Thai Airways rated as world’s best economy airline

webfact

I would never fly with Quatar due to the bad way they are treating their employees. The stewardesses are handled like animals and they are sort of as a harem for the owner. Who also owns the airport so I heard. Then I prefer to pay more or have less good service.

58 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

O.K If You are Wealthy.......OR Stupid !!

That's about what I'd pay to fly Business Class to Vancouver, based on the searching I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.

I noted on a travel website recently though that it would be better (cheaper) to fly in May or September instead of June - August so maybe I'll delay my plans a bit and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Captor said:

I would never fly with Quatar due to the bad way they are treating their employees. The stewardesses are handled like animals and they are sort of as a harem for the owner. Who also owns the airport so I heard. Then I prefer to pay more or have less good service.

:cheesy:

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Actually it's not just Qatar Air. I think most of the M.E. airlines are similar. I was on a Nile cruise a few years ago and there was a Korean girl (and her mother) on the same trip. She was cabin crew for Emirates Air and she told me how they had to act (on the job) because literally any complaint could get them fired and there were something like 10,000 resumes for every position that comes open. I have no doubt that it is the same for Gulf, Etihad and Oman airlines as well.

Then you can go to the other extreme with some airlines that are unionized and the staff know they can do almost anything (or nothing) and can't be fired. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Actually it's not just Qatar Air. I think most of the M.E. airlines are similar. I was on a Nile cruise a few years ago and there was a Korean girl (and her mother) on the same trip. She was cabin crew for Emirates Air and she told me how they had to act (on the job) because literally any complaint could get them fired and there were something like 10,000 resumes for every position that comes open. I have no doubt that it is the same for Gulf, Etihad and Oman airlines as well.

Then you can go to the other extreme with some airlines that are unionized and the staff know they can do almost anything (or nothing) and can't be fired. 

Yeah, I can imagine that considering the muslim way of threaten their women. However Quatar are the worst of them all due to investigation journalists for a newspaper in Sweden. Actually I dont go with muslim airways at all. Period.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:27 PM, Craig krup said:

Qatar is good. Much better than Etihad. Flying into Bangkok Etihad dared to serve a Thai meal with about two spoonfuls of rice in it: minor mutiny. 

Careful. 

Qatar are flying 787 for most of their European legs. These are more cramped than Airasia.  Your opinion based on 777 or a380 or even a330 will quickly change once stuck on the nightmareliner.. 

Skytrax is a con, they've let the odd negative review fly but they carefully screen reviews so that in aggregate they eventually support the current rating or the next one planned. i.e. none of my reviews have been approved. 

Also interesting Qatar is becoming more muslim focused, the last flight they did not serve alcohol and said due to some festivity said we don't publically offer it, I told them I've never been on Qatar flight that hasnt, they promtly fetched me a glass of beer, smiles and apologises, but couldnt give me the can eh. Wasn't long before the row next clocked on and asked for wine. 

No thanks. At least Etihad is consistent in their mediocreness.

Edited by buyacinux
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I agree TG has the best Economy Class but it is certainly not the cheapest

I have a feeling this is related to TG's unique competitiveness for the lowest load factors .. Nothing like a 777 and 4 seats to yourself to get the thumbs up.. 

Edited by buyacinux

1 hour ago, buyacinux said:

Careful. 

Qatar are flying 787 for most of their European legs. These are more cramped than Airasia.  Your opinion based on 777 or a380 or even a330 will quickly change once stuck on the nightmareliner.. 

Qatar are converting their 777 to the squeezy 10 abreast format now too, so those aircraft are best avoided.  Good news is they fly the A350 to several Euro ports - I was on one out of Munich earlier in the year.  That route had been 787 / A330 prior to the A350 joining the fleet. 

Edited by moojar

On 6/23/2017 at 7:13 AM, Kerryd said:

I imagine a large part of that would have to do with the "via Dubai" part. Emirates is subsidized by the Dubai emirate and as that is their home (/hub) probably pay a lot less for landing/gate fees (and fuel) than Thai does.

There may be other charges/fees involved as well that.

For example, in 2008 I booked a round-trip business class ticket on Philippines Air from Bangkok to Vancouver (via Manila of course). As I was going to Canada to pick up my father and bring him to Thailand for a holiday, I booked him a round-trip business class ticket from Vancouver to Bangkok (via Manila).

I flew to Canada, picked up dad, we flew together back to Thailand, then he flew home to Canada on his own at the end of the vacation.

His ticket was 9,000 baht more than mine, despite it being the exact same route, same class, even the same seats ! It had to do with the fact that my "trip" originated in Bangkok, while his "trip" originated in Vancouver. Didn't matter that I booked both tickets at the same time (from Thailand). It had to do with where the "trip" started from.

I have read also that the language selection when booking on airline websites can sometimes make for differential pricing.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:58 AM, dbrenn said:

Thai Airways has this annoying habit of bussing passengers to the gate from aircraft parked in a remote part of the airfield. Happens a lot, particularly on flights that arrive late in the day.

Isn't this more an airport gate capacity issue, especially at capacity constrained airports like Swampy, and not under an airline's control?

• Like 1

On 2017-6-23 at 9:58 AM, dbrenn said:

Thai Airways has this annoying habit of bussing passengers to the gate from aircraft parked in a remote part of the airfield. Happens a lot, particularly on flights that arrive late in the day.

7 minutes ago, CutiePi said:

Isn't this more an airport gate capacity issue, especially at capacity constrained airports like Swampy, and not under an airline's control?

A lot of airlines do that actually. I've been "bused" from a Lufthansa flight in Frankfurt in a windowless bus in February with the snow blowing. Been "bused" to/from planes many times in Dubai and Bahrain as well.

I find it most often happens when on an airline's "short haul" and/or domestic flights. 

I think they like to keep the gates open for the long haul and international flights (and remember - they charge "gate fees" to the airlines so it would make more sense for them to reserve the gates for other airlines so they can collect more money from them).

I've also found that you are more likely to be bused from a plane (on arrival) than to a plane (when departing). 

20 hours ago, Naam said:

if you scroll back you can see that i made that comparison.

Thai...........THB 164,950.-

Emirates....THB 104.400.-

Difference..THB    60.550.- = USD 1,800.-

Sorry - I didn't see that! And I always fly Emirates when I can - I have no complaints at all about the airline or the staff, except once when a check in girl/b***h at Glasgow Airport made me go to the back of the queue like a naughty schoolboy because my check in baggage was slightly overweight and I had to transfer some to my carry on holdall. When I commented that Manchester Airport just added the two together "she said "Aye, well ye're nae in Manchester now, sonny, ye're in Glasgae!"  Should've reported the cow! "Sonny" indeed - I was in my 60's at the time!

• Like 1

I fly Thai Economy Class often and it is fine, but mainly because the flights I'm on are never full and usually have a seat open next to me...sometimes even an entire row to myself. Staff are friendly, but not overly so.

I also fly Delta Business Class as well as Economy Class. The Delta Business Class service is nice, but can't compare it to Thai as have never had the opportunity. However, I find the Delta Economy service to be much more extensive, with more service...more beverage options...more cocktail options...and even an individual 500ml bottle of water for every passenger. The downside is that Delta flights are almost always to capacity, which takes away the "perceived" more comfortable Thai economy experience because of the half full flights.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:19 PM, DipStick said:

I have flown HK-KL-LHR return with Malaysian four times in the last 18 odd months, admittedly in business class but every flight has been magnificent. The U.K. leg on the A380 is one of the most comfortable and quiet flights I have ever taken, the food fantastic and cabin crew brilliant. It also helps that MH use T4 at Heathrow, instead of the circus known as T3.

as for pricing, I can get almost 2 business class seat on MH for the cost of one on CX, and yet both are in the OneWorld set up so I can claim mileage on my CX card with MH.

For those knocking Garuda, I suggest you take an International  flight with them now, yes they did have their problems but have certainly turned themselves around

Do they still fly international...I thought they reimagined themselves into a domestic low-cost carrier.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CutiePi said:

Do they still fly international...I thought they reimagined themselves into a domestic low-cost carrier.

Please stop thinking, how on earth (or in the skies) would a very upmarket national airline reposition themselves as a domestic low cost airline. Sure they have had one strange incident and sure they had a plane blown out of the skies by terrorism, but believe me, they are a magic long haul airline to fly with, they make TG .look stupid .

15 hours ago, DipStick said:

Please stop thinking, how on earth (or in the skies) would a very upmarket national airline reposition themselves as a domestic low cost airline. Sure they have had one strange incident and sure they had a plane blown out of the skies by terrorism, but believe me, they are a magic long haul airline to fly with, they make TG .look stupid .

That's not hard.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, moojar said:

Qatar are converting their 777 to the squeezy 10 abreast format now too, so those aircraft are best avoided.  Good news is they fly the A350 to several Euro ports - I was on one out of Munich earlier in the year.  That route had been 787 / A330 prior to the A350 joining the fleet. 

Yes, I've experienced this on the 777. Qatar is turning to shit, yet whilst the $$ flows into Skytrax they'll maintain their rating..  I'd also personally like to see Akbar Al Baker eat one of their sandwichs they serve, it's almost as bad as the cardboard chicken hot snack TG serve on domestic flights (okay small exaggeration, nothing is worse than that). All hail $kytrax

Edited by buyacinux

On 2017-6-22 at 8:33 PM, wakeupplease said:

11th is not the best by a long way but properganda says best, the place is No1 at ONE thing BullS>>>

Yes, I would have thought Qantas would be above Thai Airways, wonder how much grease palming there was on this.

I always look for the best price, one year its Qantas, the other its Emirates, the other Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways used to have specials, but seldom see them, although I do fly them to Swampy when travelling internationally, otherwise its Air Asia who are miles cheaper and as good if not better domestically.

Slight tangent, but Qatar has one flight that the smokers would like to be on. My pal is a former special forces soldier who spent a decade guarding the old emir. They have planes with massive playrooms inside for the royal family and kids to move around in. But they rotate the normal Qatar crew through them, and they do the normal procedures. So you have a plane full of total chaos - kids running around going nuts, Arab guards smoking - while the crew (totally ignored) go through the safety procedure. It all continues through talk-off, flight and landing. 

Edited by Craig krup
Typo

flew return  Bangkok to Sydney in feb with Emirates, unfortunately the flight to Sydney was with Quantas, was really bad, food was crap so was the service and seating, hadnt flown with them for a few years, return with Emirates was brilliant. I fly Bangkok to Perth(return from Brisbane) with Thai usually(direct flight)and its great too, cant complain at all, great price, nice food and good service. Flew to the US on Emirates last year and it was great too, really long haul but the food was great and the  seating wasnt too bad, I also use Singapore and Malaysia airlines at times and both are good as well. 

On 2017-6-24 at 1:42 AM, Kerryd said:

The headline for this topic is misleading. Thai did not win an award for being the best "Economy Class Airline", they won for having the best Economy Class "Cabin". According to the millions of survey results Skytrax had, people thought that the Economy section of Thai Air flights was better than the Economy sections of other airlines.

The award for "Best Economy Airline" (i.e. the best of the cheapest airlines) went to AirAsia.

NO passenger rides in the pilots cabin. Pointless comment and pointless survey.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

NO passenger rides in the pilots cabin. Pointless comment and pointless survey.

It's even more pointless when you don't have a clue what you are talking about and decide to comment any ways.

The pilot's area is called the "cockpit", not a "cabin". Nobody said anything about passengers riding in the cockpit.

As for my statement about the Economy Class "Cabin" - 

"In commercial air travel, particularly in airliners, cabins may be divided into several parts. These can include travel class sections in medium and large aircraft, areas for flight attendants, the galley and storage for in-flight service. Seats are mostly arranged in rows and alleys. The higher the travel class, the more space is provided. Cabins of the different travel classes are often divided by curtains, sometimes called class dividers, but not on all airlines. Passengers are not usually allowed to visit higher travel class cabins in commercial flights."

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2017 at 12:22 PM, spidermike007 said:

It does not take much these days, to be a top ranked North American airline. The US airlines are some of the worst. The only one I find to be decent is Delta. And Virgin America is not bad, but not great.

And Thai Air is not an economy airline, by any stretch of the imagination. I think they were implying but economy class. Not economy airline. Dismally poor journalism. I have only flown them a few times. Usually I find them to be grossly overpriced, and the food and baggage handling leave something to be desired. I have also felt their service is on the arrogant side. I usually avoid Thai Air. 

i just flew ThaiAirways from Tokyo to Chiang Mai and was offered no assistance with my baggage at any point after requesting a SSR and notifying Thai prior to boarding in Tokyo.  had surgery in L.A. and was advised of lifting limits by my doctor.  they where aware of this.  they are arrogant. and would not reply to my complaint, nor would they reply to Star Alliance Mr. Christain Daegar head of customer service Franfurt, nor United Customer Care. no reply to either parties from Thai Airways for 2 months.  i had to go to their office. of course they had no idea of any complaint being lodged against them by 3 separate agencies.  typical Thai attitude F off farang.  ANA is much better and i usually fly with them.  thought i would try Thai.  first and last time.  this airline would not survive in the free market.

Edited by malibukid