness out and the occasional red rosso wine in - there's just nothing to be had out there and it's all too strong - on a visit to Cambodia I found 'ankor' & '333' both greatly superior to any thai beer - great shame - if only siem reap could be returned and those beers made available.

333 (ba ba ba) is the cheap local swill brewed in Ho Chi Minh City...miles ahead of anything Thailand has to offer. Maybe something to be said for european imperialism/french colonialism...

333 (ba ba ba) is the cheap local swill brewed in Ho Chi Minh City...miles ahead of anything Thailand has to offer. Maybe something to be said for european imperialism/french colonialism...

Got that right, tutsi.

Even the worst S. American beer is better that the swill available in LOS... :D

Got that right, tutsi.

Amen to that, Boon Mee, a huge amen to that

Where the beer selection is limited, I tend to go for Singha...but it definitely does give a bloated feeling much more so than other beers.

Asahi and San Miguel are usually first on my list if available, while the odd Tsing Tao is a nice treat (goes down quicker that water :o )

I've also enjoyed the recently imported Belgian beers around here, the apple one is especially decent and reminds me of Europe...goes down well with a fine meal.

Got that right, tutsi.

Amen to that, Boon Mee, a huge amen to that

Obviously you rocket scientists have never spent the evening drinking Keystone Light or Icehouse. Singha is heads and tails above most American mass produced beer. Now the US microbrews, that is a different story entirely...

My opinion - serious beer drinkers prefer draught beer and the only choice (of draught brewed in Thailand) is Tiger. My regular watering hole is Flaming Moe's in Queen's Park Plaza on Sukhumvit Soi 22. Price of a draught during happy hour (5:30 – 8:30) is 45 Baht after happy hour 55 Baht. If anyone knows of anything that beats this I sure would appreciate hearing about it.

Soi 22 area - stay away from the Tiger draught on Thursdays at lest the earlier hours or until you have seen enough rounds drawn from the pump. Thursdays is the day the pumps are cleaned. Although they taught the Tiger crew how to clean the pumps they never taught them to properly flush the lines through with enough clean water afterward. This has been mention to Tiger numerous times by pubs carrying their draught and I'm sure that it will only be a few more years before they get it sorted out.

Carlsberg draught was the absolute hands down winner. An earlier post asked what happened to them. As I understand - Carlsberg was brewed by Chang and after a dispute with Chang they left Thailand and quickly. I remember seeing it out in a matter of days. Chang Draught was quickly introduced. Chang didn't even bother replacing the pumps. They had plastic Chang labels fitted to past over the Carlsberg logo's on their beer pumps. They replaced the pump handles with Chang handles although you can still spot some Chang pumps with a Carlsberg handle.

Earlier post asked about a bar that has Asahi. The Silver Dollar Bar in Washington Square. The Shila Korean Restaurant on So 22 has Asahi draught. Don't know the price as I always drink soju with Korean food.

It's hard to beat the price specials on premium imported draught offered at the Robin Hood Pub on Sukhumvit Road (across from the park next to the Emporium complex). Seems like they run a special every night featuring one of the brews. A special will start at about seven till closing. If you're into premium brews this place is worth checking out.

Since I have yet to find a distributor willing to set up a pump and deliver kegs to my apartment – my bottle beer of choice at home is Leo. Tried them all but find Leo to my liking. Most are okay, nothing to write home about and the only one I poured down the drain was Cheers beer. Is there anyone who has ever met someone that thinks Cheers is a good beer?

Favorite bottle beer is Beerlao (Beer Laos). A bottle of Beerlao at Flaming Moe's happy hour is 55 Baht.

Flaming Moe's - Simpson's Theme Bar

www.geocities.com/bangkokfm

Worst draught beer in Thailand – Heineken – no contest there.

My favorite beer quote:

"Beer is proof that God loves us."

Benjamin Franklin

Time for me to go out and grab a draught.

Johnny

I agree with the above, the worst beer of all is that bloody Singha, I have never had a headache like that!!

I have a horrible reaction to the regular Singha beer and I know quite a few others that are affected as well. 2 glasses is enough to give me a shocking headache (is it true that there is something nasty in it, or is that a vicious rumour?). I can drink any other Singha variety, just not the regular one. Chang Light also nocks me around (but not the heavy).

My preferred is San Miguel pilsener - a good beer with the added virtue of being practically hangover-free, fantastic stuff.