Full steam ahead for Phuket’s much-delayed Chalong underpass

webfact

Full steam ahead for Phuket’s much-delayed Chalong underpass

Chutharat Plerin

1499406452_1-org.jpg

Construction of the underpass pretty much came to a standstill at 16% completion. Photo: Prawarit Musika

PHUKET: -- Construction of the Chalong Underpass can now move forward after the ongoing issue of land expropriation has settled between the Department of Highways and four land owners, a project engineer from the Department of Highways, Mr Somkiat Yimpong, confirmed yesterday (July 6).

However, Mr Somkiat was unable to say the cost of the land expropriation.

“There were (initially) 34 landowners who would in total were required to expropriate 900 metres of land. However, there were four land owners who could not agree on land expropriation covering 100m.

Full story:  http://www.thephuketnews.com/full-steam-ahead-for-phuket-much-delayed-chalong-underpass-62883.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-07

That could be good news, but there is bad news for "Full steam ahead"

Where do they find the workers now as migrant workers are leaving?:shock1:

Also after a year, they are already considering diversions from Viset

Their road plan is just complete madness. In most areas where underpasses exist, there could have been overpasses instead, cheaper, quicker, with better results. This doesn't do anything to the amount of traffic on the roads. This plan is a brainchild of a complete moron. 

• 1 month later...

They are certainly not multitasking. Although work on the (be)side roads are moving ahead on the Rawai side the ones the Chao Fa West side are an absolute disgrace. When you have the daily jostle by large tour buses all trying to get through the circle at one time as well as other motorists pushing in to help the gridlock it becomes a complete shambles.

Why is there no digging. This is a pre requisite for an underpass. Coming up to 2 years now.

Most on here predicted this shambles as soon as the project was announced. It's made the job at Tesco (by the same contractors) look slick! 

The land between Chaofa East and West has been empty for months. Why didn't they use the long period of downtime to demolish this structure and clear the land? As Valentine stated, multitasking is not in the Thai vocabulary. 

Anyone have any idea of how the traffic not using the underpass (the majority of it!) will be controlled because a roundabout as small as the current one is absolutely hopeless with the increasing number of big buses and trucks? I hope not traffic lights as that was a disaster when they tried it before and it'll be equally bad even with the underpass relieving one area of the traffic flow.

The project engineer was unable to state the cost of the expropriation- wicked!  

Some may remember a number of years back when he road was being widened one guy held out for more cash. The widened road was opened except for a ridiculous strip about 30m long. finally it was resolved.

A similar situation exists on 'Soi Banzaan' in Patong where an incomplete building juts out into the road. its quite dangerous at times when the wiggly tin works loose.

I'm not sure about the relevance of comments on roadworks in Pattaya.

I've just noticed a positive development at the underpass works. Nothing to do with the construction but they have at last moved the barriers so you can turn right into the side road that allows you to avoid the Circle if you're going to Patak Road. Previously you needed a u-turn. I never worked out why.

Next job, drain the water after the last couple of days rain.

On 8/24/2017 at 11:56 AM, Psimbo said:

Some may remember a number of years back when he road was being widened one guy held out for more cash. The widened road was opened except for a ridiculous strip about 30m long. finally it was resolved.

Yes, it only took a few lives to convince the owner to sell........

The bit of land was one lane wide by about 7, or 8 mtrs in length. No way near 30 mtrs.

Edited by KarenBravo

On 8/29/2017 at 9:16 AM, KarenBravo said:

Yes, it only took a few lives to convince the owner to sell........

The bit of land was one lane wide by about 7, or 8 mtrs in length. No way near 30 mtrs.

And "the owner" put water tanks there.

On 24/08/2017 at 11:37 AM, madmitch said:

Most on here predicted this shambles as soon as the project was announced. It's made the job at Tesco (by the same contractors) look slick! 

The land between Chaofa East and West has been empty for months. Why didn't they use the long period of downtime to demolish this structure and clear the land? As Valentine stated, multitasking is not in the Thai vocabulary. 

Anyone have any idea of how the traffic not using the underpass (the majority of it!) will be controlled because a roundabout as small as the current one is absolutely hopeless with the increasing number of big buses and trucks? I hope not traffic lights as that was a disaster when they tried it before and it'll be equally bad even with the underpass relieving one area of the traffic flow.

Sorry it is (the word Multi-tasking that is)....go to google translate and it comes out as mulltee-taskin....

Once again SORRY !

https://translate.google.com/#en/th/multitasking

They still haven't even finished moving the power poles from the southern end of the circle on Viset Road! Has any actual digging of the underpass started? I always turn onto Cha Fao East now. Never going down the West road if I don't have to!

3 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

They still haven't even finished moving the power poles from the southern end of the circle on Viset Road! Has any actual digging of the underpass started? I always turn onto Cha Fao East now. Never going down the West road if I don't have to!

Maybe some foundations going in on the Visit Rd side as I saw a couple of concrete trucks there yesterday. They always seem to be moving dirt but no sign of going under yet.

7 hours ago, Valentine said:

Maybe some foundations going in on the Visit Rd side as I saw a couple of concrete trucks there yesterday. They always seem to be moving dirt but no sign of going under yet.

I think they are doing drainage work on Viset from what I could see. I don't even see a hole in the ground at the southern end of the main construction site.