what has happened to the Hua Hin ferry?

Asiantravel

I usually cycle past Bali Hai lighthouse and up Pratumnak hill every day about the same time as the ferry is passing the lighthouse but I've noticed over the last few days it hasn't gone and it's sitting alongside the other two similar vessels which have been there for weeks now.

and it was such a beautiful day with perfect sea conditions.

Maybe it was their intention all along not to offer this service during the low season but I notice the staff still seem to be carrying out maintenance duties.

does anyone know what has happened?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They changed the sailing times from Pattaya to Hua Hin..

Departure time was at 10AM,now its 2PM.....

There have been many reports of very low ridership...

So I think they keep changing times to see when the most passengers want to go..

If they cut the expensive 1250 baht one way price in half I think they would have a lot more customers and make more money......

Edited by fforest1

I am surprised that the usual posters who praised this ferry service and defended the issue I had raised in an earlier post many weeks ago have not yet come to defend the low ridership, if indeed it is the case.  Indeed that was the justification for ordering 2 more ferries.  Of course it is a pseudo government partnership so perhaps there were more other compelling reasons to a lot of money for 2 more ?

19 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I am surprised that the usual posters who praised this ferry service and defended the issue I had raised in an earlier post many weeks ago have not yet come to defend the low ridership, if indeed it is the case.  Indeed that was the justification for ordering 2 more ferries.  Of course it is a pseudo government partnership so perhaps there were more other compelling reasons to a lot of money for 2 more ?

they now have ROYAL  1,2,3 and 4 and it was my understanding that they intended to use one of the two extra vessels between Sathahip and Koh Chang.

that would be great because there is no longer any other way of travelling from Pattaya to Koh Chang other than a death trap minivan:bah:

49 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

So I think they keep changing times to see when the most passengers want to go..

If they cut the expensive 1250 baht one way price in half I think they would have a lot more customers and make more money......

thanks for solving the mystery:smile:

2 PM doesn't sound to me like a very practical time to make that journey?

10 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

they now have ROYAL  1,2,3 and 4 and it was my understanding that they intended to use one of the two extra vessels between Sathahip and Koh Chang.

that would be great because there is no longer any other way of travelling from Pattaya to Koh Chang other than a death trap minivan:bah:

Hire a car? Drive yourself? 

6 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

well that's hardly a financially practical solution is it?:blink:

hire a car and then let it sit there for days until you want to come back?:giggle:

I hate that drive to Koh Chang.  Terrible highway.  And poor public transport options, as you say.  Wonder how long the ferry would take???

21 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Too simple to understand,cut prices and increase sales.............no that,s not in the thai mindset :whistling:

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I hate that drive to Koh Chang.  Terrible highway.  And poor public transport options, as you say.  Wonder how long the ferry would take???

It's good to have a car once on koh Chang however I have  always found.

18 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

well that's hardly a financially practical solution is it?:blink:

hire a car and then let it sit there for days until you want to come back?:giggle:

Oh, fair enough. Me,when I go somewhere I like to have a look around not plant my arse in the same spot for 3 days and due to the terrain I don't mind the convenience of having my car there with me. Do a little exploring. But that's just me.

8 minutes ago, petermik said:

Too simple to understand,cut prices and increase sales.............no that,s not in the thai mindset :whistling:

No no no the Thai mindset is less sales higher prices. Always has been. Low season can't get enough falangs raise prices. Simple.

12 minutes ago, petermik said:

I am sure they know the price is too high...

But higher transportation prices seems to be part of Thailand 4.0.....

Like all the high speed rails they want to build,you can

be sure they will not be cheap to ride... 

Edited by fforest1

Just now, pegman said:

I've done fine going beach to beach by songthauw.

Up to you as they say. To each his own. I got my own car so I pretty much drive everywhere in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, starky said:

you are joking! 

I like to stay in Bailan and I enjoy the exercise of walking to Bangbao which is the next village. why do I need a car?

in fact I would prefer to stay off the roads as much as possible once there because of the way those kamikaze white songthaew drivers (and even some other vehicles) speed around blind bends and hills as well as the inexperienced and delusional tourists who think they have quickly mastered the art of speeding around on a motorbike in that environment:giggle: 

4 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

you are joking! 

I like to stay in Bailan and I enjoy the exercise of walking to Bangbao which is the next village. why do I need a car?

in fact I would prefer to stay off the roads as much as possible once there because of the way those kamikaze white songthaew drivers (and even some other vehicles) speed around blind bends and hills as well as the inexperienced and delusional tourists who think they have quickly mastered the art of speeding around on a motorbike in that environment:giggle: 

Mate all I was doing was offering an alternative to the guy who didn't want to catch a minibus. That's it. If you don't want a car fine. Personally I quite enjoy driving the car I have no fear of Thailand roads and quite frequently drive long distances. Im an Aussie so putting in 6-700 km behind the wheel is no big thing and when I get where I am going I like having my car with. Is that ok?

Edited by starky

11 minutes ago, starky said:

Good point.  It's actually pretty much a necessity! LOL Scooters on those roads after a rain are really dangerous.

12 hours ago, thaitero said:

They do have FB-page where you can see recent photos, promotions etc

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalPassengerLiner/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Wow... such a deal!!!!  Makes me want to run right out and... NOT GO!

Good promotion 10% off every seat.
Only June this month นะ

Economy Class from 1,250 baht to 1,125 baht per seat
Children 2-12 years old 950 Baht to 855 Baht
Business Class from 1,550 baht to 1,395 baht per seat.
Children 2-12 years 1,250 baht to 1,125 baht
VIP Room (for 8 persons) Baht 14,000 per room, reduced to Baht 12,600 per room

I keep wondering, why are the ticket prices for this ferry service, on a per seat basis, higher than the typical domestic airline ticket for travel inside Thailand on carriers like Air Asia or Nok Air???

Agree. 

If the price were cut down to ... about 500 Baht adult and children at 100 Baht they could attract families. 

Also smart restaurants or attractions could offer free drink or s thing with ferry ticket. 

There are many ways to tie this in to drive sales. There are more obstacles unfortunately. 

In a country where there is soooo much water and ferry boats of various types are made world wide it should be easier to get a safe vessel to go somewhere. Anywhere. 

1250 baht is not cheaper than driving the car one way. And many Thais are more afraid of water than the road, prefer not to spend more money to sit on hot boat for hours, and wonder how to get around once arriving in HH. 

Solve most of these issues and the biz can work I believe. Next we need a boat from BKK to HH and Pataya. 

In NYC we commute a similar distance by ferry daily from to the NJ shoreline. Profitable biz. Nice to leave work in evening enjoy hour plus ride down to the beach. This is where the money maker is. Loads of farang would take this biat w family rather than drive.  

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wow... such a deal!!!!  Makes me want to run right out and... NOT GO!

I keep wondering, why are the ticket prices for this ferry service, on a per seat basis, higher than the typical domestic airline ticket for travel inside Thailand on carriers like Air Asia or Nok Air???

That's 5k for a couple.  You still have to drive to the pier, board the boat, get off in HH, and deal with the taxi mafia there to get to your hotel if it's not within walking distance.  For that price, and less hassle, I'll drive. LOL

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Good point.  It's actually pretty much a necessity! LOL Scooters on those roads after a rain are really dangerous.

interesting. Just wonder what does that have to do with the HuaHin ferry ?   -_-

If they want Thais to take the ferry and not only foreigners they need to reduce the fare down to 500, simple as that. Or else this ferry service will dissappear within a year.