Combative PM says his future role in politics is his ‘personal business’

webfact

Combative PM says his future role in politics is his ‘personal business’
By THE NATION

b4c00074c16b5b63ec6484755b11d0d1.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha opens the annual meeting of the Office of National Economic and Social Development Board at the Grand Diamond Ballroom of the Impact Muang Thong Thani exhibition centre in Nonthaburi’s Pak Kret district.

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that he had become “fed up” with the media asking whether he would contest the next general election. He maintained that it was his “personal business” to make a decision and that the media should not ask him again about it.

“All the newspapers and TV stations seem to be interested with my business – if I am going to contest the election. They seem to be insanely obsessed about this as if it’s a matter of life and death for them,” Prayut said.

“Whatever people say about this, let them. It’s my business. This is my clearest answer. And don’t ask me again,” he said.

The junta leader has been under mounting pressure to make it clear whether he planned to contest the next election or solicit parliamentary support to become a non-elected prime minister.

He raised the issue while giving a speech on the 12th Economic and Social Development Plan and Thailand’s future at Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi.

Prayut also criticised politicians who have filed petitions with the Constitutional Court and Administrative Court against the government’s national strategy law, adding that they seemed to have too much time on their hands. He said there was no reason to fear the national strategy law.

Democrat Party politician Wirat Kalayasiri, who is a legal expert, yesterday responded by saying that it was an issue about what was right and wrong regarding national interest.

“We need judgments from the relevant organisations [the courts] to see what is right and what is wrong,” he said.

Wirat urged the prime minister not to attempt to interfere with the judiciary’s powers. He added that politicians also had good intentions for the country and wanted to see it achieve achieve its full potential for everyone.

In his speech, Prayut also attacked Thai academics living overseas for criticising his post-coup government. He said that while the government had done many things for the country, academics still criticised the country from abroad.

He was apparently referring to academics who lived overseas in political asylum and had organised public forums criticising the junta-backed government for eroding democracy and violating human rights.

He did not name the academics but the government has previously singled out prominent activists Somsak Jeamteerasakul and Pavin Chachavalpongpun.

Prayut said his government had been trying to move Thailand forward by supporting every sector of society, including small and medium-sized enterprises and the poor. He dismissed criticism that his government was helping the rich more than the poor.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319803

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-04

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prayut also criticised politicians who have filed petitions with the Constitutional Court and Administrative Court against the government’s national strategy law, adding that they seemed to have too much time on their hands. He said there was no reason to fear the national strategy law.

The reason that they have too much time on their hands is that they have been excluded from their profession.

And while you might not fear the national strategy law, respectfully, everyone else does.

I disagree with Prayut. He took power by the barrel of a gun, has held the country hostage ever since and has delayed elections repeatedly for no valid reason. I think the public has every right to know if he intends to stand for election.

Isn't the ultimate contradiction when you say that ' my future life as a politician

is my business ' that's will be correct if you run a say 7/11 outlet,

but last time I looked, being a politician is all about serving

the nation and it's people, so how is it a ' personal business " ?.....

A bit of personal stress seems to be showing through - again. I hope he can cope for the sake of the media.

I suspect the immigrant workers mess created by his military colleagues hasn't helped. Or the fool he made of himself over the twerking dancer issue. 

Just another case of wanting your cake and eating it. You're the PM. You work for the people. The people are your boss. 

I've always wondered how a humble PM would be received. Would the population like it or would they see it as weak and all want their free something. 

Elections and who potential candidates maybe are not one man's personal business.  Prayuth the country isn't yours, it belongs to all Thais and politics involves all.   The nerve of this guy to treat his Subjects with such disregard and disrepect.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I disagree with Prayut. He took power by the barrel of a gun, has held the country hostage ever since and has delayed elections repeatedly for no valid reason. I think the public has every right to know if he intends to stand for election.

But, but, but he's one of the good people. These commoners really need to show due respect and stop asking difficult questions. Who do they think they are, asking about the future of their country?

19 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

By harrumphing at the media PM Prayut only displays his immaturity for leadership.

He is just acting like most entitled people in Thailand.  Though most of them stay mostly anonymous, preferring the use of government puppets.  He is ill equipped to deal with verbal confrontation and the journalists and critics enjoy being able to take a crack at such a target. 

It is the business of the Thai people. It is their business if they are to be offered the chance to vote for him in a free election (yes I know, a bit far fetched), and it is their business if he is imposed upon them as an appointed Prime Minister .

Itis only his personal business if the governance and governing of the nation is his private affair. On second thoughts...

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Did he ever leave?

Very observant.

Prayut is Chief of the NCPO cabal and as such has authority over the highest military ranks. Prayut as Chief even receives a salary separate from his PM salary and military retirement pension.

Wrong, PM you work for the people not the other way around.  Therefore, your bosses (the public) have a right to know and understand your intentions.  Who the hell does he "think" he is?  Politics is public, not private.  

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Elections and who potential candidates maybe are not one man's personal business.  Prayuth the country isn't yours, it belongs to all Thais and politics involves all.   The nerve of this guy to treat his Subjects with such disregard and disrepect.

gov.jpg.8e4cf9fe94e1c13e1e50f73f29c9e04b.jpg

Edited by ratcatcher

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He maintained that it was his “personal business” to make a decision and that the media should not ask him again about it.

How many times have we heard these same words in the past 3 years, every time when he get caught out on his lies.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Even if there was an "election" he and his would still be in charge and very little would change apart from maybe a tighter grip on power.

Its odd how few people actually acknowledge the constitutional changes entrenching military power and the 20 year plan as well as stacking the houses.