Group urges strict enforcement of anti-alcohol drink laws

Group urges strict enforcement of anti-alcohol drink laws

By Suriya Patathayo
The Nation

29ed4c1d6d474edde7e815f25dcd813d.jpeg

Some 35 members of the Stop Drink Network and related organisations submitted a petition to national police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda on Friday to have officers strictly enforce anti-alcohol drink measures during the three-month Buddhist Lent period.

The group also wanted police to enforce laws strictly on Asarnha Puja Day, which falls on July 8.

Deputy police spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharoen, who collected the petition on Chakthip's behalf from the network's public policy plan manager Wisanu Srithawong, said that the Royal Thai Police (RTP) already strictly enforces the law and anti-alcohol measures.

The Public Health Ministry and allies encourage people to refrain from alcohol consumption during the Buddhist Lent period from July 20 to October 16, while campaigning for public awareness that alcohol is a major cause of health problems, violence, accidents and premature death.

Besides strictly enforcing law, the network also urged the RTP to collect statistics on the outcome and consider preventive measures in the future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30320162

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-7

They look like a smiling, happy bunch.

The glum faces aren't doing their cause any favors.  It is possible to be drink free and happy.

I haven't had a drink in almost 3 decades, but if I always looked like this bunch, I may reconsider.  

14 hours ago, YetAnother said:

yes and jehovah's witnesses want to save us; in other words they want to make the laws

They want to impose their will on everyone.  If someone doesn't want to imbibe, that is their decision.  I respect that.  Many people enjoy a beer or the spirit of their choice.  In moderation, that is fine too.

The problem is that many cannot hold their liquor and spiral out of control.  That and those who don't have the ability to realize they are impaired and insist on driving.  This is where the problem lies, not with those who drink responsibly.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

The glum faces aren't doing their cause any favors.  It is possible to be drink free and happy.

I haven't had a drink in almost 3 decades, but if I always looked like this bunch, I may reconsider.  

The face of sobriety... :sad:

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Almost two decades for me but I agree, that is enough to drive anyone to drink.

Besides, drinking responsibly can be determined in different ways.................:smile:

59605130d952c_DrinkResponsibly.jpg.66f20dfa2df4635ba1d25118d07db45c.jpg

Edited by chrisinth

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Thanks for the laugh, impulse ! Your last sentence, in particular, is a pearl :cheesy:

On the burning issues of fanaticism and righteousness, here is a quote from the latest Michael Crichton novel, which takes place in the West of the US in 1876 (he probably didn't write this book, but never mind, it's a good one anyway and he could definitely have authored this particular passage) :

[...] "For forty years, the Mormons were hounded and persecuted in every state of the Union; now they make their own state, and persecute the Gentiles in turn." Cope shook his head. "You would think that people who had experienced injustice would be loath to inflict it on others, and yet they do so with alacrity. The victims becomes the victimizers with a chilling righteousness. This is the nature of fanaticism, to attract and provoke extremes of behavior. And this is why fanatics are all the same, whatever specific form their fanaticism takes."

"Are you saying Mormons are fanatics?" asked Morton, the minister's son.

"I am saying their religion has made a state that does not halt injustice, but rather institutionalizes it. They feel superior to others who have different beliefs. They feel only they possess the right way".

Food for thought ...

Edited by Yann55

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

strictly enforce anti-alcohol drink measures during the three-month Buddhist Lent period

Get Buddhist abbots and monks to properly behave during the lent period as well.

No alcohol at the temples ever.

I dated a girl once who said she didn't drink alcohol, ergo, she was a good girl. I asked why drinking alcohol made someone bad. She couldn't explain why but apparently that's just the way it is. 

She was a boring person who lived for portraying a false image. I told her that we will all be worm food one day so might as well enjoy the ride. If you don't wanna drink, good on you. But don't make it a moral vs immoral thing. That's your hang up. Not other people's. 

14 hours ago, WhizBang said:

They want to impose their will on everyone.  If someone doesn't want to imbibe, that is their decision.  I respect that.  Many people enjoy a beer or the spirit of their choice.  In moderation, that is fine too.

The problem is that many cannot hold their liquor and spiral out of control.  That and those who don't have the ability to realize they are impaired and insist on driving.  This is where the problem lies, not with those who drink responsibly.

There are people on both ends of the spectrum.  

Those who have no problems with alcohol, and can't understand that some of us do- whether it be physical or mental.  (Much like those who aren't allergic to peanuts and can't understand those who are)

And on the other end, those who do have a problem with alcohol and can't understand that most people don't.  (Like the people allergic to bee stings who can't understand how people can possibly enjoy hiking in wildflowers)

Neither should get into the business of the other, much less the vast majority who are "to each his own" on the topic.

My 4 year old grandson went on a school trip to a temple this week where, presumably, the children had the meaning of Budhist Lent explained to them.

Last night, as I was pouring a beer, he solemnly informed me that the monk had told him I was "going to go to hell" and tried to take it off me.

I said I'd be sure to say hello to the monk when I got there but he's a bit too young for sarcasm.

Chemically treated rice wine (moonshine), yaa baa, ice, lousy traffic enforcement, guns, and stupidity might also have an impact on health problems, violence, accidents and premature death.

Well it ain't gonna be a dry day in the GT household, Rugby's on soon, followed by Cricket followed by Formula 1 tomorrow, beers in the fridge, Gin & Tonic on standby and the Twiglets will be in a bowl soon, see you all on the other side fellas (and ladies of course) :smile: 

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The women remind me of this oldie..............

th?id=OIP.LGS4y8MmcrZ6XrObY2WRSQEZEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Anyone for a kiss .....:partytime2:

:cheesy::clap2:brilliant, AFJ !!!!

Where did you find this magnificent piece of human sanctimonious stupidity ? I particularly like the lady on the left, the one who points at the sign ... reminds me of something ....

Oh well ... between two evils, I know which one I'lll choose : :burp:

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The women remind me of this oldie..............

th?id=OIP.LGS4y8MmcrZ6XrObY2WRSQEZEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Anyone for a kiss .....:partytime2:

No, I think I rather would have a beer if it's all the same with you...