what has happened to the Hua Hin ferry?

Asiantravel

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

interesting. Just wonder what does that have to do with the HuaHin ferry ?   -_-

The proposed Sattahip to KC ferry and the fact you won't have a car there.  Brought up by several other posters before me.

19 minutes ago, DavoTheGun said:

If you apply Thai Logic, which is an oxymoron, if you have no people using or renting etc, you increase the price, see!

Some people just don't care about price...

Even if they charged 2,500 or even 5,000 baht one way

I guarantee there would still be some people riding this ferry...

Sure the ferry would be bankrupt in short order but

that's another subject....

Edited by fforest1

14 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Hotel check out time is 12.00Noon, makes a lot of sense.

Unless your checking out at 12 noon in Hua Hin....lol

From Pattaya with a 12 noon check out you would have a 2 hour wait for the ferry...

From Hua Hin with a 12 noon check out you would have a 4.5 hour wait for the ferry...

Edited by fforest1

18 hours ago, fforest1 said:

They changed the sailing times from Pattaya to Hua Hin..

Departure time was at 10AM,now its 2PM.....

There have been many reports of very low ridership...

So I think they keep changing times to see when the most passengers want to go..

If they cut the expensive 1250 baht one way price in half I think they would have a lot more customers and make more money......

Well you know the way things work here, if you are losing money you up the price to try and make up for it

So I think they keep changing times to see when the most passengers want to go..

If they cut the expensive 1250 baht one way price in half I think they would have a lot more customers and make more money......

I was told that they average around 60 passengers per trip?  The vessel holds over 250! ??

17 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

thanks for solving the mystery:smile:

2 PM doesn't sound to me like a very practical time to make that journey?

Well, arriving in Hua Hin late afternoon, an evening out and more ... with the other morning return is not too bad. Only the price is a little steep for an ST get together.

3 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

well that's hardly a financially practical solution is it?:blink:

hire a car and then let it sit there for days until you want to come back?:giggle:

Better to use the VIP bus from Pattaya bus station only 24 seats on the bus cost 389 baht

No ! They will raise it ! Thai style smart way of thinking !

18 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

they now have ROYAL  1,2,3 and 4 and it was my understanding that they intended to use one of the two extra vessels between Sathahip and Koh Chang.

that would be great because there is no longer any other way of travelling from Pattaya to Koh Chang other than a death trap minivan:bah:

So you'd prefer a death trap ferry?

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

1250 baht is not cheaper than driving the car one way.   

Are you just considering the cost of petrol? There's a lot more to the cost of traveling in a car than just that. I don't drive a car here but I'll bet it's cheaper to go by boat if you factor all the costs of driving a car - depreciation, maintenance etc.

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Some people just don't care about price...

Even if they charged 2,500 or even 5,000 baht one way

I guarantee there would still be some people riding this ferry...

Sure the ferry would be bankrupt in short order but

that's another subject....

Most people travel with other family members or their partners. Few would travel alone. It's 5000 round trip for a couple. That's the price I would need to consider.

Count down the months to the bancrupcy. This Ferry is not competetiv even they half the Price. Pattaya- Hua Hin Trip is a nice to do, but not a must. Most Expats as Tourists, not at all chinese guests, are not able or as stupid to pay such a exorbitant amount.

10 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

well there is at least considerably less chance of being involved in a collision:unsure:

I wouldn't disagree with that point.

However, whenever I think of this service, I think back to a couple of things:

1. the recent, much commented on photo here of the skillful speedboat driver who rammed his boat right into the rear end and up and over another similar speedboat in front of him, and

2. the recent mishap with the Koh Phangan ferry that ran aground and required the evacuation of all its passengers.

Fortunately, AFAIK, in both cases, no one was injured. But really, it's only a matter of time.

I was looking at the Timetable a few weeks back, I was planning a few days Pattaya before Samui but the ferry times do not link up with the trains at HH. :sad:

Better going Swampy and fly down or catching a train in Bangers...

11 hours ago, petermik said:

Too simple to understand,cut prices and increase sales.............no that,s not in the thai mindset :whistling:

Of course, if the number of users stay low then keeping with normal procedure in Thailand there should be a price increase soon.

Top and bottom people from Pattaya don't want to go there because it's dead and people from Hua Hin don't want to come to Pattaya because of its reputation, different people visit both places. Did they do a survey of how busy the coaches were plus the cost of the Ferry.

10 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Did they do a survey of how busy the coaches were plus the cost of the Ferry.

I recall this must be the fourth similar service started , and even if it would be declared tits up today, it would be the one that survived the longest.

3 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Top and bottom people from Pattaya don't want to go there because it's dead and people from Hua Hin don't want to come to Pattaya because of its reputation, different people visit both places. Did they do a survey of how busy the coaches were plus the cost of the Ferry.

There was that Brit cartoonist who got beat up by the lady bar owner on Soi7 and his wife. Not sure they will be back to Pattaya anytime soon.

Out of curiosity I trudged through their appalling online booking process and discovered that children ride for free! You'd think they would advertise that a bit more clearly, you know to attract more customers to their failing business? 

Oops forgot where we are for a moment. Sorry.