What is considered work?

4 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

90% of the construction industry is built on these migrant workers and this will be devastating to the industry if followed through as thais don't want to do the work and are lazy compared. Anyway let's see but it's been here for centuries.

Indeed, our home was built by a (mostly) Khmer crew who did an excellent job. A couple of times our contractor needed an advance on the next payment to bail them out after a daring police raid. Apparently it was cheaper to pay the occasional "fine" than to go through the hassle of getting them all registered.

Times they are a changing.

• Like 1

To rub salt into the wound.  We cannot get staff to help on the farm. Thailand has a labour shortage and in the new industrial age in a region with factories no one wants to work outside anymore.  It is not seen as cool to work.like a peasant farmer at any price. We have an old guy with emphysema from smoking. He is slow and lazy and not worth the 300 baht a day but there is no one else who wants work around here at all.  Our ability to grow the farm depends on our  ability to get staff and no staff are available.  Even if we paid well above rate staff would only work a few days or weeks and go off to work in a factory.  To answer your exact question, it all depends on your area and if you have any real enemies, but essentially all work is illegal, period. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YetAnother said:

the fact we are having this conversation indicates the remarkable insecuty of the drafters of the 1979 act

What does the immigration act of 1979 have to do with this discussion? Work permits and etc are the responsibility of the Labor Ministry.

Most things can be interpreted as work within the letter of the law. The spirit and practice of the law takes into account moving house, painting your own front fence etc. Contrary to popular opinion, the police will often practice the spirit of the law.

People will always attempt to abuse the spirit of the law, and use it as an excuses to work. 

Of course Thai police will reserve the option to call anything work, the day they says it legal to paint your fence, is the day someone will open a fence painting business.

Of course anyone caught working will offer the excuse of "I was just painting my own front fence" even if they have a renovation business.

After the Tsunami, lots of genuine volunteers, but also a number of people turning up with their golf clubs, in Chaing Mai etc, for a 1 year "volunteer" visit.

I am yet to hear (first hand) one of these "I got fined for washing the dog" stories, that doesn't have more to it.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Reading this kind of topics is like reading a comic book, always makes me laugh.

All Farangs/Expats getting upset and start typing fast and furious all kind of comments, some to the point, some just to stear it up.

But above all, I read about breaking laws and have to take care, I bring in and paid millions of Thai Baht so I can do.

Most of the comments is against enforcement by Police, Immigration or Ministry of Labour.

Time for the next topic: Driving in Thailand. All these people are pro enforcement of laws by Police, till they get stopped driving motorbikes without a helmet.

Then they shout out loud: Police needs pocket money.

Make up your minds, every country has laws, rules and enforcement. Some in your benefit, most of them not.

I agree with this new rules, all employees should be legal, registered, pay tax and have a right to Social Security and Insurance.

What we see now is just the result of Human Trafficking, lots of illegal migrants who worked long days of hard manual labour for small wages

are kicked out by their employers. People who paid Agents money for a job in Thailand, got here without Passport, Visa etc.

The Employer can tell them all he want, let them do all he want with a simple sentence: I report you to Immigration.

And all with an excuse that I also read in the comments: Thais do not want to do this kind of work.

Ask yourself the question: Do You want to do this kind of work for that kind of money under the same circumstances?

Edited by Khun Robert
typo
  • Like 1