Savannakhet visa run report - dos and donts

Monday seems to be very busy at the Savanakhet Consulate. I was there the week before OP and found it crowded. Our trip via Nom Air fly ride was much nicer it seems. Got off the plane and walked to the exit where the Ploy Palace van driver met us and checked the list yo be sure we were booked. Got on van and 1:30 hour trip to the Ploy Palace in Mukdahan. The driver offered to go to the border but we went to the hotel. I suggest booking Not Air Fly-Ride rather than just a flight (limited flights that offer this.) Ignore tuktuk at the Savanakhet bus station as several hotels are within walking distance (Avalon Residence, etc.) OP gave a good report, especially the return trip. 

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Do's and don'ts

Nakon Phanom going to Mukdahan:

Yes, I got ripped off for the 400b minivan to the Mukdahan bus station. Lesson learned. Not many choices though and had to do it.

As in the report, get off at the bridge. 

If you book the Nok Air shuttle van, it drops you off at the bridge too, and continues the old and run down Ploy Hotel. AVOID IT!

Thai immigration drama leaving Thailand:

Old general walks the line and asks to see everyone's passport. Looks at mine, sees a Non B not yet canceled.

Asks me <deleted>. Follow me to upstairs. Upstairs is next door, no upstairs. He walks me up to a Thai immigration lady. Many bars on her shoulder, high ranking lady, very good English.

While she is talking to me, the old general is taking videos and photos of every part of my being. 

Problem: I did not cancel the Non B at the local office. She requested I go back to Phuket. I told her that I have no job, I did not want to stay illegally in Thailand that is why I am leaving now, to go back and look for a job to feed wife and son. She softens up a bit. I DID NOT GET ANGRY NOR PANIC.

She explained that the visa must be canceled. She showed me the cancellations of other Non Bs in my passport (job changes) and wanted that cancellation.

I express my regret and complete and utter sorrow. She asked if the school can fax her something. I reminded her it was a Sunday. Oh, ka, she said. She looked at every page.

She commented on all my yearly visa extensions going back 9 years. The thespian in me came out! Oh, I never want to leave my beautiful Thailand. I love it, I love the food and I must take care of my wife. This trip is very expensive for me as I do not have a job. Ka she said. Ok, I give you exit ka. Gave me the exit stamp and left. I tried desperately to find a toy Oscar  statuette  in Savannakhet but could not find one.

Laos Immigration:

Get off the bus. Do not follow the locals to the windows in front of you. Get off the bus and go the first window to the far left. This window faces the other windows. It is for the farangs. 

DO NOT GO BACK to the area you got off the bus, like I did. Go past immigration, show the visa to the little general at the table and get on the bus. It is waiting for you there. I did not see any tuk tuks.

Savannakhet bus station:

I got off the bus and pretended to look confused. Sure enough, the tuk tuks swarmed all around me. Avalon hotel I said. Ok, 200b. I pointed to the hotel and said 200B? They all walked away!

Avalon / Aura hotel:

New building with lifts. I was of course, placed on the annex building. An old but restored French colonial house. Lovely, but I requested a room with a lift to it or no stairs as I have a bad leg. Sigh. Breakfast is supposed to be included, though I sat like an idiot and waited and nothing happened.

There are two restaurants there. Both very high priced. They take baht at a bad rate. I will avoid this place next time. It might be ok for some people here. Rooms are clean.

Thai consul to the bridge:

Easier to take a tuk tuk for 50b. Wait for the bus there. If you pick up the passport at 2ish, you have time to go to the bridge and catch the bus there or wait a few minutes.

Thai bridge:

Forget the bus. Walk (see pic) to the tuk tuks. Go to the bus station directly (or Ploy if you are on the Nok Air Shuttle to wherever).

Tuk tuk with two people 150b. Got there fine, minivan to Nakon Panom 100b and off I went.

Why: 

My flight was at 11 something the next morning. I did not want to sleep in Mukdahan knowing it is a 2 hour ride back to NP. I booked the S&G hometel on booking.com and reserved the room. The owner picked me up at the bus stop. Speaks very good English. New hotel (no, I do not have any vested interest)

Breakfast at 8 as requested, left at 9 and all ok. Highly recommend the hotel. She can help you with everything.

Laos food:

I did not eat any street food. One thing that was interested is the French bread in the morning. EVERYWHERE! Remnants of French colonialism. Good taste. They put meats and onions and other things in them. I just ate it as is, for obvious reasons. No real places to eat. There is a high so cafe shop (owner comes by at the consul to give out pamphlets). Never went, feedback was it is overpriced. You decide.

Funniest thing seen in Thailand:

Don Muang. An elderly monk slapping the arm of this man who had a cane, like 10 times, sold him a cd and got a 100b in return. Blew my mind. I was in tears.

Thanks for reading!

thaiimmigration.jpg

P_20170628_150315.jpg

P_20170628_150327.jpg

P_20170627_075714.jpg

P_20170627_075719.jpg

Do you know if they do non - O based on you have a Thai son at this consulate or is it only non -o for marriage?

thanks 

2 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

A Swedish father tried to get one and he was refused.

He must of been short on the documents needed or they would've offered him a single entry non-o visa. Probably the same for the tourist visa.

Since he is Swedish he would of gotten a 30 day visa exempt entry not a 15 day VOA.

Good report. But I'm curious why you tell people to avoid the Ploy Palace hotel? I have stayed there twice and though it could definitively use a renovation IMO it's still good value for money, and I have not found anything in Mukdahan which can beat it on location and amenities.

It's even got a swimming pool. If there are better alternatives (with roughly the same standard - I don't do hostels) then please let me know.

I have a type O Visa based on marriage, and I do not have to leave the country to extend it for another year. I am completely confused why you are going to all the trouble of leaving the country to extend this visa when you do not have to. Simply go to local immigration office with all your documents, and it is bt400k not bt200k, and get your extension for bt1900. You apply with all your documents,  then pick the extension up in 30 days at the same office. Been doing this for years. 

38 minutes ago, koolbreez said:

I have a type O Visa based on marriage, and I do not have to leave the country to extend it for another year. I am completely confused why you are going to all the trouble of leaving the country to extend this visa when you do not have to. Simply go to local immigration office with all your documents, and it is bt400k not bt200k, and get your extension for bt1900. You apply with all your documents,  then pick the extension up in 30 days at the same office. Been doing this for years.

You are the one who is confused sunshine. You cannot renew this type of visa in Thailand. And by the way getting the visa you are referring to isn't that 'simple'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, koolbreez said:

I don't have the 400k or 800k.

• Like 1

Nice report. Thanks

I never get to consulate before 0945/1000.

Or before 1400 the next day.

I tend (although its slightly more expensive to) get a laos visa before i go.

I always go on a wednesday very quite.

Hotels well thats personel prefrence.

I take the motor over so dont have to bothervwith tuk tuks ext. (Usualy give 2 or 3 people a lift back to border. Then down to Mukdahan B/S. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Becker said:

Good report. But I'm curious why you tell people to avoid the Ploy Palace hotel? I have stayed there twice and though it could definitively use a renovation IMO it's still good value for money, and I have not found anything in Mukdahan which can beat it on location and amenities.

It's even got a swimming pool. If there are better alternatives (with roughly the same standard - I don't do hostels) then please let me know.

I prefer the Riverfront Hotel. Although no swimming pool. 

2 hours ago, Becker said:

Then why don't you (clearly an expert!) point them out for the benefit of the "newbies"?

Okay here goes 

1.Did not't have enough money in the bank for a start (can't you read)

2.Paid to much for the Tuk Tuk (taxis)

3.Paid to much for the hotel (where you stay overnight )

4 I could go on but you are boring me (?????)

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, koolbreez said:

I have a type O Visa based on marriage, and I do not have to leave the country to extend it for another year.

If as you say you have an extension of stay from immigration, which not a visa,  there is no need to leave the country because extensions of stay unlike visas can be renewed at your local immigration office.

2 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Okay here goes 

1. So not having enough money is a newbie mistake??? That means everyone who doesn't have 400 k in the bank is a newbie, right?:wacko: 

2. Oh the horror!!! Thank you for clearing that up. And you even pointed out that a Tuk-tuk is a taxi:cheesy:

3. Compared to what? Compared to a person who sleeps rough and doesn't pay a Baht, or compared to a millionaire who pays 10000 $ per night? That deserves a;:crazy:

4. Noooooo, please go on! You, Sir, are very entertaining. You probably don't mean to, but you are. BTW, what do the five question marks in parenthesis mean. Is that like your personal "covfefe"?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul18620 said:

Okay here goes 

Regarding number 1. Where did I say that? I came completely prepared. Yes, borrowed the 200k. Never showed it, I never asked. I waited for the guy to do his inspection. I went prepared for either scenario.

But thanks for 2-4. Irrelevant, all 5. I stayed where I thought I would be safe, not where there ceilings are like the Palace of Marseille nor looking for a price competition.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

First trip and  thanks to thaivisa and its members, I was very well prepared for the trip.

Research research research before you go anywhere. And thanks for your feedback.

On a side note: with regards to research. There was a Pakistani English teacher coming for his non B. A few days before he was denied entry into Laos as his country is one of so many that do not qualify for visa on arrival.

So he goes to the Laos consulate, gets the visa.

Then arrives at the consulate. Asked if he needed photos. Yes, we all say. He goes across the street to get them. Comes back. Comments on how much 2000b is in the local currency. Takes it out and holds it. I tell him that the consulate only takes Thai baht. Oh really? the guy says. Off he goes to exchange 1000 there 1000 here and comes back.

Non B denied! He has to apply for it in his own country.

RESEARCH PEOPLE! :passifier:

Seen so many over the years. No preperation then its all someone elses fault. Although i have done this run manybtimes every time it comes round i do some research for new documents required ect. Then i email the consulate to tripple check. (They are very good on email usualy answer within the day).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

First trip and  thanks to thaivisa and its members, I was very well prepared for the trip.

Research research research before you go anywhere. And thanks for your feedback.

On a side note: with regards to research. There was a Pakistani English teacher coming for his non B. A few days before he was denied entry into Laos as his country is one of so many that do not qualify for visa on arrival.

So he goes to the Laos consulate, gets the visa.

Then arrives at the consulate. Asked if he needed photos. Yes, we all say. He goes across the street to get them. Comes back. Comments on how much 2000b is in the local currency. Takes it out and holds it. I tell him that the consulate only takes Thai baht. Oh really? the guy says. Off he goes to exchange 1000 there 1000 here and comes back.

Non B denied! He has to apply for it in his own country.

RESEARCH PEOPLE! :passifier:

In the case of the Pakistani going for a Non B visa, he may reasonably have assumed that the school knew the rules, and was advising him correctly on what to do. Personally, I am paranoid on such matters, and never trust a single source, but I must admit to being a little sympathetic respecting his experience.