Dry Season: Health dept asks Thais to kick booze for 3-month Buddhist Lent

webfact

Dry Season: Health dept asks Thais to kick booze for 3-month Buddhist Lent

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Photo: Masroor Hamid/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- Two public health groups have asked Thais to quit the sauce for Buddhist Lent, a three-month season that begins Sunday.

The Stop Drink Network and the Thai Health Promotion Foundation want mass public participation in the booze-free initiative, which will not include any happy hours, late-night clubbing, or drunken karaoke sessions. Instead, expect early nights, extra cash, and no hangovers.

The foundations suggest using the time that you would have spent getting wasted on doing good deeds, reported Thai News Bureau.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/dry-season-health-dept-asks-thais-kick-booze-3-month-buddhist-lent/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-07-06

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good initiative, and i wish good luck to all those who are trying to be alcohol free for 3 months, even if you just ignore the religious sentiment attached to it, which is just like a crutch to support for those in need.

Lets say this advice was taken up, 100% would it make any difference to the government's coffers? That's the alcohol revenue for 1/4 of a year gone without speculating about those that find they no longer want to drink anyway.

Just wonder???

Upon original viewing of this post, I thought it was some sort of a joke, right?

First Thailand creates new operation hours for bars.

Then it starts selling booze only during certain hours of each day.

Then it stops sells at petrol stations, and outposts.

Then it restricts bars from being close to schools, temples ect.

Then it hikes up alcohol prices serval times over the past ten years, 

in an effort to discourage sells.

Restrict sells of alcohol during most holidays,

and any other events, which take place within Thailand...as often as they can get away with.

Now they think they can ask for it's citizens to reframe from purchasing liquor for 3 month. :cheesy:

So happy I stopped consuming liquor a decade ago.

Though one should ponder what's next for this countries bright future, 

when so little is available for people to enjoy during their free time, 

in the way of entertainment.

Though I don't consider consuming liquor a form of entertainment, 

it usually helps people to enjoy or except how boring their life is, 

with so little options in the form of outside entertainment within the country...

"Two public health groups have asked Thais to quit the sauce for Buddhist Lent, a three-month season that begins Sunday."

That request will fly like a lead balloon. "Might as well throw in a pack of smokes with that Lau Khao."

Edited by jaltsc

LMAOROTFL99 !!!!

I could see 3 days, but not 3 months ! 

Could be worse - thay could ask for a 3 month alcohol ban nationwide ! Imagine the crying that would happen then !!

36 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

...and while we are at it- drive carefully, stop gambling, road rage, and beating your wife and kids.:cheesy: :burp: :cheesy: :drunk:

geez you think will stop drinking for 3 months No chance I would have more chance winning the lotto Love the jokes the boys in government crack:partytime2:

36 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

LMAOROTFL99 !!!!

I could see 3 days, but not 3 months ! 

Could be worse - thay could ask for a 3 month alcohol ban nationwide ! Imagine the crying that would happen then !!

Prohibition is a fine money making machine...

The gf's father did 2 or 3 years ago and has not had a drink since. The most I could do was 8 days working in a remote, dry aboriginal community in the NT. The first couple of beers after tasted funny so I will not try for 3 months.

It's been a usual 3 month off alcohol Thai thing in my village since l lived here from 2005, find this post a bit dated,  many younger here don't bother now.

Do see the odd guy walking around with the 150 m bottle who said he don't drink alcohol. :whistling: