What is considered work?

Just now, possum1931 said:

Floyd? You mean Pink Floyd?? But it is music I play, not noise. Gawd, I hope Peltin Elton doesn't come looking for me the next time he plays in Thailand. I'll get the ass shagged off me.:shock1:

And you say you are a musician! 

Argh!

:post-4641-1156693976:

Appologies for silly question, let's assume a farang is doing alone some minor work in his own home mowing the lawn, minor carpentry, mionor maconery etc....would that also be considered as work by a corrupt official???,

As technically the farang doing such work himself, is depriving a Thai from doing that job?....sounds ridiciculous, but have seen worse interpretations of the law!!

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You are exerting physical effort (plucking a string) to an end result (making a sound), ergo, manual labour.

Same as a guy climbing a ladder with a hod (physical effort) to an end result (bricks at the top), manual labour.

I'll get my coat.

Would you call a computer engineers work manual labour? Your coat? It had better be a raincoat the weather we are having now.:post-4641-1156693976:

4 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

And you say you are a musician! 

Argh!

:post-4641-1156693976:

Well I have earned a good living out of it. It has mostly been American country music I play, I have never really heard Pink Floyd, but I know they are one of these heavy rock type bands who are very loud, country bands are not.

I have never really heard Pink Floyd, but I know they are one of these heavy rock type bands who are very loud, country bands are not.

More like good old rock and roll. Went to to a concert many years ago back in my younger days.

• Like 1

Well I have earned a good living out of it. It has mostly been American country music I play, I have never really heard Pink Floyd, but I know they are one of these heavy rock type bands who are very loud, country bands are not.

Just pulling your leg possum old friend, music, no matter what it is classed as, is the food of life. I prefer the post Dark side of the moon creations and have always been an avid devotee of what was classed as progressive with bands such a genesis, camel pink Floyd, crimson king, yes etc some of which is the type you instantly like or not. Personally not a great fan of C&W ( just love that quote in the blues brothers) or jazz and not into heavy  but I always approach any new band or music with an open mind. ( ok boy bands, these computer assisted sugar coated fifi's etc don't ring my bell either!)

would love love to watch and hear you one day so if you do come out of retirement and start on the circuit, let me know pls.

cheers

TDL

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Ridiculous right? living in a country where one has to be on a look out like

a criminal if he's doing something against the law like tending to his

place of living home and farm,

the best way to sums it all up is you can do almost anything around your

home, until someone who doesn't like you drop the dime on you that is and

call the immigration on you and this is when the fun begins...

that seems to be the sum of it

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

More like good old rock and roll. Went to to a concert many years ago back in my younger days.

Oh man I am Uber jealous!

never got to see them but saw genesis several times. What year did you see them?pre or post DSOTM?

It is the labor department that checks on work permits or work related situations. If one has a work permit- they do from time to time come to check the location.  If one does not have a work permit- and the work one is doing is not obvious- the chances are lower that anyone would care. However, if one gets into an argument with a neighbor and that neighbor is wise to the law- they can make a complaint and then the authorities visit. Normally, working on one's own home would not cause an issue- unless someone makes a formal complaint and then the  officials come and where it ends depends on several issues such as where the 'work' occurs; the status of the complainant; and what is being alleged.

In a rural area- working on one's own land (actually it belongs to the wife) would not draw any ire unless what is being grown encroaches on the business interests of a Thai or there was a disagreement between parties.

Digital nomads are pretty safe because no one can see them- however, if they make many calls per month or are using sophisticated technology to connect abroad- the authorities can become suspicious and investigate. I would eventually expect this to come under more and more scrutiny as Thailand becomes more sophisticated with technology and surveillance.

To me, the best advice is to get a work permit and work only in the location of the permit- if one keeps everything legal- there is never a worry. If one cannot get a work permit- they may want to reconsider what they are doing as the new law  is draconian.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Oh man I am Uber jealous!

never got to see them but saw genesis several times. What year did you see them?pre or post DSOTM?

I discovered 'Floyd sort of by accident when "Time" was used as the music for a caving programme called (IIRC) "Worlds Without Sun" of which I can find zero reference on the net. Drug induced memory? Perhaps.

• Like 2

I own a bunch of property and we grow all our own vegetables and fruit. Just signed over illegal land to be sorkapor by force because we DO have problems with all officials and even followed and surrounded by police as intimidation. Fact is though we dont sell anything. Its all for ourselves and free for friends and family. I do it all. Am i really doing anything illegal?. I cant grow a plant? Your shtn me? Im sorry but working in the sense of actually making money is work. Ill fight it and dob in every dam illegal activity here publicly if need be.

So now that i live on sorkapor land which means for agricultural purposes does that make me a farmer? Fact is i hate farming. I gew up in the city. My wife loves it and thats what its all for. I retired yound and live of rent from abroad and we both dont work apart from her doing the ocasional stuff for her old employer. Im not a well man so all this is really for my wife and children as something they can do when im gone. It would be dispicable to fram me as a worker. I dont need to nor want to but it certainly looks like it. Officials suck here in kanchanaburi. They are ALL corrupt. We are heads with everyone, legal things and such.. so do these pricks need to prove your making money or just do what they wish. Im looking after elderly, crippled and parentless people here. Is that concidered volenteer work. I didnt volenteer. Its just imoral not to help!

Immigration police need to go get a real job. And lastly i hate thailand. I dont want to be here but i have my own family. In my home country i have no one left. My wife does have family. Seems a bit unfair if i cant assist with growing some damn trees. Im doing more good for this country then anyone i know and i get nothing for it as it is. Screw them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Don't remember the exact year. It was in the late 70's.

Must have been post Dark Side and around the Animals period. 

Now i I am Uber Uber jealous as Animals is by far their best album imho

you lucky lucky man. 

:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I discovered 'Floyd sort of by accident when "Time" was used as the music for a caving programme called (IIRC) "Worlds Without Sun" of which I can find zero reference on the net. Drug induced memory? Perhaps.

...and never looked back since?

:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

With your TVF name I bet they cannot catch you, too fast man

I live 'bout 80 klicks from UT city and 80 klicks from NK city. House and farm together, no neighbors. Have a good Felang friend who is cosy with NK immigration, lives in NK. He reckons he's been shown photos of me driving my tractor on my land by said officials who all think it is hilarious...

• Like 1

Oh and i have almost completed building multiple houses at once because the first job thais did was destroy my foundations so i bought and excavator and have done everything. So... Am i screwed? I see people taking pics and such. Watching.... Is burning a list of laws considered work?. I could pay a thai to dress me in the morning. Is that work? I aint paying...! In almost every other country on the planet theres no laws like this. Idiots....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It is the labor department that checks on work permits or work related situations. If one has a work permit- they do from time to time come to check the location.  If one does not have a work permit- and the work one is doing is not obvious- the chances are lower that anyone would care. However, if one gets into an argument with a neighbor and that neighbor is wise to the law- they can make a complaint and then the authorities visit. Normally, working on one's own home would not cause an issue- unless someone makes a formal complaint and then the  officials come and where it ends depends on several issues such as where the 'work' occurs; the status of the complainant; and what is being alleged.

In a rural area- working on one's own land (actually it belongs to the wife) would not draw any ire unless what is being grown encroaches on the business interests of a Thai or there was a disagreement between parties.

Digital nomads are pretty safe because no one can see them- however, if they make many calls per month or are using sophisticated technology to connect abroad- the authorities can become suspicious and investigate. I would eventually expect this to come under more and more scrutiny as Thailand becomes more sophisticated with technology and surveillance.

To me, the best advice is to get a work permit and work only in the location of the permit- if one keeps everything legal- there is never a worry. If one cannot get a work permit- they may want to reconsider what they are doing as the new law  is draconian.

Man I feel your pain. You have a heart of gold, you have given up plenty to live where you don't really want to be and are hounded by corrupt officials.

the frustration levels must be intense but hang in there my friend, do not be cowed by these savages that are hounding you. What you are doing may we'll be in the grey area ( as most is) but you are an honourable chap and can hold your head up high no matter what.

wish I could help you, honestly!

19 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Just pulling your leg possum old friend, music, no matter what it is classed as, is the food of life. I prefer the post Dark side of the moon creations and have always been an avid devotee of what was classed as progressive with bands such a genesis, camel pink Floyd, crimson king, yes etc some of which is the type you instantly like or not. Personally not a great fan of C&W ( just love that quote in the blues brothers) or jazz and not into heavy  but I always approach any new band or music with an open mind. ( ok boy bands, these computer assisted sugar coated fifi's etc don't ring my bell either!)

would love love to watch and hear you one day so if you do come out of retirement and start on the circuit, let me know pls.

cheers

TDL

Thanks but the only time I will perform in public now is if I am at a club with some mates in Pattaya, like I have done in the recent past.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You mean like Bill Haley and the comets, a bit before my time.:guitar:

Thanks but the only time I will perform in public now is if I am at a club with some mates in Pattaya, like I have done in the recent past.

I was referring to playing music not " performing" as such ( or have I misunderstood you?) 

am down that part part of the world occasionally as we are getting close to getting out of khorat yaaaaaaawwwwwwn we will increase our visits. Wd be fantastic if we could match a date some time

Just now, The Dark Lord said:

I was referring to playing music not " performing" as such ( or have I misunderstood you?) 

am down that part part of the world occasionally as we are getting close to getting out of khorat yaaaaaaawwwwwwn we will increase our visits. Wd be fantastic if we could match a date some time

Will keep that in mind when I'm on my motorbike road trips, but the nearest I have been to korat is Khon Kaen.

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

By the time I was ready to cuddle and date, unfortunately the Pink Floyd gurus had split up!!...

But a few years back, went to see the Roger Waters solo concert...it was breathtaking:post-4641-1156694083:  expensive!!  but no regrets!!...those were real musicians and not a the actual, talented, musical computer geeks who hit the charts with a series of clicks on music composing software. Sorry for the off- topic break!

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

What it all boils down to is do what you want. You pays your money, you takes your chances.  Sod what any mr law abider thinks or says. Simple really.

If you grt caught then you do the time.

Hang on... Does driving my kids to school mean im in trouble. Im allowed to buy a car and bikes and get a license but i could pay a thai to kill my family for being a reckless driver of my kids to school.

These laws are a human rights abuse.

Foreigners should be given body size condoms at the airport to cover oneself entire body ready for a good fking by Draconian laws.

Isnt this all because thais cant do anything. They cant even put fuel in a car with out scratching up your car, leaning on it etc. Id rather do it myself. Forced to pay for bad service. Fkn idiots.. 

• Like 2

Just now, bsdthai said:

Hang on... Does driving my kids to school mean im in trouble. Im allowed to buy a car and bikes and get a license but i could pay a thai to kill my family for being a reckless driver of my kids to school.

These laws are a human rights abuse.

Foreigners should be given body size condoms at the airport to cover oneself entire body ready for a good fking by Draconian laws.

Isnt this all because thais cant do anything. They cant even put fuel in a car with out scratching up your car, leaning on it etc. Id rather do it myself. Forced to pay for bad service. Fkn idiots.. 

You could pay  thai to kill your kids! Get real stop beliving all the bullshit on hear.

12 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You could pay  thai to kill your kids! Get real stop beliving all the bullshit on hear.

Pull your head out of the clouds. Its an example. Extreme and sarchastic, yes. But an example of how stupid this is becoming. Im making a point. Deal with it.

• Like 1