What is considered work?

I dont need a work permit to be tax resident in Thailand.

1.Taxable Person
Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand. 

Edited by Sexbomb

6 minutes ago, Sexbomb said:

I dont need a work permit to be tax resident in Thailand.

1.Taxable Person
Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand. 

you are earning an income from rental on property without paying tax you are breaking the law , This is why now you have to provide documents to immigration when renting a property, new regulations

15 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

If they upset a local and he goes to the local immigration office

I doubt very much many many rural Thais would know where to report a farang for illegally working. And even if they did I doubt they'd travel 200 km, round trip, to do it. Also I doubt the average Thai would know the basic laws regarding working here. Apparently Thais are the only ones who can work in agriculture? I suggest someone comes around here and arrest all the Cambodians working in the cassava fields.

Edited by sinbin

Just now, gleeglee said:

you are earning an income from rental on property without paying tax you are breaking the law , This is why now you have to provide documents to immigration when renting a property, new regulations

What does me having to provide documents to immigration when I rent a property have to do anything with tax?

You mix and blend things from here and there that you dont seem to have a clue about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The point here Gamini is that you cannot get a work permit to do many things here (as has been well pointed out). The OP is not about what you can get a work permit for but rather the work that hundreds, if not thousands of ex-pats, are doing every day quite innocently.

And the irony is that this work greatly helps the less well off Thais and helps develop the country.

and a WP is defined and if you have one for teaching, for example, you cannot 'work' at anything else and the prohibition list is fixed. As has been said you might 'get away with it' but I, for one, don't take that chance and nor should you IMHO

8 minutes ago, Sexbomb said:

What does me having to provide documents to immigration when I rent a property have to do anything with tax?

You mix and blend things from here and there that you dont seem to have a clue about.

because if you earn an income more than 20,000 baht you are libel for tax so when its on a computer that you are renting 5 or 6 properties they will come knocking for the tax

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Thank you Robblok.

Nine years ago I built a road around my (wife's) farm. 320 metres long and well maintained. It is the best road around and is well used. About a month ago a police car drove down whilst myself and the wife's brother were fixing a couple of holes. We had dropped the rocks off and were in the process of smashing them up. The police car had to stop while I moved a couple of football sized stones out of his car's way. As he drove past he wound down the window and both smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Just where do I stand? Mixed messages! He could have nicked me?

Yes he could have nicked you the way they nick cars and motorbikes on lies and technicalities. He was probably a local cop, you know the ones who don't nick underage motorbike riders, or four on a bike going to school etc, etc.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Worried! Concerned! NOT in the slightist i do all those things the OP mentioned. Will carry on doing said things with no concerns whatsoever.

I will break any law I don't agree with if there is a very good chance of getting away with it, as long as it is not interfering with the ordinary person.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

And work for a call center based in Norway from home, is illegal?

If you are physically in Thailand, then technically, yes.

But the chances of getting caught are minimal to zero.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you are physically in Thailand, then technically, yes.

But the chances of getting caught are minimal to zero.

Then continuing with the blog on LOS Night Life and Adventures of working the  XXX mojo..

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

The one which says Thai musical instruments, does that mean playing with a band?

I read it as making Thai instruments, the rest of the same paragraph is concerned with making stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinbin said:

No he couldn't. Not his job, Work permits are not a police matter unless his boss tells him different. . Thai police don't think on their feet. They turn up for their shift and get told what to do for that day. They don't deviate. 

I sat drinking with a policeman in the village one day. He was still in uniform. A motor accident happened right in front of us. I asked 'aren't you going to call that in?' He replied 'no, nothing to do with me'.

What if someone is committing a murder, would the cop have said the same thing?

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

The answer is that "work" is anything an official says is "work". There is a consensus by the powers that be that certain groups should be left alone (e.g. digital nomads). That aside, mostly, common sense is applied (yes, really) on whether to go after someone for what could be defined as "work". In rural Thailand, if you are on good terms with everyone, and have no enemies, you can get away with almost anything. Avoid being in competition with someone in a way that they could perceive as hurting their business. That is what generally leads to trouble.

This is the fairest assessment of the situation here when it comes to work. Technically, all the things the OP mentioned probably could be considered "work" by some officer if they wanted to judge it so. However, the big question is, will there ever come a time and an officer who wants to judge it so?  Unfortunately, if that time and officer ever happens to come your way, you're pretty much screwed.

In another post here earlier today, one member mentioned that he'd been paying 500 baht to a local BIB to look the other way when it came to an un-permitted migrant house maid. But just lately, the 500b payee came to the poster to advise that his 500b wasn't going to buy protection anymore because there were bigger BIBs pushing enforcement. With the latest attempted crackdown by the government, who knows where all this is going to end up... Things seem pretty uncertain right now, and I'm assuming the officers feel that way as well.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for making them not playing them.

So that means I could join a Thai band, play with them, I could get a work permit? If that is the case and I was living near Bangkok or Pattaya, I

could get a job as a musician legally?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So that means I could join a Thai band, play with them, I could get a work permit? If that is the case and I was living near Bangkok or Pattaya, I

With the relevant company stuff, probably.

Until some official classes it as "Manual Labour".

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I read somewhere but cannot recall where that playing in a band is classed as work that a thai could do. But I cannot vouch for the validity of that "fact" however if you get that floyd gig and I don't I will have to shop you. I am sorry mate......

49 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

and a WP is defined and if you have one for teaching, for example, you cannot 'work' at anything else and the prohibition list is fixed. As has been said you might 'get away with it' but I, for one, don't take that chance and nor should you IMHO

If you want to keep on obeying every law or rule that any authority makes, then you would be as well just staying in your bed.:sad:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

About an hour ago I self pleasured to completion. Technically there are Thai's available to perform this task.

Should I be concerned ?

Only if you were doing it in a location where a Thai official was likely to be witnessing your fragrant denial of work to Thais. If others were witnessing your activity, there are, of course, laws other than the Alien Business Law that you may need to be concerned about.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With the relevant company stuff, probably.

Until some official classes it as "Manual Labour".

Manual labour???? It is a highly skilled job if you can play to a professional standard.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Manual labour???? It is a highly skilled job if you can play to a professional standard.

You are exerting physical effort (plucking a string) to an end result (making a sound), ergo, manual labour.

Same as a guy climbing a ladder with a hod (physical effort) to an end result (bricks at the top), manual labour.

I'll get my coat.

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You you could but you would have to be employed by a company or agency.

Edit: You can even get an extension as musician. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_17

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

I read somewhere but cannot recall where that playing in a band is classed as work that a thai could do. But I cannot vouch for the validity of that "fact" however if you get that floyd gig and I don't I will have to shop you. I am sorry mate......

Floyd? You mean Pink Floyd?? But it is music I play, not noise. Gawd, I hope Peltin Elton doesn't come looking for me the next time he plays in Thailand. I'll get the ass shagged off me.:shock1:

• Like 1