KKK rally reported in Thai news

In the daily 10 minute news report Thai TV station Mono29 today choose to feature a report about the KKK rally in Charlottesville.

Amazing really why this is newsworthy to Thai.

If you consider what does/does not get reported in Thailand, this actually says quite a bit as to what western world news the Thai media decide to report on.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Any advertising is good advertising...

Imagine how many hits the KKK Group got when Thai's Google KKK:

http://www.longtailboatkkk.com/index.aspx\

Though, I must say I'd have chosen a different name for the company.

Im not sure what the Thais take on it. Maybe so many K words and khao being their favourite topic of discussion?

The KKK thing though im not sure what the point is for reporting on this, but i got my suspicions.

Maybe they think its some cool underground pop culture? 

Like those Thai University kids a few years ago, cause a big stink by having a rally dressing up as Hitler

1 minute ago, bamukloy said:

Im not sure what the Thais take on it. Maybe so many K words and khao being their favourite topic of discussion?

The KKK thing though im not sure what the point is for reporting on this, but i got my suspicions.

Maybe they think its some cool underground pop culture? 

Like those Thai University kids a few years ago, cause a big stink by having a rally dressing up as Hitler

There's a lot of tit for tat.  After the USA dinged Thailand in its recent TIP report, I suspect this is to remind the Thai people that US poop smells bad, too.

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

There's a lot of tit for tat.  After the USA dinged Thailand in its recent TIP report, I suspect this is to remind the Thai people that US poop smells bad, too.

Good point.

Pretty hard not to see the unspoken message here.. "See, us Thais not so bad after all"

Is a bit like watching western movie on Thai Television.

A middle age farang lady drinking out of a coffee mug at 7am is need to be fuzzed out of focus because you know those evil farang lady all drink whisky at 7am in the morning.lol

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And today's Sweeping Generalization of the Day Award goes to...

I was talking about the Thai media and what important foriegner news they would choose to put in a 5 minute "world news" report.

So since you support them,  please correct me on how good and unbiased a news source is the Thai media?

If they choose a KKK rally in some backward  place in hicksville USA,

over all world news,

yes it DOES say a lot about the Thai media.

And actually while you mention it, it does also says something about Thai society because this editor/producer is choosing news they think will be popular or is of interest to the general Thai public.

So, what is it that was sweeping generalisation?

And at least what i give you i can proove and actually happened.

Not like half the BS opinions some posters put on here and pass off as fact

Charlottesville Virginia is a sophisticated university town in a beautiful locale. It is not a "Hicksville" backwater. The story really was about how the anti-KKK protesters massively outnumbered the racist haters. 

Perhaps that's the Thai hook. Surely there are some Thai students at the University there. 

Edited by Jingthing

Mentioned but not linked are the comments about the university ( seat of higher learning that may spawn future leaders of the country)  and news reports ( heavy influencers in public opinion)

Both highlight racial purity activities. 

Am am I the only paranoid to see the link here........

The issue is an interesting one.

Of course Virginia was on the confederate side in the last U.S. civil war.

So they have a monument honoring Robert E. Lee. 

The current trend in the U.S. is to destroy monuments honoring confederate leaders.

Personally I don't think everyone opposing these destructions are rabid racists.

But the KKK members definitely are. 

Edited by Jingthing

27 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Mentioned but not linked are the comments about the university ( seat of higher learning that may spawn future leaders of the country)  and news reports ( heavy influencers in public opinion)

Both highlight racial purity activities. 

Am am I the only paranoid to see the link here........

No, but on TV strangely all the ones who usually Thai bash will suddenly turn around into apologist and tell you your paranoid! Wow!

In the old days of television broadcast they use to flash a subliminal message on the screen, you could hardly notice at normal speed. I think it was mainly for advertising, but for sure it was made to plant a seed in the subconcious mind.

These days i guess the public is to dumb for such a thing and you dont have to be so subtle

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The issue is an interesting one.

Of course Virginia was on the confederate side in the last U.S. civil war.

So they have a monument honoring Robert E. Lee. 

The current trend in the U.S. is to destroy monuments honoring confederate leaders.

Personally I don't think everyone opposing these destructions are rabid racists.

But the KKK members definitely are. 

After what the KKK done in history ( thats prooven as fact) i cant even believe they are allowed to exist in public.

Many countries write a law against it and as such call it promoting racial hatred.

To me it is not much different than if a group of Natzis went and had a remembering Hitler rally.

I know with Thais they dont think very heavily into things but to feature this news when so much else is happening is distasteful.

Still i guess if i was the Thai authorities i would much rather have this in the news before something like.....errr.....the danger of island getaways

Edited by bamukloy
Spelling

20 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

After what the KKK done in history ( thats prooven as fact) i cant even believe they are allowed to exist in public.

Many countries write a law against it and as such call it promoting racial hatred.

To me it is not much different than if a group of Natzis went and had a remembering Hitler rally.

I know with Thais they dont think very heavily into things but to feature this news when so much else is happening is distasteful.

Still i guess if i was the Thai authorities i would much rather have this in the news before something like.....errr.....the danger of island getaways

Yes, the KKK is very bad.

But in the U.S. system, free speech is protected for all.

All includes the KKK and Nazis.

I support the U.S. system in that regard but I understand other nations don't want to go that far. 

1 hour ago, champers said:

50 KKK marchers and 2000 demonstrators doesn't show US in a bad light for me.

Thats true.

I thought  USA would apply some law against 'inciting racial hatred'  in things like this but i guess not?

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, the KKK is very bad.

But in the U.S. system, free speech is protected for all.

All includes the KKK and Nazis.

I support the U.S. system in that regard but I understand other nations don't want to go that far. 

Ok thanks, you answered my question.

I guess it not a very nice topic but it is weirdly interesting to me for some reason.

It seems to me the world is going backwards in some regards to racism.

Still some will always support this and that but when it come to be your own minority group it will become very different!