Pattaya "The World Class Resort where no one can spell!"

webfact

19 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A typographical error on a sign giving directions to Pattaya City Hall in Chon Buri province was caused by the contractor who erected the sign before it was approved and proofread by the city, Pattaya City mayor Pol Maj General Anan Charoenchasri said on Thursday.

Of course it was the contractor's fault, no one from the city needed to check the sign as being correct.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

Out of all the people who are going to ridicule Thais for misspelling English can write in Thai?

Answer very few.

I can do my son's Thai homework with him. I use a dictionary to translate to get vocabulary, then I work on finding examples of syntax, and finally I ask a Thai to check my work - knowing that it is actually impossible to correctly write a language even if you speak it fluently.

I make no errors because I am not afraid to ask a Thai to proof-read it. When I'm not interested to share the student experience with him, then I'll just allow a Thai to spoonfeed him the answers instead.

If someone offered you a very well paid sideline writing signs in Thai - assuming it would be very well paid by your own definition, not theirs - would you refuse the post due to your incompetence?

I think not, because most of us would happily accept our weaknesses and hire a couple of Thai teachers that we could send messages to in LINE and receive a correct text to put on the sign.

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

I can do my son's Thai homework with him. I use a dictionary to translate to get vocabulary, then I work on finding examples of syntax, and finally I ask a Thai to check my work - knowing that it is actually impossible to correctly write a language even if you speak it fluently.

I make no errors because I am not afraid to ask a Thai to proof-read it. When I'm not interested to share the student experience with him, then I'll just allow a Thai to spoonfeed him the answers instead.

If someone offered you a very well paid sideline writing signs in Thai - assuming it would be very well paid by your own definition, not theirs - would you refuse the post due to your incompetence?

I think not, because most of us would happily accept our weaknesses and hire a couple of Thai teachers that we could send messages to in LINE and receive a correct text to put on the sign.

'I make no errors because I am not afraid to ask a Thai to proof-read it.'

Something the Thais won't do when it comes to English translated from Thai. 

21 hours ago, aonangkrabi said:

The best transcription should be Phatthaya, because Thai writing indicates that both the p and the t sounds are aspirated. The Thai language differentiates between unaspirated and aspirated p, t, k.

European languages don't do that. English, German and Nordic languages always aspirate while Dutch, French, Spanish and Italian never do that.

I admit it is difficult to transcribe when your mother tongue is English, because the English spelling is even inadequate for the English language. When I want to know for sure how to pronounce a Thai word, I always have to check the Thai writing.

What about the "i" on suvanapmphumi? is that galan?

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I loved the mis spelled signs when I see them,  I have a good chuckle and am cheered up by reading

them. Keep up the good work!

Geezer

Here is one for you, Hat Yai International Airport.

HDYintairport.jpg

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I loved the mis spelled signs when I see them,  I have a good chuckle and am cheered up by reading

them. Keep up the good work!

Geezer

How about this one: Produce speed, to make it over the rails, before the train crosses the road. Seen in Baan Phru, near Hat Yai.

Producespeed250.jpg

Edited by fxe1200

21 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Suvanabhumi, actually? I don't think so. Correct pronunciation would be Suwanabhum as the Thai language does not have the letter 'V' it uses 'W' . As for the spelling and in addition to this, it should be understood that although there is a letter sounding like 'ee' as the last letter it is silent and has a silent marker above it much the same as the town of Buriram (ee)

I'll never understand why they didn't just spell the name of the airport like it is pronounced. Why add an 'i' at the end if it is silent and you are just making up an English spelling for a Thai word?  Careful observers will note that there is one large, official highway sign on the motorway for the airport that does not have the 'i' on the end--guess the maker of that sign had some sense.   My biggest pet peeve is Thailand needs to set the official spelling for important things like roads, cities, etc.  I've seen Pratamnak spelled half a dozen or more different ways on street signs. Also seen Sri Racha spelled Si Racha on official signs.  Jomtien and Chom Tien.  Koh Samed and Koh Samet.  And Koh spelled Ko.  I don't care how they are spelled--just pick one and be consistent!

There are many incorrect signs around Pattaya. Some of my favs are

Bar Ber (they mean Barber)

Laun Dry (they mean Laundry)

but my favorite signage is some that said somewhere was 1 km away turning right. I turn right and am greeted with another sign that says the place is now 2 kms away.

The mayor does not need to fix that sign. Pattaya's image will not change if he does. Fix the horrendous traffic problems caused by the large tourist buses, make the pedestrian controlled crossings work, give the tourists a sidewalk to walk on. etc are far more important.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Laun Dry (they mean Laundry)

My fave w/ that word is a prominent sign outside a shop years ago on Soi 17. One side was spelled correctly, "Laundry." The other side had "Lanudry." Always wondered how that happened, which side came first etc. Ah well, "a foolish consistency" and all that. I always liked the sign in front of a beauty shop years ago, too, on Soi Post Office: COMPLEXION ERODED.

3 hours ago, aonangkrabi said:

The i is not pronounced as is clear from the Thai spelling. A reasonable transcription would be "Suwanaphum" though English speakers may prefer "Soowanapoom".

Or the more easily pronounced  "Swampy"? :whistling: