Midweek rant: Road Rage – time for Thailand to face the truth

webfact

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Truth to be told, again, that road rage in Thailand is no different to other countries

around the world and in some cases not as bad,

Utter nonesense.. I spend my summer clocking up 10s of 1000s of kms on european roads, just did >20k miles in the last 2 months. Not a single road rage incident. Drivers let you in, give way, act civilly and politely for the vast majority. 

Here, a 1000km journey to bangkok and back you see a couple.. Some loon waving a gun at me because he failed to undertake and I didnt let him cut in.. 2 raging cars collided and caused a multi car pileup just next to me on my last trip downcountry.. Everyone 'me first' up the hard shoulder, every bottleneck is a shit fight of line jumping and desperate need to get just in front.. 

If you think its like this everywhere.. Your not getting out of the country enough. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

How about starting by employing some real non corrupt police, and make them do their job

i read that there are only 250,000 coppers in this country....not enough to enforce any laws surely !!

I have seen coppers NOT wearing helmets cop cars with NO rear number plate no doubt others on here have seen the same.....most I have seen on a motor bike has been 5 plus a dog !!!

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Truth to be told, again, that road rage in Thailand is no different to other countries

if you go out there driving with an attitude of Attila the Hun, expect troubles

to find you, you don't have to win every argument and fight, know when

to keep your cool and back out.....

Nonsense post Thais flash lights for 'get out my way'  Europe/USA for 'after you/thank you'

THAT sums up driving in Thailand

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

How about starting by employing some real non corrupt police, and make them do their job

How about you tell us WHO is going to employ some real non-corrupt police.

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Nonsense post Thais flash lights for 'get out my way'  Europe/USA for 'after you/thank you'

THAT sums up driving in Thailand

It's idiots that flash lights to say 'you go first' and other idiots that assume someone flashing their lights means 'you go first' that sums up stupid drivers all the world over.

Flashing lights means 'watch out, I'm coming - make sure you can see me!'. Nothing else. Any other use (in the U.K. definitely) is a case of driving without due care and attention.

Misleading signals are dangerous.

Im thinking a good start would be a regular 15 minute broadcast across all channel, showing a collage of the daily ( then weekly) best (worst) accidents, to ram home in vivid color, exactly what is happening out there

im not talking about in depth reporting on each events, just a five to ten second clip of the events, perhaps with wording at the bottom, explaining the result, vs cause

(eg... flash picture accompanied by wording at bottom.... "head on collision in where ever the fug... three dead.... two children, one mother"..... next picture etc etc)

I believe this would be of more value to society than the peace and order council broadcasts.

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

oh dear.  now there's a novel idea.    

but they will need work permits.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

if you go out there driving with an attitude of Attila the Hun, expect troubles

to find you, you don't have to win every argument and fight, know when

to keep your cool and back out.....

This is a Thai forum, about Thailand. So far no-one has written that Thailand is unique, and nor will they. So why your post?

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

We have to be mindful that these 'road ragers' are just children in adult's bodies. 

Let's not get carried away and presume they are mature, fully mentally developed adults that are capable of critical thinking. 

Yes, make sure you only use a trainer baseball bat.

5953497fda50e_onehandbat.jpg.24ede21a885a47c1ee6a971578c885b1.jpg

'Politicians, police, and particularly parents need to educate the young.' Far too many are themselves woefully under-educated in that department; hardly role models for others.

'They ... are beginning to accept dealing with problems in a confrontational way as the norm.' Then they bite off more than they bargained for, and get a thrashing.

4 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

When you have despots who take over a country by military means then that sets the example as to the way people should behave so perhaps that is why this nation is seeing violent behaviour being on the increase.

Until a well educated and forward thing  leader comes along again (judged by world standards not Thai standards),  not a puppet or a military appointment,  to show that non violent and democratic ways are the intelligent and civilised approach to everything from government to motor cycle taxi operations, and hence sets a good social example then nothing much will change here I'm afraid. It will just become more and more violent until social tensions reach breaking point.

Were you here when they kicked Thakisn's democracy can down the road and into touch?

5 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

When you have despots who take over a country by military means then that sets the example as to the way people should behave so perhaps that is why this nation is seeing violent behaviour being on the increase.

Until a well educated and forward thing  leader comes along again (judged by world standards not Thai standards),  not a puppet or a military appointment,  to show that non violent and democratic ways are the intelligent and civilised approach to everything from government to motor cycle taxi operations, and hence sets a good social example then nothing much will change here I'm afraid. It will just become more and more violent until social tensions reach breaking point.

The army used absolutely zero force to take over and stop the violence and anarchy that was on the streets at the time between two groups who saw everything in black and white, where one side was right and the other side was wrong and neither would back down and lose face. And that included the party leaders who were locked into a room by the general and told to sort out their differences. When they couldn't he took over the reins. No mob violence on the streets ever since.

8 hours ago, Queenslander said:

We as concerned non-citizens can all provide answers or reasons for this phenomena, but if the truth be known there is only one answer and 'Jag" provided it. Thailand needs a real police force that is there to 'protect and serve' rather than 'collect and desert' the people of Thailand.

If such actions were formerly and regularly punished (despite the financial status of the offender) with heavy fines or long gaol sentences, instead of backhanders to the police, then possibly Thailand could curtail such abominations. However, this will never happen as too many police officers and court officials are reliant upon their weekly ‘brown envelope’.

ALL of the anti-social, discriminatory and corruption problems associated with Thailand are down to one thing and one thing alone, the lack of a genuine (almost) corruption free police service. A police service where one can make a genuine complaint and have it thoroughly and properly investigated and, if necessary see action taken. A police service that is there to honestly serve the people of Thailand regardless of race, colour, creed, status or financial standing, and provide justice for all. 

Unfortunately, we will never see it in my life time…

Exactly correct - it is the single biggest factor by far for a lot of things wrong in Thailand.

There are enough laws, there are enough policies, the problem is enforcement.

And hopefully the 'policing' of game 3 will be better than it was in game 2 :smile: 

8 hours ago, trogers said:

Ohhh...just a normal consequent of a failed Justice system...

I agree and am not reading anymore a/b this "same ol/same ol. We who have been raised in other countries understand what will help Thailand, but Thailand doesn't want what we "have." So... the carnage continues.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Were you here when they kicked Thakisn's democracy can down the road and into touch?

Been here since 1989 but with a 3 year gap 2002 to 2005, so yes I was and all the other shenanigans before that. When Thaksin got elected by a sweeping majority it gave the disadvantaged in Thailand hope. Trouble is the pigs all rushed back to the trough by all means necessary.

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The army used absolutely zero force to take over and stop the violence and anarchy that was on the streets at the time between two groups who saw everything in black and white, where one side was right and the other side was wrong and neither would back down and lose face. And that included the party leaders who were locked into a room by the general and told to sort out their differences. When they couldn't he took over the reins. No mob violence on the streets ever since.

Well if you do not think that driving a tank on civilian streets,  hundreds of his goons carrying rifles with live ammunition is not a show of force then you are either desperately stupid, totally blind or  your brains are deposited tightly in your rectum.

7 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Well if you do not think that driving a tank on civilian streets,  hundreds of his goons carrying rifles with live ammunition is not a show of force then you are either desperately stupid, totally blind or  your brains are deposited tightly in your rectum.

And your brain is unable to understand they ENDED the violence that was taking place with roads in Bangkok blocked off and traffic diversions in place, people unable to register to stand in an election or for people to vote without intimidation. Total anarchy. Since those warning moves by the army there has been zero mob violence on the streets. Perhaps you preferred it the way it was before.

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And your brain is unable to understand they ENDED the violence that was taking place with roads in Bangkok blocked off and traffic diversions in place, people unable to register to stand in an election or for people to vote without intimidation. Total anarchy. Since those warning moves by the army there has been zero mob violence on the streets. Perhaps you preferred it the way it was before.

Are you really that blind and stupid or perhaps suffering from permanent memory loss  ? Thaksin was at the UN when the tanks and armed troops rolled into Bangkok in 2006 !!! there was no violence on the streets then.  Going back further I was her during black May 1992 remind me again what happened with the army ?

Anyway this post has detracted from the initial item regarding road rage so much now best stop making a fool of yourself further. So no more unfactual diatribes please and lets remain on subject.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

6 hours ago, ben2talk said:

It's idiots that flash lights to say 'you go first' and other idiots that assume someone flashing their lights means 'you go first' that sums up stupid drivers all the world over.

Flashing lights means 'watch out, I'm coming - make sure you can see me!'. Nothing else. Any other use (in the U.K. definitely) is a case of driving without due care and attention.

Misleading signals are dangerous.

Why you mad bro?

Although with the tone of your post I can see where you'd believe that flashing your high beams at someone is yet another way to establish dominance.  Pop a Valium, wash it down with a six pack and jai yin yin.

If one is coming up behind someone and wishes to pass, than flashing the highs will let them know your intention.  It's also good form to blip your 4 ways upon completing the pass.  If someone is sitting for a turn I'll flash them especially if I'll follow them down the same side road.  That's just courtesy as often it ties up traffic behind me and allows the other person to make their turn (as an aside I do this much more frequently for motorcycles than cars to the point that the wife has stopped saying "forget about the motorcycles" and has graduated to an exasperated sigh and evil look).  By flashing them it pulls their eyes to towards the grill of the car and the signal.

Perhaps it's just being upcountry.  We still move as far left as possible to allow the other lane to make passes on motorcycles and tak-taks.  The big grain/sugarcane trucks still will move all the way over and pop a signal when it is safe for you to pass.  People still stop and offer a ride or a push for motorcyclists who overestimate how much gas they have (and I've been on both sides of that!).

So I guess to wrap up, this stupid driver has been driving and riding motorcycles for the last 22 years covering 100's of thousands of km (I wouldn't be surprised if I was over 500K by now).  And the last accident I was involved in was 2 years ago when a stupid twit left out of a side road and almost was T-boned.  Laying on my horn and swerving just had the front of her motorbike taken off by my pannier.  Before that was 2003 when another dumb woman pulled out, of course on her phone, and I just caught the back of her car.  You then have to go way back to 1997 which was the only time I was at fault; pulled out to see around a sign and didn't get out of the way in time due to the ice that was there.  A car smashed into the front of my truck.  So I must be a really luck stupid driver if that's all that has happened!

6 hours ago, ben2talk said:

It certainly didn't used to be. Even in London, that bastion of you better know where you're going or else I'll drive over you,  the headlight flash was the customary 'after you' indication.

Seems that while I have been away, everyone in Blighty is flashing like a European... or a Thai.

Maybe it will all revert to normal after Brexit.