‘You’re my last passenger’: Tearful taxi driver scams Thais out of big tip with tragic life story

Jonathan Fairfield

No one forced them to get sucked in so far play to the guy. I like his business strategy. Customer already a customer so look for more ways to bleed them with a little story.

Reminds me of the taxi with every note of currency in the taxi displayed but no GBP or dollar.

Decent scams no one's getting hurt so if you don't want to listen get some headphones 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, ttrd said:

This doesn't prove anything else than you are a person that easily judge others prior to have any plausible evidence to do so and based on that fact you are hardly a real judge, but more like a scammer-judge...;) 

Listen mate, i live in the world of real life. believe what you want. you are more likely to get scammed than me. Own a couple pf bars in patts and then come back and speak to me. green is as green does.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Listen mate, i live in the world of real life. believe what you want. you are more likely to get scammed than me. Own a couple pf bars in patts and then come back and speak to me. green is as green does.

What has this particular taxi ride including some sad stories which ended in a significant tip to do with owning a few Pattaya bars?

To drag a link based on some bad experiences in different situations involving different persons and then make a quick conclusion is not a proper neither a correct way to search the truth.

I do not say the taxi driver didn't lie, but I cant say he did and neither can you based on the present evidence...

The passengers listen to the story, they decided in free will to hand over the amount of money they believed he needed based on the amount mentioned in his story without asking but just telling - do you see the little, but significant difference? I guess you do if you take your time...;)

4 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

My Thai GF constantly reminds me that I am too "jai dee" for my own good. Perhaps better to be that way than completely uncompassionate.

That's just her way of saying that she wants you to spend your money within her family and not help outsiders, I'm sure she's not telling you to put your wallet away when you are paying something for her clan.

7 hours ago, fishbrando said:

Every scam makes the world a little bit colder.

If so, what about the global warming issue we are facing today...??...does it mean that the number of scams are actually decreasing world wide...??...;)

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

As we read this a kind hearted taxi driver story's being dusted off in readiness for publication. 

Yep just wait for it... 500,000 baht returned to a farang at the airport by a king hearted taxi driver who has a sick buffalo !

3 minutes ago, bill59 said:

Never use the taxis in Thailand. They are all scammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

....and YOU just scammed this thread with YOUR post...

12 hours ago, shady86 said:

It's sad that being kind hearted doesn't bring good thing anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shady86 if you believe in karma your kind deed will be rewarded albeit in some other way or form..

3 hours ago, bill59 said:

Never use the taxis in Thailand. They are all scammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've taken hundreds of taxis here and experienced very, very few crooked taxi drivers. 

The vast majority of them are decent folk trying to earn an honest living. It's the few bad apples that spoilt it for everybody else. You can't paint them all with the same brush. It's simple not right. 

12 hours ago, ttrd said:

It wasn't the story it self who caused this significant tip situation to happen - it was mainly the tears...

The story just helped to create a certain size of the tip...

What has made this story to come to the light is the tippers own fair of being scammed in exchange of a short lasting noble feeling...

Whether the cab driver sad stories are true or not is another story and is yet to be proven, but until that happen no one has been scammed even they suspect so...;)

So maybe the driver is in the wrong profession, he should approach the soaps for an acting job.

59 minutes ago, djayz said:

I've taken hundreds of taxis here and experienced very, very few crooked taxi drivers. 

The vast majority of them are decent folk trying to earn an honest living. It's the few bad apples that spoilt it for everybody else. You can't paint them all with the same brush. It's simple not right. 

You are correct, there's many honest and sincere drivers.  Over decades I've conversed with several drivers who spoke excellent English, I recall one guy, drove me from Bkk to a meeting in Rayong and back,  who said he was an oil engineering troubleshooting supervisor for years. I have a background in oil and he certainly with credibility and logic. He mentioned he had retired but wanted a part time activity to avoid boredom so he bought a taxi.

He mentioned the rogue drivers and shared that it annoyed the hell out of him and many of his fellow drivers.

His bottom line - 'what can we do'?

He mentioned that the authorities do very little and their laws and policies have no effect, the fleet owners couldn't care less and no honest drivers would dare attempt to set up a drivers self regulating body or similar, way too dangerous. He also mentioned that many rogue drivers have connections to nasty influential politicians and others. 

IMHO the ball is squarely in the court of the DLT and the police. The second group (at least) are way too corrupt to have any desire or intent to fix the problem. 

Edited by scorecard

shady86 if you believe in karma your kind deed will be rewarded albeit in some other way or form..

Yes, kind deed will be rewarded but its even more rewarding if the receiver needed it genuinely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Wireless headphones do the same job for me. 

The bonus being you don't have to pretend to be asleep. 

Extra bonus is that you can still keep an eye on the meter!

Similar thing happens in Bali with many staff/drivers/guides etc linking up with tourists and later contacting them about loss of job, family illness etc and the need for funds.

These people are just a small minority in all tourist destinations but spoil it for others.

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think they are gonna go big this time as well !!
Something along the lines of " The Queen of Tonga left her diamond encrusted tiara in a Bangkok taxi, the kind hearted driver used his own hard earned money to return it in person......... to Tonga !!! "

It's coming, mark my words!!

Oh yea, a big one is needed. 

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

You are correct, there's many honest and sincere drivers.  Over decades I've conversed with several drivers who spoke excellent English, I recall one guy, drove me from Bkk to a meeting in Rayong and back,  who said he was an oil engineering troubleshooting supervisor for years. I have a background in oil and he certainly with credibility and logic. He mentioned he had retired but wanted a part time activity to avoid boredom so he bought a taxi.

He mentioned the rogue drivers and shared that it annoyed the hell out of him and many of his fellow drivers.

His bottom line - 'what can we do'?

He mentioned that the authorities do very little and their laws and policies have no effect, the fleet owners couldn't care less and no honest drivers would dare attempt to set up a drivers self regulating body or similar, way too dangerous. He also mentioned that many rogue drivers have connections to nasty influential politicians and others. 

IMHO the ball is squarely in the court of the DLT and the police. The second group (at least) are way too corrupt to have any desire or intent to fix the problem. 

Good to know I'm not the only fortunate traveller here... ?

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Good to know I'm not the only fortunate traveller here... ?

You mean in TV right? because in the real world there are millions of very happy taxi users only occasionally getting refused by one bad apple before moving on to a good apple.

2001 to 2017 I remember two taxis I would say were too bad, a few rather old knackers that smelled a little bad in the early days before I gained patience to wait for newer cars to come along instead of feeling sorry for the others.

One of the two bad ones had his licence and taxi taken away after I brought in the police.