What do ya'll think of the new CX-5?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, al007 said:

Maybe just a provoking post by a " tirekicker"

In any case not my opinion from a former  Mercedes driver, a highly technical car with unbelievable fuel consumption

Honda are still using the archaic 1800cc engine that first began life around 2005 !!

Recently the brilliant 1500cc turbo engine was introduced to the Civic but Mazda are still way ahead on technology and cars sales.

I've owned a Mazda CX 5/ 2L Benzine (2014 Model) in my Homecountry for almost 2 Years. I was driving a Honda HRV 6 Months from a Friend here in Thailand. So my Conclusion: You can't really compare this Models: Mazda is way out the better Car in every Aspects. Much more confortable. Excellent steering and handling. Great seats. Smooth, efficient powertrains. It seems, the HRV is a inflated Honda Jazz.

5 hours ago, Skyboogie said:

Yes. I seek your validation.

I rented one for a month in Hawaii  -  nicest car I have driven in a long time, side radar warning when changing lanes, rear camera's for back up, very comfortable for those of us with a wide midsection :sleep:  average gas use, not bad, not good, but I did mostly super highway driving averaging a hundred miles a day at times.  Killer sound system.

If the Car makers had the Balls to reviel their new models all at the same time , but with no Badges , Benz n BMW on price alone wouldn't sell anything ..they don't justify the extra Over a Japanese Car. Try a Nissan top Teana against a BMW, can you justify the extra millions, I can't anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My wifes  CX-5 (2.5ltr petrol) has been great. Far better than her previous CR-V.

Can't really compare the Mazda to the HR-V. The Honda loses in just about every dept. 

Driving dynamics are good for a Japanese SUV. But as good as it is it still feels underdamped and vague if I get into in straight from my Merc.

7 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Looks good for a cheap car. 5 years guarantee ? Is it the maximum that we can get for this type of car in Thailand ? Any other make offering more than 5 years ?

A lot give you only 3 years, so 5 years here is about as good as it gets.

The pic is left hand drive model so it's not Thailand model for sure. Mazda makes good drivers car but I find the first gen cx5 very cramped inside especially rear passenger seats. Crv and xtrail wins hands down in term of interior space.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm loving my 2017 Cx5. I had a 2014 Cr-V before that but think the Mazda is much better all around. The auto open and close rear hatch is very convenient and the Bose speaker and sun roof options are highly recommended. 

I'm loving my 2017 Cx5. I had a 2014 Cr-V before that but think the Mazda is much better all around. The auto open and close rear hatch is very convenient and the Bose speaker and sun roof options are highly recommended. 

If you buy in Thailand, that's still the face-lifted first gen. But I agree Mazda is well spec'd. 2014 crv is really old car for that year. Outdated engine, 5 speed gearbox and average spec. One thing im sure crv beats cx5 hands down in passenger roominess. I tried cx5 and it's too cramped behind.

19 hours ago, tirekicker said:

Honda are still using the archaic 1800cc engine that first began life around 2005 !!

Recently the brilliant 1500cc turbo engine was introduced to the Civic but Mazda are still way ahead on technology and cars sales.

Mazda sell more than honda? 

That 1.5 turbo isn't in our cr-v but some other countries have it with it. I've heard no plans to put the 1,5 in the hr-v. That would be nice. Time to dump the 1.8. 

For me, it would be a tossup between the 2wd diesel cx-5 (good performance and economy) or the new cr-v (but diesel seems overpriced)

29 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Mazda sell more than honda? 

That 1.5 turbo isn't in our cr-v but some other countries have it with it. I've heard no plans to put the 1,5 in the hr-v. That would be nice. Time to dump the 1.8. 

For me, it would be a tossup between the 2wd diesel cx-5 (good performance and economy) or the new cr-v (but diesel seems overpriced)

The 1.5 Turbo is currently only available in the Civic here in Thailand. Didn't know that this engine was in the CRV in other countries which sounds interesting.

In Europe a 3 cylinder One liter Turbo is available in the Civic with talk of fitting this engine to the Jazz - Fit but yet to happen.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/04/2019-honda-fit-rumored-to-receive-1-0l-turbo-engine-hybrid-powertrain.html

16 hours ago, Pdaz said:

My wifes  CX-5 (2.5ltr petrol) has been great. Far better than her previous CR-V.

Can't really compare the Mazda to the HR-V. The Honda loses in just about every dept. 

Driving dynamics are good for a Japanese SUV. But as good as it is it still feels underdamped and vague if I get into in straight from my Merc.

Good for Mazda then, its new,the CRV and the Fortuna are older than Gods Dog.

The 1.5 Turbo is currently only available in the Civic here in Thailand. Didn't know that this engine was in the CRV in other countries which sounds interesting.
In Europe a 3 cylinder One liter Turbo is available in the Civic with talk of fitting this engine to the Jazz - Fit but yet to happen.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/04/2019-honda-fit-rumored-to-receive-1-0l-turbo-engine-hybrid-powertrain.html

The new crv only comes with 1.6 turbo diesel and the old 2.4 NA. Like other Japanese car makers, Honda have tendency to use same engines across 3 or 4 car generations.

The pic is left hand drive model so it's not Thailand model for sure. Mazda makes good drivers car but I find the first gen cx5 very cramped inside especially rear passenger seats. Crv and xtrail wins hands down in term of interior space.

The CX-5 has less space for the rear passengers than other (larger) cars, indeed. But it is always enough space for my Thai relatives...

Does anyone has launch date and pricing for the new CX-5? Im actually for the first time considering a Japanese car again.  I recently tried the old CX-5, and its the best driving dynamics I had in a Japanese car. Interior, rattling is way better than any other brand like Toyota or Honda. 

Judging from the pictures from the OP,  the new one looks even better!

Edited by mortenaa

Just now, Gary A said:

I like everything about the Mazda except the price. If I wanted to spend that much money, I'd buy a Pajero.

Starting at 1.2.. That's not bad. You get what you pay for! BMW X3 is 3.5.. 

I like everything about the Mazda except the price. If I wanted to spend that much money, I'd buy a Pajero.

PPVs (pick-up based 7-seater) are cheaper because of the lower taxes.

The Pajero is not a bad car, but is more a truck than a car.

If you need a large, rugged car and have to drive a lot off-road, the Pajero is a better option than the CX-5.

The CX-5 is smaller but has far more better on-road qualities than PPVs.

3 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Starting at 1.2.. That's not bad. You get what you pay for! BMW X3 is 3.5.. 

Add a diesel and a few options to the price and you're looking at about 1.5 million.

4 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Does anyone has launch date and pricing for the new CX-5? Im actually for the first time considering a Japanese car again.  I recently tried the old CX-5, and its the best driving dynamics I had in a Japanese car. Interior, rattling is way better than any other brand like Toyota or Honda. 

Judging from the pictures from the OP,  the new one looks even better!

There was recently a minor model change. I'm not aware of a new model, but saw the current OZ one and the front looks different from the one here. I think the diesel 2wd would be the best buy (quite fast for a suv), if 4wd and some of the safety equipment / navi isn't needed.

There was recently a minor model change. I'm not aware of a new model, but saw the current OZ one and the front looks different from the one here. I think the diesel 2wd would be the best buy (quite fast for a suv), if 4wd and some of the safety equipment / navi isn't needed.

I have the 2015 2.2L diesel, which comes in AWD (without any navi). I don't think the diesel is available in 2WD. In Thailand the current model was updated early 2016 (not much change other than horizontal grille, different day running lights and better dashboard electronics). From my observation the updated models are released in Thailand about a year after their release in Australia and the US. I'm looking forward to the latest model being launched in Thailand within the next 9 months or so.