Canadian Drug Suspect Found Hanged In Cell Room, Cop Says

webfact

Canadian Drug Suspect Found Hanged In Cell Room, Cop Says

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

S__3760134-696x479.jpg

Police officers arrive at the detention center where a Canadian drug suspect was found hanged Wednesday morning.

BANGKOK — A Canadian man arrested on charges of transnational drug trafficking hanged himself in a police station cell room Wednesday morning, police said.

Police arrested Alexander Cazes, 26, in eastern Bangkok on July 5 following a request from American authorities, anti-narcotics bureau commander Sommai Kongwisaisuk told reporters. He was held at the bureau’s detention center to await his extradition.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/07/12/canadian-drug-suspect-found-hanged-cell-room-cop-says/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-12

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian suspect hangs himself in detention cell

By Thai PBS

vlcsnap-2017-07-12-15h26m03s047.png

BANGKOK: -- A Canadian national wanted by the United States on drug charges was found to have hanged himself to death in a detention cell of the Narcotic Suppression Bureau (NSB) on Wednesday (July 12) morning, according to police reports.

The man, Alexander Cazes, 26, was arrested on July 5 by NSB police from house No 514 at the Private House housing estate on Phutthamonthon Sai 3 road in Bangkok’s Thawe Watthana district under a warrant issued on June 30 by the Criminal Court.

The warrant was issued at the request of the United States, which wanted him arrested and extradited to face drug charges in that country.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/canadian-suspect-hangs-detention-cell/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-12

That's drastic behavior...

But..faced with many years in a cage and no parole (if Federal), not entirely insane.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

You are, by definition, off your feet when you are hanging, but you get my drift I'm sure...

40 minutes ago, bobbin said:

That's drastic behavior...

But..faced with many years in a cage and no parole (if Federal), not entirely insane.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

You are, by definition, off your feet when you are hanging, but you get my drift I'm sure...

Maybe so, but a lot can happen between a holding cell in Thailand and a lifetime in a US Federal prison.  

I'd have played the hand a little further before doing anything irreversible.  I can always hang myself later.

Edited by impulse

Maybe The U.S. got smart...?

They can't really have wanted to pay for this guy's extradition, trial and then possibly have to take care of him (food, housing, guards, healthcare etc.) for who knows how long.

Although, they might still want their justice.

Thailand can be obliging in many circumstances.

NAH!!!  Never-mind.  The USA can't have gotten that smart, even with The Don at the helm.

13 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Too many conspiracy theorists frequenting this forum.

What do Thai authorities have to gain here.

I'll make it easy.......... nothing!

Laws in Thailand are not on the books to protect the people or punish criminals. They are there to facilitate an additional income stream for authorities. It is no secret that the BIB are often in collusion with criminals. If said criminal is incarcerated the people receiving payment don't want him singing. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

4 hours ago, Marley01 said:

Let me guess, video cameras not working?

I dont know if you have ever visited a police cell block, but there are no video cameras and no supervision. People are just left in a metal barred cell for two days until release or sent to court.   

Food is not even always given, because there is no obligation unlike in a prison. Police only go past the cells when depositing or taking prisoners. So it is quite possible for someone to hang themselves using their shirt or other item of clothing tied to a bar.   

Usually a police cell will contain several prisoners, who could have stopped him. But for foreigners its common practice to be given a seperate cell to themselves.  

If this guy was caught with drugs and knew the sentence would be 20+ years in a Thai jail... Well that's pretty much a death sentence.   

What I find odd is why no attempt at bribing was made. Or post bail and hike across the border to cambodia. It would be worth a try..

Edited by the donger

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Ran out of money? :whistling:

4 lambos and B400m in property assets- highly unlikely.

Strap those tinfoil hats on boys- we're in for about ten pages of conspiracy theories on this one! :partytime2:

The officer opened the cell and found the Canadian lying face down and dead on the floor. 

??  So he managed to let himself down and lie face down on the floor after he had finished the hanging. Just like Elise Dellamagne managed to lower herself on to a rock and wrap herself in tee shirts.  

At least Cazes was spared being eaten by lizards.   

1 hour ago, Sakeopete said:

Laws in Thailand are not on the books to protect the people or punish criminals. They are there to facilitate an additional income stream for authorities. It is no secret that the BIB are often in collusion with criminals. If said criminal is incarcerated the people receiving payment don't want him singing. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

Spot-on! 

2 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

My thoughts exactly. Things are not always as they appear. Or reported. I'll have 10 bucks each way on this one. 

Maybe The U.S. got smart...?

They can't really have wanted to pay for this guy's extradition, trial and then possibly have to take care of him (food, housing, guards, healthcare etc.) for who knows how long.
Although, they might still want their justice.

Thailand can be obliging in many circumstances.

NAH!!!  Never-mind.  The USA can't have gotten that smart, even with The Don at the helm.

Given the USA has the highest incarceration rate in the western world, don't think they care about the cost. They just want to get their wrongdoing man!

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Too many conspiracy theorists frequenting this forum.

What do Thai authorities have to gain here.

I'll make it easy.......... nothing!

A very lucrative windfall for the Thai wife, BiB, justice officials and immigration folks.  All of this guys assets get dispersed as fast as possible to those who can get access.  Some gets confiscated as ill gotten, but no doubt the wife has a fat emergency stack, stashed in her name.  The BiB and others, calculated that there was more to gain, than just skinny brown envelopes, compared to the big picture.  If he's dead, they scalp what they can.

Edited by CanuckThai
spelling