UK PM May shed a 'little tear' over election failure

snoop1130

UK PM May shed a 'little tear' over election failure

2017-07-13T103253Z_1_LYNXMPED6C0OC_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU-MAY.JPG

British Prime Minister Theresa May arrives at the EU summit in Brussels, Belgium, June 22, 2017. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May said she cried a "little tear" when an exit poll revealed she had failed to win an overall majority in a June 8 snap election.

May told BBC radio she felt "devastated" when the results came in, revealing she had lost her parliamentary majority, despite her call on Britons to give her a strong mandate to negotiate Britain's exit from the European Union.

May said her campaign was not "perfect", but said she expected that her party would increase its majority.

The prime minister said her husband Philip told her the result of the exit poll and gave her a hug to console her.

"When the result came through it was complete shock," May said. "It took a few minutes for it to sink in what it was telling me."

May faced calls to quit from inside and outside her ruling Conservative Party after losing its majority in an election she did not need to call and which plunged Britain into the worst political instability for decades.

"When it came to the actual result there were a lot of people within the party who had been very close to the campaign who were genuinely shocked by the result as it came through," she said.

May said she had not considered stepping down and declined to say how much longer she would remain in power.

"I still see there is a lot that we need to do, and as prime minister I want to get on with that job of changing people's lives for the better," she said.

(Reporting by Andrew MacAskill. Editing by Guy Faulconbridge and Alistair Smout, Ralph Boulton)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-7-13

19 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Such a sensative Woman

Arrogant <deleted> who thought she (and her advisors) could ignore the electorate and the electorate's concerns.

First daft Dave the self made son of a very very wealthy family who sent him to Britain's most expensive public school, shot himself in the foot through arrogance and not being smart enough to cover all the bases.

Then is successor, who backed him till he lost, then grabbed the job, shoots herself in the foot through sheer arrogance and being too lazy or incompetent to debate and campaign properly.

And this is the party that talks about strong, consistent leadership and management. Right ho!

Er, well there is some consistency there.........................

..........yuckkkkkkkkkkkkk......

...face.....yuckkkkkkkkkkkk.....

...voice.....yuckkkkkkkkkkkk....

...speech content....yuckkkkkkkkkk......

...'a human being'.....yuckkkkkkkkk....

43 minutes ago, nontabury said:

She should not have issued that manifesto during the recent election. Then she would have received 150 seat majority. 

Doubt that.  The problems with May are far deeper than the manifesto although I do concede that the manifesto was one of the more stupid things she did.  I think a large part of downfall was due to the way that she approached Brexit.  If you were for or against it was obvious that she and her "team" were useless and hadn't got a clue about negotiating a successful divorce.  

55 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

We are all crying now Theresa and in most cases you are the cause!  By the way how is the great repeal bill going?  You just decided to copy and paste all the EU laws into English law then?  Good luck with that.

Copy & paste the EU laws to English laws ? I could not believe that when I heard it on the news . What's the point of a referendum when 3 million EU workers can stay in the UK  against 1 million UK to stay in the EU . Then  retain the EU laws ? what is the next concession ? The public were not voting for that . Going to end in tears for TM  

Will not get through the House of Commons , too much opposition and the tories seem to be inviting trouble .

Teresa May ( steamy era anagram ) to see the year out , I do not think so .  I feel that there is a conflict of interest within some of the tory party and much of it to benefit top of the tree business bosses .

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Arrogant <deleted> who thought she (and her advisors) could ignore the electorate and the electorate's concerns.

First daft Dave the self made son of a very very wealthy family who sent him to Britain's most expensive public school, shot himself in the foot through arrogance and not being smart enough to cover all the bases.

Then is successor, who backed him till he lost, then grabbed the job, shoots herself in the foot through sheer arrogance and being too lazy or incompetent to debate and campaign properly.

And this is the party that talks about strong, consistent leadership and management. Right ho!

Yes agree entirely. Was taking the P

12 minutes ago, superal said:

Copy & paste the EU laws to English laws ? I could not believe that when I heard it on the news . What's the point of a referendum when 3 million EU workers can stay in the UK  against 1 million UK to stay in the EU . Then  retain the EU laws ? what is the next concession ? The public were not voting for that . Going to end in tears for TM  

Will not get through the House of Commons , too much opposition and the tories seem to be inviting trouble .

Teresa May ( steamy era anagram ) to see the year out , I do not think so .  I feel that there is a conflict of interest within some of the tory party and much of it to benefit top of the tree business bosses .

Davis has conceded that the UK will continue to pay into the EU after Brexit until at least 2021.  Also he accepts that the UK does have to meet their financial commitments to the EU if there is any chance of negotiating any realistic deals.  Certainly a slap down for Boris following his stupid comments about whistling.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Davis has conceded that the UK will continue to pay into the EU after Brexit until at least 2021.  Also he accepts that the UK does have to meet their financial commitments to the EU if there is any chance of negotiating any realistic deals.  Certainly a slap down for Boris following his stupid comments about whistling.

Yep, the British poodle will have to learn how to sit, and the EU is it's master !

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You may have missed the fact though, that despite all you say, the British electorate still chose the Tories and the current P.M. over the Labour party.  If you are right in your contention that she ignored the electorate, the electorate clearly did not ignore her and the Tories as they simply gave her a smaller majority over the next major parties.  This speaks volumes about the opposition.

I guess you believe that Jeremy Corbyn has all the answers and could come up with a competent and believable Brexit team to conduct the negotiations?   He appears to be a nice man, but I am glad that he and his advisers will not be in charge, not only of the Brexit negotiations, but also of the UK itself.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, dunroaming said:

By the way how is the great repeal bill going?  You just decided to copy and paste all the EU laws into English law then?  Good luck with that.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, superal said:

Copy & paste the EU laws to English laws ? I could not believe that when I heard it on the news . What's the point of a referendum when 3 million EU workers can stay in the UK  against 1 million UK to stay in the EU . Then  retain the EU laws ?

Rather parochial of you both. English law? No, UK law.

There is a logical and reasonable reason for retaining the EU laws, at least temporarily until suitable replacement laws can be enacted; from What is the Great Repeal Bill? (published by the independent thing tank, the Institute for Government)

If the UK is leaving the EU, why is it keeping laws made by the EU?

EU law covers areas such as environmental regulation, workers’ rights, and the regulation of financial services. Without the bill, when the UK leaves the EU, all these rules and regulations would no longer have legal standing in the UK, creating a ‘black hole’ in the UK statute book and leading to uncertainty and confusion. By carrying EU laws over into UK law, the Government plans to provide for what David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the EU, calls ‘a calm and orderly exit’ from the EU, while giving the Government and Parliament time to review, amend or scrap these laws in future.

The purpose of the bill is to provide certainty and continuity, ensuring the same rules and laws apply immediately after exit wherever possible and supporting a smooth transition. 

Perhaps you'd prefer a sudden, immediate scrapping of the European Communities Act 1972. and all subsequent laws brought in as a result of EU membership?

Would that include the legislation to protect workers' rights brought in as a direct result of the UK's membership of the EU?

See the TUC's paper UK employment rights and the EU.

If that's too long for you, see Brexit: 10 ways the EU protects British workers' rights.

Do you really want to see those rights, together with the environmental protection, financial regulation etc. arising from our EU membership, swept away without any thought as to what will replace them?

BTW, most EU nationals in the UK are working and paying tax, most  UK nationals in the EU are elderly and retired. Who is the greater strain on their host country's economy?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

BTW, most EU nationals in the UK are working and paying tax, most  UK nationals in the EU are elderly and retired. Who is the greater strain on their host country's economy?

And how many British citizens are resident in the EU? And how many EU citizens are resident in the U.K. 

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Rather parochial of you both. English law? No, UK law.

There is a logical and reasonable reason for retaining the EU laws, at least temporarily until suitable replacement laws can be enacted; from What is the Great Repeal Bill? (published by the independent thing tank, the Institute for Government)

Perhaps you'd prefer a sudden, immediate scrapping of the European Communities Act 1972. and all subsequent laws brought in as a result of EU membership?

Would that include the legislation to protect workers' rights brought in as a direct result of the UK's membership of the EU?

See the TUC's paper UK employment rights and the EU.

If that's too long for you, see Brexit: 10 ways the EU protects British workers' rights.

Do you really want to see those rights, together with the environmental protection, financial regulation etc. arising from our EU membership, swept away without any thought as to what will replace them?

Why do you think that the majority voted to leave the EC ?  Well let me tell you , the voters were fed up with the bureaucracy dished out by the EU who are all but governing the UK with up to 65% of the UK legislation comes from Brussels . Free movement of labour is a major factor because many a Brit who had once been earning a reasonable wage was seeing their job been taken by a eastern european at a fraction of the normal wage and all to the benefit of the business bosses . The culture of the UK has changed to the extent that the English language is no longer the common one in many schools . Some towns e.g. Peterborough , Boston( Bostonia ) 

etc are heavily populated with eastern europeans who work for less than the minimum wage and are not making a contribution to the UK economy , despite what TM says . Last year 134,000 British emigrated , including many skilled workers creating a shortage which will be filled by the cheap foreign labour   

Having said all that the Brexit vote was pretty much a black and white one , leave or stay with most voters not understanding what would follow in terms of negotiations . The Brexit team could well take a hiding as the EU will make an example of what happens to a departing country . The next 2 weeks are vital as the EU will not talk about trade deals until the big exit bill is agreed . I forecast that TM will be out of a job by hook or by crook  this year and will probably emigrate , sinking ship scenario .    

10 hours ago, pegman said:

Good information. And I noticed that the figure for British pensioners living in the EU is less than 25% of the total. Surprise,surprise these figures don't seem to be too prominent in the Remoaners propaganda.

3 hours ago, superal said:

Why do you think that the majority voted to leave the EC ?  Well let me tell you , the voters were fed up with the bureaucracy dished out by the EU who are all but governing the UK with up to 65% of the UK legislation comes from Brussels . Free movement of labour is a major factor because many a Brit who had once been earning a reasonable wage was seeing their job been taken by a eastern european at a fraction of the normal wage and all to the benefit of the business bosses . The culture of the UK has changed to the extent that the English language is no longer the common one in many schools . Some towns e.g. Peterborough , Boston( Bostonia ) 

etc are heavily populated with eastern europeans who work for less than the minimum wage and are not making a contribution to the UK economy , despite what TM says . Last year 134,000 British emigrated , including many skilled workers creating a shortage which will be filled by the cheap foreign labour   

Having said all that the Brexit vote was pretty much a black and white one , leave or stay with most voters not understanding what would follow in terms of negotiations . The Brexit team could well take a hiding as the EU will make an example of what happens to a departing country . The next 2 weeks are vital as the EU will not talk about trade deals until the big exit bill is agreed . I forecast that TM will be out of a job by hook or by crook  this year and will probably emigrate , sinking ship scenario .    

"Free movement of labour is a major factor because many a Brit who had once been earning a reasonable wage was seeing their job been taken by a eastern european at a fraction of the normal wage and all to the benefit of the business bosses."

Which is precisely why I seriously dislike the open borders policy.  Its not only the lowest paid that have been affected, as its been yet another reason to keep all ordinary/average salaries low - salary differentials/pricing oneself out of a job etc.

This doesn't apply for those at the top of course, as different 'rules' apply...... Their salaries/bonuses continue to substantially increase.

55 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Good information. And I noticed that the figure for British pensioners living in the EU is less than 25% of the total. Surprise,surprise these figures don't seem to be too prominent in the Remoaners propaganda.

Quite apart from which, the Brit. pensioners are bringing money into the EU country to which they've retired/are paying tax on purchases and (I think I'm correct in saying?), the UK repays the cost of any medical care.

9 hours ago, superal said:

Why do you think that the majority voted to leave the EC ?  Well let me tell you , the voters were fed up with the bureaucracy dished out by the EU who are all but governing the UK with up to 65% of the UK legislation comes from Brussels

.So you are fed up with the EU legislation which protects workers rights? The TUC aren't!

As for your 65% figure; that is open to interpretation depending on how one calculates it; though obviously the Brexiteers don't want you to know that and just quote the highest figure they can justify; like the £350 million a week lie!

How much of our law is made in Brussels?

If we take EU regulations and directives into account, then yes, it does start to look as if up to 65 per cent of our legislation comes from Brussels. But this figure is based on counting every law passed by the European Commission between 1993 and 2014: all 49,699 of them. Plenty of these have been dropped, replaced or rendered redundant. It is thought the total number of EU laws in force is less than half that figure (22,398, according to March 2015 reports). And many of these – measuring the pungency of olive oil, tobacco growing guidelines – are not relevant to British farmers or manufacturers

You raise other points in your post, some rational, I agree that many British workers have been hit hard by EEA migrants willing to work for a lower wage; but blame the employers for that, not the EU. Workers from one part of the UK have historically moved to another to find work and been willing to work for lower wages than the locals.

I see you have ignored my question "Do you really want to see those rights, together with the environmental protection, financial regulation etc. arising from our EU membership, swept away without any thought as to what will replace them?"

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Quite apart from which, the Brit. pensioners are bringing money into the EU country to which they've retired/are paying tax on purchases

As the majority of EEA nationals in the UK are working, they not only also pay VAT, they are pay income tax and NICs as well!

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

and (I think I'm correct in saying?), the UK repays the cost of any medical care.

Using healthcare when living in another EU country

When you move to another EU country

you can get healthcare under the same conditions as other local residents. Which country's health care system ultimately pays for your medical treatment will depend on your specific situation – it will usually be your new home country, if you have moved there to work, for example.

I have never said that the EU is perfect, never said it is not in need of reform. But what I have always said, and still wholeheartedly believe, is that the UK would be better off in than out.

But the British people voted for out, a decision which, as a democrat, I accept; just as May and her government have. 

You Brexiteers won, yet you are still banging on and on about the perceived 'evils' of EU membership! I have to wonder who you are trying to convince; yourselves perhaps?

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

.So you are fed up with the EU legislation which protects workers rights? The TUC aren't!

As for your 65% figure; that is open to interpretation depending on how one calculates it; though obviously the Brexiteers don't want you to know that and just quote the highest figure they can justify; like the £350 million a week lie!

How much of our law is made in Brussels?

You raise other points in your post, some rational, I agree that many British workers have been hit hard by EEA migrants willing to work for a lower wage; but blame the employers for that, not the EU. Workers from one part of the UK have historically moved to another to find work and been willing to work for lower wages than the locals.

I see you have ignored my question "Do you really want to see those rights, together with the environmental protection, financial regulation etc. arising from our EU membership, swept away without any thought as to what will replace them?"

As the majority of EEA nationals in the UK are working, they not only also pay VAT, they are pay income tax and NICs as well!

Using healthcare when living in another EU country

I have never said that the EU is perfect, never said it is not in need of reform. But what I have always said, and still wholeheartedly believe, is that the UK would be better off in than out.

But the British people voted for out, a decision which, as a democrat, I accept; just as May and her government have. 

You Brexiteers won, yet you are still banging on and on about the perceived 'evils' of EU membership! I have to wonder who you are trying to convince; yourselves perhaps?

Question , do you live in the UK? Despite your criticisms of my thoughts I have to say that if there was to be another vote on the Brexit I think it could go the other way as the voters were never really given the full facts , inasmuch that the uk government Brexit team are making deals and concessions under a free licence without formal endorsements .  You say ,

What should have been stated was " A review of the enforced EU laws and legislation  will be carried out with regards to the suitability of the UK .   You say 

I really think that you are naive and you should not believe everything that TH states .   Fact -- the vast majority of eastern europeans live in crowded accommodation often " hot bedding it " through shift work , are under control of a fellow countryman agent who manipulates the paperwork to show that the minimal wage is being paid . A UK worker is too expensive , even when on the minimum wage . The only contribution the foreign workers are making is a negative one by exacerbating the NHS  &  education problems . 

Come back Enoch or Farage . Tiss nothing less than a carnival under the current tory government  and I forecast that negotiations will collapse .   

20 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Try to be positive,it was not about the Brexiteers winning. It was about the British people winning. And thankfully they have, unless of course the political establishment, turn the tables on the electorate,as they did with the Dutch,French and the Irish republic.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Try to be positive,it was not about the Brexiteers winning. It was about the British people winning. And thankfully they have, unless of course the political establishment, turn the tables on the electorate,as they did with the Dutch,French and the Irish republic.

Kinda got the feeling that is happening . What ever deal is agreed the public will have to accept it ?

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, superal said:

Question , do you live in the UK?

Yes; do you?

Despite your criticisms of my thoughts I have to say that if there was to be another vote on the Brexit I think it could go the other way as the voters were never really given the full facts ,

I agree that voters were not given the full facts. The Leave campaign fed the ignorance of and prejudice against the EU of a significant proportion of voters. Ignorance and prejudice which, to their shame, the Remain campaign did little to counter.

inasmuch that the uk government Brexit team are making deals and concessions under a free licence without formal endorsements

The government are entering into negotiations. In any negotiations each side has a starting position and then during the course of the negotiations make concessions to the other side until an agreement is reached.

No deal has yet been made, and wont be until the negotiations are complete. That deal will then be put to Parliament for it's approval; just like any other international treaty or agreement the UK enters into. Parliament and the Brexit deal

What has the Government already promised?

When the exit bill was being debated in the House of Commons, David Jones, Minister of State in the Department for Exiting the European Union at the time, confirmed that the Government had “made a commitment to a vote at the end of the procedure.”

The Minister outlined a number of important features of that vote. He said the Government intends that: 

• A single vote will cover both the withdrawal arrangement and the UK’s future relationship with the EU.
  • The vote will take the form of a motion before both Houses of Parliament.
  • The vote will take place before the European Parliament debates and votes on the final agreement. (It is not clear what this agreement is, but under EU law the European Parliament must authorise both the withdrawal arrangement under Article 50, and any Free Trade Agreement.)
  • The vote will be either to take the agreement on the table, or to walk away with no agreement at all.

The Government’s commitment, therefore, packages up all three votes into one compound vote. Under the Government’s terms, a “yes” vote is a vote for both the exit deal and the new deal, and “no” vote is a vote for no deal.

You say ,

What should have been stated was " A review of the enforced EU laws and legislation  will be carried out with regards to the suitability of the UK .

You have ignored the question, again.

I suggest that you reread The Repeal Bill, which I linked to before; especially

By carrying EU laws over into UK law, the Government plans to provide for what David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the EU, calls ‘a calm and orderly exit’ from the EU, while giving the Government and Parliament time to review, amend or scrap these laws in future. (7by7 emphasis)

The purpose of the bill is to provide certainty and continuity, ensuring the same rules and laws apply immediately after exit wherever possible and supporting a smooth transition

You say 

I really think that you are naive and you should not believe everything that TH states .   Fact -- the vast majority of eastern europeans live in crowded accommodation often " hot bedding it " through shift work , are under control of a fellow countryman agent who manipulates the paperwork to show that the minimal wage is being paid . A UK worker is too expensive , even when on the minimum wage . The only contribution the foreign workers are making is a negative one by exacerbating the NHS  &  education problems . 

You evidence for all of this being? Proper evidence, not Farage and his ilk's misinformation.

Even the anti EU Migration Watch accept that 2.1 million of the EU nationals in the UK are working. To be included in that figure, which comes from the ONS, these people need to be working legally. That still, of course, leaves a million or so who aren't working. Some will be unemployed jobseekers (who have to leave after three months if they haven't got a job or the prospect of obtaining one within a reasonable period) but most are the family members of workers, students, or retired and living off independent means.

Maybe some EU workers do 'hot bed.' No different, really, from the many British workers in the building trade who worked in Germany in the 1980s; or the Irish workers in the UK from well before both countries joined what was then the EEC. (BTW, the Irish are the second largest group behind Polish of EU nationals living in the UK. How do you feel about them?)

Even those people who are living in crowded bedsits, even those hot bedding, are still paying tax and NICs.

OK, there are some migrants, both from the EU and elsewhere, who are controlled by gang masters, especially in the agricultural industry, and paid cash in hand below the minimum wage; but these are in the minority.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Yes; do you?

I agree that voters were not given the full facts. The Leave campaign fed the ignorance of and prejudice against the EU of a significant proportion of voters. Ignorance and prejudice which, to their shame, the Remain campaign did little to counter.

The government are entering into negotiations. In any negotiations each side has a starting position and then during the course of the negotiations make concessions to the other side until an agreement is reached.

No deal has yet been made, and wont be until the negotiations are complete. That deal will then be put to Parliament for it's approval; just like any other international treaty or agreement the UK enters into. Parliament and the Brexit deal

You have ignored the question, again.

I suggest that you reread The Repeal Bill, which I linked to before; especially

You evidence for all of this being? Proper evidence, not Farage and his ilk's misinformation.

Even the anti EU Migration Watch accept that 2.1 million of the EU nationals in the UK are working. To be included in that figure, which comes from the ONS, these people need to be working legally. That still, of course, leaves a million or so who aren't working. Some will be unemployed jobseekers (who have to leave after three months if they haven't got a job or the prospect of obtaining one within a reasonable period) but most are the family members of workers, students, or retired and living off independent means.

Maybe some EU workers do 'hot bed.' No different, really, from the many British workers in the building trade who worked in Germany in the 1980s; or the Irish workers in the UK from well before both countries joined what was then the EEC. (BTW, the Irish are the second largest group behind Polish of EU nationals living in the UK. How do you feel about them?)

Even those people who are living in crowded bedsits, even those hot bedding, are still paying tax and NICs.

OK, there are some migrants, both from the EU and elsewhere, who are controlled by gang masters, especially in the agricultural industry, and paid cash in hand below the minimum wage; but these are in the minority.

I do not think for one moment that you could stand up and debate the Brexit case with Farage , you would crumble in an instant . He is factually correct in all he states with regards to the EC bureaucracy and is respected or feared because of his knowledge and long association with the EC / Brussels .

You obviously do not hold in high regard the culture and customs of the UK which are being diluted year upon year because of the want of the big boys for globalisation . Cheap competitive labour to maximise corporate profits is happening now and the public   are waking up to it but maybe a case of the horse & the stable door .

I did not ignore your question , please you reread , it is a case of cut , paste & review to the suitability of the UK .  

3 hours ago, superal said:

I do not think for one moment that you could stand up and debate the Brexit case with Farage , you would crumble in an instant . He is factually correct in all he states with regards to the EC bureaucracy and is respected or feared because of his knowledge and long association with the EC / Brussels .

You obviously do not hold in high regard the culture and customs of the UK which are being diluted year upon year because of the want of the big boys for globalisation . Cheap competitive labour to maximise corporate profits is happening now and the public   are waking up to it but maybe a case of the horse & the stable door .

I did not ignore your question , please you reread , it is a case of cut , paste & review to the suitability of the UK .  

Whatever you may think of my debating abilities versus those of Farage, I have successfully countered every point you have raised and used factual evidence to back up my arguments.

Instead of making any attempt to do the same,  you have resorted to the above post.

Farage; a man who is against the EU freedom of movement directive, yet used the directive so his German wife could move to the UK without having to go through the lengthy and expensive visa and LTR process my wife, and the partners of many members of this forum, had to go through.

Farage; a man who rails against EU migrants taking British jobs, but employed a German as his secretary in the UK.

Farage; a man who continues to draw his European parliamentary salary, even though he has rarely attended since the referendum, and will continue to do so until full Brexit so that he can draw the maximum possible MEP's pension; UKIP’s dilemma: Pension or principles?

Who's going to pay for his, and the other British MEPs', pensions after Brexit? I bet it wont be Brussels!

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Whatever you may think of my debating abilities versus those of Farage, I have successfully countered every point you have raised and used factual evidence to back up my arguments.

Instead of making any attempt to do the same,  you have resorted to the above post.

Farage; a man who is against the EU freedom of movement directive, yet used the directive so his German wife could move to the UK without having to go through the lengthy and expensive visa and LTR process my wife, and the partners of many members of this forum, had to go through.

Farage; a man who rails against EU migrants taking British jobs, but employed a German as his secretary in the UK.

Farage; a man who continues to draw his European parliamentary salary, even though he has rarely attended since the referendum, and will continue to do so until full Brexit so that he can draw the maximum possible MEP's pension; UKIP’s dilemma: Pension or principles?

Who's going to pay for his, and the other British MEPs', pensions after Brexit? I bet it wont be Brussels!

So I take it you are not a Farage supporter . You really are nit picking over his personal business . Farage has a lengthy term of office and fully deserves his pension. Like him or loathe him he has made his mark in history , has a huge following as a MEP / broadcaster / general speaker and is not finished yet , waiting in the side wings to peruse the Brexit deal .

I do not have to delve into factual evidence , as you seem to do , to prove my opinions , mine is well known to the populus and secondly I have other more important daily matters to attend to , so time is a factor . Nevertheless I wish you well with your TV discussions .

5 hours ago, superal said:

So I take it you are not a Farage supporter . You really are nit picking over his personal business .

He is a public figure through his own choice. His personal business and actions are relevant when he demonstrably acts in his personal life against his publicly voiced opinions on what is 'right' for everyone else. Some may go as far as to call him a hypocrite.

As he is so concerned about the amount of money the UK sends to the EU, as he has said that money should be spent on the NHS or other services in the UK; I wonder why he doesn't donate some of his massive MEP salary and expenses to a health charity in the UK.

After all, it seems he and his fellows have been claiming more expenses than they're actually entitled to: Nigel Farage among Ukip MEPs accused of misusing EU funds.

5 hours ago, superal said:

I do not have to delve into factual evidence , as you seem to do , to prove my opinions , mine is well known to the populous

Your opinions may very well be 'well known to the populous' and even shared by many; hence the result last June.

But opinions are not facts. That you are unwilling to check if the facts support your opinions speaks volumes.

Is it your opinion that the multitudinous myths about the EU, such as the banning of home coffee machines, the banning of UK car number plates, the banning of curved bananas and cucumbers etc., etc. are true? If so, you are wrong. (Easy to check; put 'EU myths debunked' into the search engine of your choice.)

You have very right to hold and express your opinion; but if you want it to stand up to scrutiny in a debate you need to be able to back it up with some facts.

Edited by 7by7