IRIS Scan - Visa Overstay

Help...I have overstayed my Visa by 7 months.......I need to leave Thailand for one week and then come back in again. I thought about getting a new british passport and coming back in on that , but I have been told that they Scan your IRIS at the Airport and it will show up and link the new passport to the old one showing that I overstayed ? is this true or is it BS....I am prepared to pay the Visa over stay fine I just dont want to get banned for 1 year...any ideas please and what is the best thing to do

There is no iris scan involved to link the passports. When you enter the country with a new passport your history using the old passport will be linked to the new one.

With a overstay of over 90 days you will be banned from entering the country for a year. If you get caught before leaving you will be banned for 5 years. Rule are here: New overstay rules.pdf

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jamesw383 said:

..I am prepared to pay the Visa over stay fine I just dont want to get banned for 1 year..

With an overstay of 7 months a ban is mandated and will be very difficult to avoid. 

You should abdon ideas of returning anytime soon -- Attempting to do so may result in  you being charged with attempting illegal entry.

Hi ubonjoe..........Thank you for your prompt reply........................maybe I am a bit thick.but how does the computer at immigration link the old passport with the new one....is it done by somehow scanning in the photograph and they comparing with what they have on their database.

Thank you Perth Person for your reply it makes sense..so I guess when they scan the New passport it reads the information  and compares it with what they have in the computer..........sounds to me like there is no reason to get a new passport there is no benefit.....I only have myself to blame......I am told though that there are certain Visa Agents that can fix the problem if one greases palms ?

Just now, Jamesw383 said:

.I am told though that there are certain Visa Agents that can fix the problem if one greases palms ?

I have no knowledge about fraudulent or  other potentially illegal "solutions" and I doubt such discussion will be permitted here. 

OP there are a lot of "open hands" here in Thailand among the "takers" who is thai people... So I think you get a better idea about the "reality", if you stick to PM;s and private talks outside this forum.

Glegolo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

OP there are a lot of "open hands" here in Thailand among the "takers" who is thai people... So I think you get a better idea about the "reality", if you stick to PM;s and private talks outside this forum.

Glegolo

Here's a tale of someone who availed himself of such helping hands. I doubt he received a refund. Of course, maybe the O/P will be luckier compounding one illegal act with a second one.

A Latvian tourist was arrested on Saturday around midday at the First Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge border immigration checkpoint in Nong Khai’s Muang district for using fake exit and entry visa stamps.

Valentins Sevecs, 26, was arrested while leaving the Kingdom for Laos.

Immigration police said he entered Thailand on April 27th for the first time and later hired a firm in Pattaya to obtain a “re-entry visa” on June 25th but claimed he did not know that both the exit and re-entry visa stamps on his passport were fake.

He will be held in detention until he processed and fined before being deported to his country of origin.

Op there seems you have got yourself into a right predicament which i would doubt will end in any way good for you. You state you need to come back to Thailand after a week for reasons only known to you. You could of course if married/living together.  go  back to Cambodia  for a year with her after you clear your overstay here returning to your home country. Then go back to Cambodia.meet up there.

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

International airlines are now required to provide immigration with Advanced Passenger Information (API) before flight departure.  This info is checked against the immigration database and if you have a ‘marker’ against you the airline will be advised not to accept you for travel.

If you do manage to get through the API check as soon as you present your passport to the IO at a point of entry it is put onto a scanner which checks a number of things.  One thing is that the scanner reads the code at the bottom of the main page (with your photo on it) and compares it with their database.  If you have a close look at the code it is easy to work out.

P = Passport

<XXXFamilyName<  ( where XXX = Country Code)

<Given names<<<<<

<Passport numberZ< (where Z is a check number)

<XXX<  (Country Code)

<Date of birth  (YYMMDDZ where Z = a check number)

M or F (Sex)

Date of expiry of passport  (YYMMDDZ where Z =a  check number)

The only thing that will change when you present a new passport is your passport number, the system will match all the other info then show your photo and previous history.  Even if you change your family and given names the system is still able to throw up photos of people who have the same country code + sex + date of birth.  Remember, if you are refused entry because of a ban, then you will have to fund your flight out of Thailand.

Whilst I do understand that many countries require APIS I am not aware that Thailand does, at this time, require it. Most refusals at the check in desk are based on the airline database of requirements (i.e. Ticket out of the country within the stated duration of stay) but not APIS. If it were when how do all the criminals and kiddie fiddlers get in? it would be so easy for the courts to add a block to their APIS info.

1 hour ago, tolsti said:

Whilst I do understand that many countries require APIS I am not aware that Thailand does, at this time, require it. Most refusals at the check in desk are based on the airline database of requirements (i.e. Ticket out of the country within the stated duration of stay) but not APIS. If it were when how do all the criminals and kiddie fiddlers get in? it would be so easy for the courts to add a block to their APIS info.

FYI....   API came into effect in Thailand in December 2015.  The airlines are only required to provide passenger passport details (Name, Gender, Date of Birth, Nationality, Country of Residence, Travel Document Type/Number/Expiry Date) before flight’s departure.  The airlines do not have access to any passenger’s criminal history.

Upon receiving the API from the airlines, immigration run the data through their systems to check if any of the passengers are known to them.  If a passenger is banned from entering Thailand for any reason then immigration will notify the airline not to accept the passenger for travel.

Disclosure of a passenger’s criminal history is very much dependent upon the law enforcement agency of the country of origin of the passenger.  In most cases such information is only shared in exceptional cases or when Interpol issues an international arrest warrant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hockley said:

To clear up the eye scan query, airports and border check points have installed or are installing eye scanners but for now it is only available for those holding a Thai passport. 

FYI….  In October 2015 RTP announced that they were going to introduce facial recognition systems at all boarder checkpoints in order to speed up the immigration screening process.  They have also indicated that they propose to introduce fingerprinting.

I think what you’re talking about is in fact facial recognition systems, not an iris scanning systems.  Most modern passports now incorporate biometric chips which contain the image of the passport holder.  The biometric image can then be used by a facial recognition system to compare with the person in front of the camera which in turn can be linked to automatic gates.  These have been introduced at swampy for Thai nationals only at the moment.

In order for an iris scanning system to function, the person must first have their iris data registered in the system.  The system is then able to compare a person’s iris in front of the scanner with the those contained in its database.  Iris scanning was introduced at several UK airports in late 2004 but they were subsequently withdrawn a few years latter due to poor reliability and constant problems encountered by travelers trying to get their eyes properly aligned with the camera.  May people found it quicker to join the queues and get their passport checked by an IO.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mstevens said:

But 7 months overstay is taking the piss and shows you have zero respect for immigration laws.

As we have no idea why he has overstayed any presumptions are purley speculation. Theres very few on here that have a lot if any respect for Thai immigration laws but most bite the bullet and follow them.

7 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I agree, i am afraid there are too many grumps here 

however this is becoming a regular occurrence  now and in most cases is just down to plain stupidity without thinking of the consequences of their actions until it is too late

I hope other people read these stories and learn before it is too late for them.

Overstay because it SEEMS the only option is not an option, it will come back to bite you in the ass

I could see there may be a few good overpowering reasons to overstay. None of us know whats around the corner in life. We all have plans for this that and the other. But the best laid plans can often melt away when a crisis happens. All who would overstay would know the consequences of there actions. I know one thing if i was to overstay the last thing i would do is post about it on here. Maybev3 to 4 posts offering help and the rest offering nothing. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

There are ??

I cannot think of one legit excuse for breaking the law.

Cant you well i can. What you class as legit maybe a  completley diffrent view to others we can all in our minds justify anything we do right or wrong

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

But the best laid plans can often melt away when a crisis happens. All who would overstay would know the consequences of there actions.

So do people that drink and drive but they still do it until they run some one over. people get into financial crisis without seeking help and get homes repossessed the list could go on and on. Not all but in most cases naivety and stupidity. I wish the op all the best in his endevours 

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

3 to 4 posts offering help and the rest offering nothing. 

Not sure what point your trying to make, it would be nice if we all could offer advice, However you are one of the rest offering nothing

• Like 1