Do you give money to beggars on the street?

joeyg

On 7/8/2017 at 6:20 AM, jeab1980 said:

Theres nothing like the milk of human kidness. Especialy on here nothing like it.

Why  is TVF ,  so  judgemental ,, again .

Up to  Yahoo , i wont  loose sleep over  20  / 50 bht . 

I  give  larger tips to  prossies/ hookers  in the bars , for topping my beer up . 

Edited by elliss

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want support people trafficking,  child labour, mafia and corruption, so no.  Giving to Street beggars is a selfish act that encourages all the above.  

I used to live in India, where you can child abuse, mutilation, blinding and abduction to the list.

Like others have said, there are better ways to help people in need.

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

My expectations are always positive.....

I can count on less than my fingers the actual less than good experiences here over the years....

(Watching other driver's thoughtless exhibitions doesn't count) ....

Same for me, the positive experiences outnumber the negative ones by far !!!

Best Regards.

Edited by off road pat

8 hours ago, Tilacme said:

What a patronising comment,  I would be more surprised by unconditional kindness from a farang.

There is nothing Patronising in my statement, Just experience !

Edited by off road pat

On 08.07.2017 at 3:13 PM, joeyg said:

I've spent a lot of time in India over the years involved in medical humanitarian work.  It was always bad.  It's really become hell on earth now.  It is a nightmare.

You should also spend some time  in the streets of Milan, Madrid, Paris or NYC...full of misery, homeless junkies, east european gangs putting their children and crippled on the streets to beg and similar...sad, I agree with you.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, BudRight said:

Not only are most beggars "fake," but people give money mostly so they can feel good about good about themselves. "See what I swell guy I am, I'm so generous," etc.

I have a shower every day because it makes me feel good about myself. For the same reason I wear a clean shirt every day and make sure my shoes are clean and tidy. I give up my seat on the tube to women, senior citizens and the disabled because I believe it's the right thing to do and as a consequence  makes me feel good about myself. I give money to people I think are deserving. I never do these things to look good in the eyes of my peers.........its to look and feel good In my own eyes. 

What's wrong with people wanting to feel good about themselves? What's the alternative?

OP, you made an intersting and thoughtfull post which captures our interest in TV as much as in real life.

It s (everyday) hard to distinguish between real need and professional beggars.

We all know that professional beggars will try to use pittyfull emosions against you.

I spended 3 months this year in pattaya.In 3 months, I was able to tell the difference between professsional beggars

and people who are in need.I spended my money-and gave my friendship- to people that never asked me anything.

Father Ray foundation is a sure hit.You can go and meet the orfan children.You will get a receit for your donation.

2500 baht buys a lunch for all children.I recommend it.

You have the right to say no in the street,as you don t know if you are conned or not.People make a living

from the street,but you don t.I m personaly kind, and I m defensive.

You need to establish the power to say no ,if otherwise people will take advantage on you.

10 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Yes.  From Cambodia and Lao.  They are often the victims of land mines - not a lot of land mines in Thailand. 

Yeah we heard this guy as he was smiling the other day pointing to his skin and saying to the effect "that's why he makes the big bucks"  No more giving to beggars for me.  Also spent six months in West Bengal involved in a child protection NGO. It was hell on earth and I've been traveling to India since 1974.

As it turned out the NGO was also corrupt and protecting certain wealthy individuals lawyers, doctors etc. that were pedophiles. The corruption went all the way to the CID in Delhi. We were lucky to get out of there into the airport in Kolkata with our lives.

1 hour ago, Moo du said:

OP, you made an intersting and thoughtfull post which captures our interest in TV as much as in real life.

It s (everyday) hard to distinguish between real need and professional beggars.

We all know that professional beggars will try to use pittyfull emosions against you.

I spended 3 months this year in pattaya.In 3 months, I was able to tell the difference between professsional beggars

and people who are in need.I spended my money-and gave my friendship- to people that never asked me anything.

Father Ray foundation is a sure hit.You can go and meet the orfan children.You will get a receit for your donation.

2500 baht buys a lunch for all children.I recommend it.

You have the right to say no in the street,as you don t know if you are conned or not.People make a living

from the street,but you don t.I m personaly kind, and I m defensive.

You need to establish the power to say no ,if otherwise people will take advantage on you.

I will check it out previously I had been involved in doing some regular humanitarian Medical volunteer work here in Thailand I got very disillusioned with the organization that was taking care of these kids. I think they're doing an OK job but there are lots of things going on that I didn't like. I'm a little "spooked"  About any organized religious organizations these days and I've been around a few.

3 hours ago, aright said:

I have a shower every day because it makes me feel good about myself. For the same reason I wear a clean shirt every day and make sure my shoes are clean and tidy. I give up my seat on the tube to women, senior citizens and the disabled because I believe it's the right thing to do and as a consequence  makes me feel good about myself. I give money to people I think are deserving. I never do these things to look good in the eyes of my peers.........its to look and feel good In my own eyes. 

What's wrong with people wanting to feel good about themselves? What's the alternative?

Yep there are worse things to do one would think. But some of the other posters here Who have enlightened

me to what the real scene is with most of these beggars. Just will use more extreme discretion in the future.

Edited by joeyg

11 hours ago, off road pat said:

Same for me, the positive experiences outnumber the negative ones by far !!!

Best Regards.

Entirely off-topic, but it depends so much on personal circumstances and experiences.

We learn how to (largely) avoid situations that are likely to result in a 'negative experience', and sometimes are taken by suprise when locals show ordinary human kindness (having listened to too many 'horror' stories....).

My personal experience is that in some circumstances, more unknown Thais will go out of their way to help - compared to unknown Westerners.

19 hours ago, joeyg said:

Yep there are worse things to do one would think. But some of the other posters here Who have enlightened

me to what the real scene is with most of these beggars. Just will use more extreme discretion in the future.

nice to see someone who can change their opinion from the start of a topic  to the  end instead of the  forever rose tinted BS that certain people spout, 

Actually I came up with a solution for this dilemma. I have just decided to give a little bit more in tips and buy some of the girls more drinks in places that I frequent from time to time. Charity starts at home... :intheclub:

PS it's been working out great so far. In some cases actually a nice little ROI... :welcomeani:

Edited by joeyg

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, Thongkorn said:

this topic has been done to death , NO

Which puts it in the same category with about 50 others...   TVF could probably fit its entire forum history on a single outdated cellphone if it weren't for such golden oldies.

21 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Even the Thai government tell citizens not to  give to beggars, 

Spot on ,  give your donations to the the  Goverment . 

19 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Which puts it in the same category with about 50 others...   TVF could probably fit its entire forum history on a single outdated cellphone if it weren't for such golden oldies.

Hope you're enjoying reading it.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Hope you're enjoying reading it.

Perversely, I sometimes do.  'The my-case-is-different-because  pseudo-drama.   Far more informative than CNN or MSNBC and occasionally almost as inventive.

I am interested to know how  TV punters , who are happy to give, handle their donations. Do you give every time you recognise a need . I have a friend  who puts all his small change into the charity box whenever he buys something  at the corner shop. Some people  buy their books CDs and Dvds at charity shops on the basis that every little helps. I personally have a monthly plan. Some people don't want to give money but are happy to give their time. I know two people who spend time helping at the Pattaya  Children's Home. Any others?  

1 hour ago, aright said:

I am interested to know how  TV punters , who are happy to give, handle their donations. Do you give every time you recognise a need . I have a friend  who puts all his small change into the charity box whenever he buys something  at the corner shop. Some people  buy their books CDs and Dvds at charity shops on the basis that every little helps. I personally have a monthly plan. Some people don't want to give money but are happy to give their time. I know two people who spend time helping at the Pattaya  Children's Home. Any others?  

At least you know the Poor are getting help, and not some gang master,

• 2 weeks later...