Savannakhet visa run report - dos and donts

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In the case of the Pakistani going for a Non B visa, he may reasonably have assumed that the school knew the rules, and was advising him correctly on what to do. Personally, I am paranoid on such matters, and never trust a single source, but I must admit to being a little sympathetic respecting his experience.

Agreed. 16 plus years living here. When a Thai admin tells me one thing, I check and triple check everything. Second nature.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In the case of the Pakistani going for a Non B visa, he may reasonably have assumed that the school knew the rules, and was advising him correctly on what to do. Personally, I am paranoid on such matters, and never trust a single source, but I must admit to being a little sympathetic respecting his experience.

Whilst i sort of agree to a point. Schools in genral have no idea about visas.WP yes. As an individual living in a foriegn country it is down to you to ensure you know, what is required for you to obtain a Visa relevent to your home country. A little research would have told him straight away.

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

There was a Pakistani English teacher coming for his non B.

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Non B denied! He has to apply for it in his own country.

After that I wonder what he did. No entry to Thailand for him without a valid visa.

Fly home to Pakistan? Beg the consulate for a transit visa after getting a ticket out of the country to show?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After that I wonder what he did. No entry to Thailand for him without a valid visa.

Fly home to Pakistan? Beg the consulate for a transit visa after getting a ticket out of the country to show?

Funnily enough i was thinking that myself. Proof if proof was needed always research your own requirements.

He mustbhave researched to a point as Pakistani nationals can not get a visa on arrival for Laos so he must have applied for it earlier.

Edited by jeab1980

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If all else fails, getting to Pakistan via China would be doable, I think.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The down side with your route is if you and your Mrs split you have seven days to leave the country, you sign a declaration to the fact. If you have a Multi-O you do not.

Plus with a Multi-O I do not have immigration climbing all over my house with visits, with the extension I did, a few times...:sad:

You may well be correct i thought if you split up even on an extension you could stay untill extension finishes. As i say you could well be correct

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You may well be correct i thought if you split up even on an extension you could stay untill extension finishes. As i say you could well be correct

The form I signed was in Thai but the officer told me in English what it said...7 days to leave...

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Technically if you get divorced the extension ends on the date of divorce but if the persons involved do not notify them you could stay.

Edit: With a divorce though you would have time to prepare for it since it does not happen fast. You would have time to change to another type of extension or go out for a visa. Perhaps a multiple entry non-o visa.

If the wife was to die the extension remains valid until it ends.

But could that be deemed as overstay if it were spotted...?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how you would be spotted. As I wrote immigration would not know about the divorce.

Was just thinking that if an ex wife with a "chip" informed immigration I would have thought hat after 7 days you were on overstay and they will take your cash...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Was just thinking that if an ex wife with a "chip" informed immigration I would have thought hat after 7 days you were on overstay and they will take your cash...

There is no 7 days. Technically the you would be on an overstay as soon as the divorce was finalized.

I covered the wife reporting it in my first post ("persons involved"). But not sure immigration would pay much attention to it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Becker said:

If the topic bores you then why do you follow it and actually post in it????

Seriously, some of the TVF posters urgently need to get out more.

Where did I say it bores me, sunshine?

Agree with your second point though, particuarly folk who spend so much time with these pointless repetitive 'reports' Look at my posting history, I'm hardly ever on here.

2 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Where did I say it bores me, sunshine?

Agree with your second point though, particuarly folk who spend so much time with these pointless repetitive 'reports' Look at my posting history, I'm hardly ever on here.

Thats nice

11 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

First trip and  thanks to thaivisa and its members, I was very well prepared for the trip.

Research research research before you go anywhere. And thanks for your feedback.

On a side note: with regards to research. There was a Pakistani English teacher coming for his non B. A few days before he was denied entry into Laos as his country is one of so many that do not qualify for visa on arrival.

So he goes to the Laos consulate, gets the visa.

Then arrives at the consulate. Asked if he needed photos. Yes, we all say. He goes across the street to get them. Comes back. Comments on how much 2000b is in the local currency. Takes it out and holds it. I tell him that the consulate only takes Thai baht. Oh really? the guy says. Off he goes to exchange 1000 there 1000 here and comes back.

Non B denied! He has to apply for it in his own country.

RESEARCH PEOPLE! :passifier:

Some people still live like Internet does not exist of if Internet was only Facebook ! They are so ridiculous that they deserve all the troubles in their life !

• 3 months later...

What the op says is all correct.

I would say i found the ploy place hotel pretty good. Well located and comfortable.

Avalon and Aura are both decent but Aura was around 200 baht more.

Only difference was Aura was newer and had a kettle otherwise same same.

I prefered Avalons food and better beer selection. Also 12000 for a small beer Lao as opposed to 15000 for a big one and Avalon had many imported beers.

Both a decent location for the bus station and embassy but not for restaurants but tuk tuks will take you to places like pilgrims cafe or lins for 40 or 50 baht.

Tuk tuk was 50 baht to the embassy.

On a side note a decent convienence store close to these hotels would make a killing. 

"Laos food:

I did not eat any street food. One thing that was interested is the French bread in the morning. EVERYWHERE! Remnants of French colonialism. Good taste. They put meats and onions and other things in them. I just ate it as is, for obvious reasons. No real places to eat. There is a high so cafe shop (owner comes by at the consul to give out pamphlets). Never went, feedback was it is overpriced. You decide."

The French bread they make is nasty IMHO.

You missed the food market near St. Theresa's church. Everyone eats around there in the evenings.

https://goo.gl/maps/hLAsL6gM1VR2

On 6/30/2017 at 8:44 AM, transam said:

The down side with your route is if you and your Mrs split you have seven days to leave the country, you sign a declaration to the fact. If you have a Multi-O you do not.

Plus with a Multi-O I do not have immigration climbing all over my house with visits, with the extension I did, a few times...:sad:

No need to show money either. 

On 6/30/2017 at 6:45 AM, Somtamnication said:

Regarding number 1. Where did I say that? I came completely prepared. Yes, borrowed the 200k. Never showed it, I never asked. I waited for the guy to do his inspection. I went prepared for either scenario.

No requirement to show or have money for non-o married VISA in Laos.

Or children.

They just want original marriage cert (+copy), copy of her documents, your passport (+copy) and 5,000bht.

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2017 at 11:22 AM, scottyp1980 said:

Do you know if they do non - O based on you have a Thai son at this consulate or is it only non -o for marriage?

On 6/29/2017 at 11:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

No they don't.

13 minutes ago, gittu said:

they do

But only a single entry non-o visa not a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I just returned from Savannakhet via Lao Airlines. So much nicer than any trip by bus or taxi and much faster. Why on earth people still travel by bus from Bangkok and winge about prices baffles me. If you have to worry about being “ripped off” for a few dollars, I feel sorry for you and perhaps you should consider living in a different country.

74544654-CAD5-4A5B-8872-DC8F0993E916.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 10:41 PM, mal2018 said:

I just returned from Savannakhet via Lao Airlines. So much nicer than any trip by bus or taxi and much faster. Why on earth people still travel by bus from Bangkok and winge about prices baffles me. If you have to worry about being “ripped off” for a few dollars, I feel sorry for you and perhaps you should consider living in a different country.

How much was the flight?
Was it direct Bangkok -> Savannakhet, or with a stop-over?

My experience, I got on a VIP bus in Bangkok (Sahaphan Tour has the most comfortable seats with adequate legroom), listened to something for a bit, fell asleep, and awakened just before arrival in Mukdahan - and nice and early, so plenty of time to apply that day for the visa.  I suppose I just don't count the time I would be asleep in a hotel, vs on a bus - especially since the timing works out so well for the Consulate's hours. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:41 PM, mal2018 said:

I have usually preferred to use the Fly-Ride service of Nok Air to return to Bangkok from Mukdahan. It is much cheaper but, more important, allows you to return a day earlier. The Savannakhet flights to Vientiane/Bangkok are limited, and leave at an inconvenient time of day. Of course, if you really like Savannakhet, and want to spend more time there, such considerations will not matter.

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

How much was the flight?
Was it direct Bangkok -> Savannakhet, or with a stop-over?

My experience, I got on a VIP bus in Bangkok (Sahaphan Tour has the most comfortable seats with adequate legroom), listened to something for a bit, fell asleep, and awakened just before arrival in Mukdahan - and nice and early, so plenty of time to apply that day for the visa.  I suppose I just don't count the time I would be asleep in a hotel, vs on a bus - especially since the timing works out so well for the Consulate's hours. 

The cost from BKK was around 5000 for flight on a ATR-72 with a 30 minute stop in Paske. One of the most easy visa trips that I have ever done and would never consider going by bus, it just takes too long. I stayed in Savannakhet 3 nights and flight times were just perfect. I left Phuket at 6am on Wednesday and back at 5pm on Saturday. Nothing to do in Sav but I had good food, friendly service and just had a relaxing time for 3 days. Savannakhet and the airport itself, is really quiet and none of the hassle or animosity that is present in busier places.

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have usually preferred to use the Fly-Ride service of Nok Air to return to Bangkok from Mukdahan. It is much cheaper but, more important, allows you to return a day earlier. The Savannakhet flights to Vientiane/Bangkok are limited, and leave at an inconvenient time of day. Of course, if you really like Savannakhet, and want to spend more time there, such considerations will not matter.

That’s fine for people who still have a “backpacker mentality” but not for me, my time is more important.