Savannakhet visa run report - dos and donts

On 1/8/2019 at 10:41 PM, mal2018 said:

I just returned from Savannakhet via Lao Airlines. So much nicer than any trip by bus or taxi and much faster. Why on earth people still travel by bus from Bangkok and winge about prices baffles me. If you have to worry about being “ripped off” for a few dollars, I feel sorry for you and perhaps you should consider living in a different country.

74544654-CAD5-4A5B-8872-DC8F0993E916.jpeg

Bad day, buddy?

On 1/8/2019 at 10:41 PM, mal2018 said:

I just returned from Savannakhet via Lao Airlines. So much nicer than any trip by bus or taxi and much faster. Why on earth people still travel by bus from Bangkok and winge about prices baffles me.

Off to Cambodia on the bus for a VISA run next week, CM to Bangkok 10hrs overnight bus, Bangkok to Siam Reap 10hrs on the day bus. 1,500bht Vs 4,000bht each way.

DId Savannahket last year, CM to Khon Khen by air 900bht, Khon Khen to Mukdahan by van 300bht, overnight bus back to Chiang Mai 750bht, not much difference in cost but the times work out better on the return by bus.

I quite enjoy the bus trips, and it leaves me more money to spend on beer.

Edited by BritManToo

The Avalon residence is pretty good for the price, but I couldn't really enjoy it as I was suffering from the worst hangover of all time, due mostly to the fact that Beer Lao is half the price in Savannakhet compared to Thailand.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mal2018 said:

That’s fine for people who still have a “backpacker mentality” but not for me, my time is more important.

Well, some who value their time would prefer to spend one night in Savannakhet rather than three nights. It depends on your perspective. The fly/ride service to Bangkok ends up getting you to Bangkok about six hours after leaving the consulate. Flying through Pakse (or Vientiane) to Bangkok requires waiting around in Savannakhet for about 22 hours before even boarding the aircraft to fly to Bangkok. However, if you like Savannakhet, I can see why you would not regard waiting around there as a waste of your valuable time.

I have flown to and from Savannakhet. I would consider doing so again if it was possible without an extra two nights in Savannakhet. I have long legs which makes those ATR-72 aircraft a little uncomfortable, but bearable for short journeys. On the plus side, checking in at Savannakhet airport is a breeze compared to larger airports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I've read you can buy sims at a lot of shops easily enough and I tend to stay connected with voip apps.

Depending on the Thai SIM card you have, buying a data roaming package for it might be a good alternative to shopping for a Lao SIM card. As an AIS 12call customer, I've used a package for 99 baht that gave me 2 GB of data usage in Laos with 7 days validity. Speed and network coverage were decent in both Vientiane and Savannakhet.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Well, some who value their time would prefer to spend one night in Savannakhet rather than three nights. It depends on your perspective. The fly/ride service to Bangkok ends up getting you to Bangkok about six hours after leaving the consulate. Flying through Pakse (or Vientiane) to Bangkok requires waiting around in Savannakhet for about 22 hours before even boarding the aircraft to fly to Bangkok. However, if you like Savannakhet, I can see why you would not regard waiting around there as a waste of your valuable time.

I have flown to and from Savannakhet. I would consider doing so again if it was possible without an extra two nights in Savannakhet. I have long legs which makes those ATR-72 aircraft a little uncomfortable, but bearable for short journeys. On the plus side, checking in at Savannakhet airport is a breeze compared to larger airports.

I would rather stay an extra night in Savannakhet than one in Bangkok or even Mukdahan. I’ve done both and as I live in Phuket, waiting around somewhere is inevitable.

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

May I ask how good, or bad, the internet access (data, speed) was at these locations?  I've read you can buy sims at a lot of shops easily enough and I tend to stay connected with voip apps.

Sorry I have no idea as I used the hotel wi-fi and/or a Thai SIM card. Both work fine and I had no need for anything else.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Off to Cambodia on the bus for a VISA run next week, CM to Bangkok 10hrs overnight bus, Bangkok to Siam Reap 10hrs on the day bus. 1,500bht Vs 4,000bht each way.

DId Savannahket last year, CM to Khon Khen by air 900bht, Khon Khen to Mukdahan by van 300bht, overnight bus back to Chiang Mai 750bht, not much difference in cost but the times work out better on the return by bus.

I quite enjoy the bus trips, and it leaves me more money to spend on beer.

I’m sorry to hear that you are so poor.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mal2018 said:

I would rather stay an extra night in Savannakhet than one in Bangkok or even Mukdahan. I’ve done both and as I live in Phuket, waiting around somewhere is inevitable.

You could opt to use Fly/Ride Mukdahan-Don Muang-Phuket without spending a night in either Mukdahan or Bangkok. If you wanted to be in Phuket before midnight, connections are a bit tight (either in Mukdahan or Don Muang) but there is a late flight from Don Muang on Thai Lion that allows adequate time for transfers.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

You could opt to use Fly/Ride Mukdahan-Don Muang-Phuket without spending a night in either Mukdahan or Bangkok. If you wanted to be in Phuket before midnight, connections are a bit tight (either in Mukdahan or Don Muang) but there is a late flight from Don Muang on Thai Lion that allows adequate time for transfers.

I’ve done that in the past but flying to and from Savannakhet is so much better. No hassle or queues going through the border and was back in Phuket around 5pm even though my flight was delayed due to the Pabuk storm. Also no need for a long wait at Savannakhet airport I turned up at 8am after breakfast for 8:30am flight, no problem.

• 3 months later...

I have a single entry non b issued from Penang which expires on May 7th, I will travel to London in June to obtain a 1 year multiple non b which is what I normally do, Will Savannakhet issue me with another non b single entry or am I likely to run into issues, I know they don't issue non B multiples anymore but Penang informed me that I needed to go to Phuket to obtain an extension to stay but I'd rather go down the route of getting another single then getting my multiple in London in June, anyone have any info on this?

Edited by badgerbailey

10 minutes ago, badgerbailey said:

I have a single entry non b issued from Penang which expires on May 7th, I will travel to London in June to obtain a 1 year multiple non b which is what I normally do, Will Savannakhet issue me with another non b single entry or am I likely to run into issues, I know they don't issue non B multiples anymore but Penang informed me that I needed to go to Phuket to obtain an extension to stay but I'd rather go down the route of getting another single then getting my multiple in London in June, anyone have any info on this?

They will issue another single entry non-b visa if you have a work permit.

Thanks, yes, have the wp just didn't want to arrive and they tell me that i've already had one single and should have converted in Phuket to an extension of stay, like I say I prefer the multi entry non b from London but won't be back until June. Thanks for your input i'll get everything booked.

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 3:53 AM, badgerbailey said:

I think London has stopped issuing multiples Sav still OK

1 hour ago, mal2018 said:

I think London has stopped issuing multiples

The will issue multiple entry non-b visa if the supporting documents are correct. Not sure about one for working though.

1 hour ago, mal2018 said:

Sav still OK

Not for a multiple entry non-b visa.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The will issue multiple entry non-b visa if the supporting documents are correct. Not sure about one for working though.

Not for a multiple entry non-b visa.

OK sorry I only got O visa multi. 

• 7 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 2:27 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

No requirement to show or have money for non-o married VISA in Laos.

Or children.

They just want original marriage cert (+copy), copy of her documents, your passport (+copy) and 5,000bht.

I've got a question... when I went to the council office to get official copies of the marriage certificate, they gave us a copy with our signatures and an official stamp, that looks more like this:

(Kor Ror 2: Marriage Registration)

kr2.jpg

We don't keep the original colourful sheet in Thailand, it's far away, but I have scans on an email.

(Kor Ror 3: Marriage Certificate)

9e878f2dacaf26de08389846021819d2.jpg

My Mrs says they always want to see the originals of any copy of anything, but surely whatever the office we got married in is an official enough document to satisfy visa people?

I have kids original Thai birth certificates here, and was intending to use them for visa purposes.

Surely I don't have to get the pretty certificate couriered over?! There must be an official doc the can be got hold of in Thailand that a consulate will accept? Especially in Bangkok.

As my wife says, "they can be idiots, but they're not stupid, they won't accept a print out of a scan".

+ UPDATE +

OK, she just phoned the Thai consulate at Savannakhet, and the K.R.2 can be used no problem, as the Immigration office in Chaengwattana said.

Edited by codebunny

58 minutes ago, codebunny said:

I've got a question... when I went to the council office to get official copies of the marriage certificate, they gave us a copy with our signatures and an official stamp, that looks more like this:

(Kor Ror 2: Marriage Registration)

kr2.jpg

We don't keep the original colourful sheet in Thailand, it's far away, but I have scans on an email.

(Kor Ror 3: Marriage Certificate)

9e878f2dacaf26de08389846021819d2.jpg

My Mrs says they always want to see the originals of any copy of anything, but surely whatever the office we got married in is an official enough document to satisfy visa people?

I have kids original Thai birth certificates here, and was intending to use them for visa purposes.

Surely I don't have to get the pretty certificate couriered over?! There must be an official doc the can be got hold of in Thailand that a consulate will accept? Especially in Bangkok.

As my wife says, "they can be idiots, but they're not stupid, they won't accept a print out of a scan".

+ UPDATE +

OK, she just phoned the Thai consulate at Savannakhet, and the K.R.2 can be used no problem, as the Immigration office in Chaengwattana said.

Original Marriage Certificate required to get extension based on Thai Wife.

1 hour ago, codebunny said:

To be sure you will not have a problem you can go to a Amphoe and they will stamp copy of it and attach a up to date Kor Ror 2 to it.

2 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Original Marriage Certificate required to get extension based on Thai Wife.

Not according to the immigration staff I spoke to last week... the ones doing it in Sa Kaeo, and also the immigration inspector in Chaengwatthana.

I wasn't asking about visa extensions, I was asking about visa applications in Savannakhet, Laos.

We phoned the Thai consulate in Savannakhet up this morning, and they are happy with the K.R.2

We didn't ask them about using children for ME Non-Imm, but I will ask them.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To be sure you will not have a problem you can go to a Amphoe and they will stamp copy of it and attach a up to date Kor Ror 2 to it.

I don't think this is necessary, but it's useful to know that some people have had a problem.

I have used the very old K.R.2 every time I've got a non-imm visa in the UK, and never had a problem.

I have two stamped K.R.2s from the khet/amphoe office from this month/this year anyway.

Edited by codebunny