Video: Every motorcyclist's worst nightmare - the dreaded car door opens....

webfact

10 hours ago, bazza73 said:

The driver opened his door and got out with plenty of time to spare. He had almost closed the door  when the motorcyclist hit him. The motorcyclist was going way too fast if he could kill the driver and almost tear the car door off its hinges in the same impact.

The motorcyclist was in frame for about 0.2 seconds over a distance of about 5 metres. That makes his speed approximately 90 km/hr. Possibly sophisticated analysis would make the speed even higher.

If you're going to tell me travelling at that speed so close to parked cars is responsible behavior, I'd suggest your head is where it shouldn't be.

So, are you telling me if he had looked it would not have happened? He did not look and was stood in the road, sad but standing in a road is considered by most people as dangerous. If you think different, go stand in the road and we can continue the conversation. Road are for vehicles.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sympathies are normally with the motorcyclist.

Not in this case though, he was simply too close to a parked car.  It's one of the first safety habits drilled into riders in western countries - parked cars aren't safe, they kill; doors open, they pull out, people, children and dogs jump out from behind them, balls appear.....................

I do think the video exaggerates the speed, it probably wasn't over 30kph, still doesn't excuse bad riding.

10 hours ago, chrissables said:

So, are you telling me if he had looked it would not have happened? He did not look and was stood in the road, sad but standing in a road is considered by most people as dangerous. If you think different, go stand in the road and we can continue the conversation. Road are for vehicles.

In Thailand you can be standing on the sidewalk and hit by a dumbass motorcyclist or the heir to red bull or some texting diva who slams a bus over the flyover protective barrier or.......... get it?

4 minutes ago, Rawnthai said:

In Thailand you can be standing on the sidewalk and hit by a dumbass motorcyclist or the heir to red bull or some texting diva who slams a bus over the flyover protective barrier or.......... get it?

Thanks for informing me. After all the mileage i have driven and ridden here, i am happy to learn from a righteous <deleted> like you, thanks.

21 hours ago, littlepe said:

Exactly, its called hazard awareness and is taught and tested in many countries.  Allow for the worse to happen cos it will one day.  Drive with sufficient room from parked cars so that even if they suddenly open a door - you will not hit it.  How many times do you see bike riders skimming alongside parked vehicles with implicit faith that they will not open a door - crazy and unnecessary.

Unfortunately, when the police swarm the streets catching bikes that aren't stuck to the gutter, they don't want to listen to this.

It's programming - cars stick right, bikes stick left. No reasoning... 

Tragic.
Motorcyclist going too fast and driver stopped too far in driving lane not leaving enough space for cars or cyclists.
Does anyone know the condition of the rider and the driver?
Did they survive.
RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, chrissables said:

No, I'm telling you to look at the video and observe what happened without your motorcycle blinkers on.

It's as plain as day there was plenty of room for the bike rider to be in the left or right lane with no other vehicles there.

If guys like you want to insist the scooter lane should be free of parked cars, why is it the faster riders get into the right hand lane and block cars?

I seem to remember having a similar discussion with you on the subject of helmets, and the bleeding obvious wasn't apparent to you then either.

Yes, roads are for vehicles. That doesn't give anyone the license to be an idiot.

Edited by bazza73
Insertion

On 28/06/2017 at 6:21 AM, colinneil said:

Clown on the motorbike 100%  at fault,.

Driving to close to parked cars, not paying attention, had the whole (empty) road to use.

I agree, but the car driver did seem to take his time and be unaware.

It has happened to me many times, so sure it must have happened to most on this forum, and that is that when I look in my right mirror there is nothing there..

Then 1 second later when i open the door a motorbike, who was riding close to the footpath, races past my car within inches.

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

No, I'm telling you to look at the video and observe what happened without your motorcycle blinkers on.

It's as plain as day there was plenty of room for the bike rider to be in the left or right lane with no other vehicles there.

If guys like you want to insist the scooter lane should be free of parked cars, why is it the faster riders get into the right hand lane and block cars?

I seem to remember having a similar discussion with you on the subject of helmets, and the bleeding obvious wasn't apparent to you then either.

Yes, roads are for vehicles. That doesn't give anyone the license to be an idiot.

The bike rider was in the correct lane, the left hand lane insisted on by Thai law. Had the car driver looked before getting out, and for sure as soon as he was out, he would have seen the bike and got out of the way.

I don't insist on anything, Thai law does.

The car driver open his door into the motorbikes lane, not the pavement. He was wrong to do so.

47 minutes ago, chrissables said:

The bike rider was in the correct lane, the left hand lane insisted on by Thai law. Had the car driver looked before getting out, and for sure as soon as he was out, he would have seen the bike and got out of the way.

I don't insist on anything, Thai law does.

The car driver open his door into the motorbikes lane, not the pavement. He was wrong to do so.

Look at the video. There is a road marking visible which indicates there were TWO lanes apart from the scooter lane available to the bike rider, which he chose not to use, at high speed. You're saying the motorbike rider is not at fault.

Your attitude to other road users explains why 80% of road fatalities in Thailand  are on two-wheeled vehicles.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I agree, but the car driver did seem to take his time and be unaware.

Or he took his time and WAS aware of the motorbike, who was obviously too close to the car.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Look at the video. There is a road marking visible which indicates there were TWO lanes apart from the scooter lane available to the bike rider, which he chose not to use, at high speed. You're saying the motorbike rider is not at fault.

Your attitude to other road users explains why 80% of road fatalities in Thailand  are on two-wheeled vehicles.

I am sorry if you lack the ability to comprehend, by Thai law motorbikes must keep in the nearside lane at all times unless turning right. I don't actually agree with this, but it's the law. 

In fact i have been  stopped by the police for not being in the correct lane. 

I would assume the Thai driver would know this, and look before standing in the road.

I agree the bike rider must take some of the blame, but had the car driver looked and not opened the door into the bike lane, nothing would have happened.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

80%? From my extensive experience of other road users here, especially cars, trucks, buses etc, they are the cause of most of the deaths.

Then the young lads speeding and racing, and the rest riding in dreamland.

26 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I am sorry if you lack the ability to comprehend, by Thai law motorbikes must keep in the nearside lane at all times unless turning right. I don't actually agree with this, but it's the law. 

I would assume the Thai driver would know this, and look before standing in the road.

I agree the bike rider must take some of the blame, but had the car driver looked and not opened the door into the bike lane, nothing would have happened.

Thats as daft as suggesting that if the bike hadn't been there nothing would have happened. 

The driver opened his car door approximately 6 seconds before the motorcycle hit him. 

There was plenty of time for the motorcyclist to avoid the car door. 

The motorcyclists hit a stationary object. 

The motorcyclist could easily remain on the inside (left) land and still avoid the door. 

The motorcyclist simply was not looking where he was going, it appears he was also speeding. 

The driver of the car was careless and placed himself in a dangerous position - but it was not his fault that the motorcyclist drove into him - The timing clearly indicates this - 6 Seconds - Thats a lot of time to continue towards an object and not notice it.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats as daft as suggesting that if the bike hadn't been there nothing would have happened. 

The driver opened his car door approximately 6 seconds before the motorcycle hit him. 

There was plenty of time for the motorcyclist to avoid the car door. 

The motorcyclists hit a stationary object. 

The motorcyclist could easily remain on the inside (left) land and still avoid the door. 

The motorcyclist simply was not looking where he was going, it appears he was also speeding. 

The driver of the car was careless and placed himself in a dangerous position - but it was not his fault that the motorcyclist drove into him - The timing clearly indicates this - 6 Seconds - Thats a lot of time to continue towards an object and not notice it.

I just checked the video, the driver cracked the door open a little, then waited for whatever reason. But one would hope to check the road was empty. The door was fully open 2 seconds before impact. 2 seconds to avoid an opening door, possible for sure but i will stick to my view, open a door into traffic and you are wrong.

42 minutes ago, chrissables said:

And I'm sorry you can't comprehend simple observation and logic. I forget who it was said rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

And I'm sorry you can't comprehend simple observation and logic. I forget who it was said rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Did you not understand my comment? I have been stopped for ignoring the rules of the road here.

But the Thai motorbike ride broke no rules, until or if proof of speeding or drunkenness is proven.

43 minutes ago, chrissables said:

80%? From my extensive experience of other road users here, especially cars, trucks, buses etc, they are the cause of most of the deaths.

Then the young lads speeding and racing, and the rest riding in dreamland.

Your experience doesn't fit with the following link: http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

Granted, some of the two-wheeled road deaths would have resulted from losing an argument with a bigger vehicle.

Just now, chrissables said:

Did you not understand my comment? I have been stopped for ignoring the rules of the road here.

But the Thai motorbike ride broke no rules, until or if proof of speeding or drunkenness is proven.

No I did not. People have been killed, and you're bleating about being stopped. Yeah right.

Many motos here I think feel invincible. Driving to work I encounter tens of riders who take their lives in their hands with crazy chances, who assume that car drivers are watching out for them. Always been like that and always will be.

I just checked the video, the driver cracked the door open a little, then waited for whatever reason. But one would hope to check the road was empty. The door was fully open 2 seconds before impact. 2 seconds to avoid an opening door, possible for sure but i will stick to my view, open a door into traffic and you are wrong.

Fair enough... Differing opinions, I just timed 5.5 seconds. The guy stood there for more than 2 full seconds.
At the speeds Usain Bold runs he had 50m to avoid the car. At twice that speed he had nearly 100m to avoud the car.

I still think the bike rider was simply not paying attention.
How many times do we read the news that a motorcyclist had ridden into the back of a parked truck? Road attention is not a strength here. Of course that is just conjecture, however, it does look as though there was sufficient time to avoid the open door & driver, the bike rider just didn't take any action at all.

13 hours ago, bazza73 said:

No I did not. People have been killed, and you're bleating about being stopped. Yeah right.

I am not bleating you stupid idiot, but replying to a message you sent and giving an example.

20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Or he took his time and WAS aware of the motorbike, who was obviously too close to the car.

I think not, most people would get out, close the door quickly and get onto the pavement ASAP aware or not.  Leaving your offside door open longer than necessary on a main road is a danger and closes 2 lanes.