Expats -- what do you eat for brekkie in Thailand (be specific!)

Jingthing

It's well documented for some weird reason that humans tend to fall into predictable, repetitive patterns for their BREAKFAST foods more than any other meal of the day.

For some people, it's an EXTREME thing. Like oatmeal with soy milk everyday of the year. I think most people are not that rigid, but still repetitive patterns are very common. 

So we're here in Thailand so the foods available (and more affordable) are going to be different than in our home countries.

So, with this thread, I'm inviting people to share with as much anal DETAIL as possible what they eat for breakfast in Thailand. At home, or out.

I have a routine now for some years, and it is very specific, and I think quite eccentric. But I will hold off on posting the details until later. 

In other words, you show me yours, I'll show you mine! 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quakers Oats most mornings, made with milk and sometimes topped with fresh fruit like Bananas.

Other days:

White thick sliced Toast and Marmalade

Always with copious amounts of hot Tea.

Staying at a Hotel

Usually small bowl meusili followed by an Omellette, toast & Hot Tea.

Start the day first thing with a glass of hot water with lemon.....

Then brew a moka pot of coffee for the wife....

Sourdough toast every day....

Sometimes with eggs fried in coconut oil....Maybe twice a week....

Often with a veggie & tofu soup my wife makes.....

Sometimes a rice dish with spicy pork...Sometimes a rice veggie soup...

A big glass of non fat milk...Never drink coffee....Sometimes a small cup of green tea....

Some fresh fruit, right now the mango tree is keeping us busy...

Edited by pgrahmm

My breakfast normally is, scrambled egg on toast, and 1 slice of toast and marmalade.

Yes boring isnt it.:sleep:

Waiting for jingthing to come out with his surprise.

Probably tell us he has his breakfast naked, swinging from the overhead fan, eating grapes.:cheesy:

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My breakfast normally is, scrambled egg on toast, and 1 slice of toast and marmalade.

Probably tell us he has his breakfast naked, swinging from the overhead fan, eating grapes.:cheesy:

Boring? Perhaps, but there's only so many  things falangs eat for breakfast. For the Thais breakfast is no different than any other meal.

Edited by giddyup

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

They say that.

Whoever they are.

Probably cereal pushers. 

On the eccentric thing, I better watch out.

Rich people are eccentric. Poorer people doing the same thing ... crazy?!?

Not to worry. I don't think Thailand bothers with sectioning people ... :crazy:

Edited by Jingthing

Most mornings a bowl of oatmeal made with milk and a tablespoon of ground flax seed, a small plate of fruit and a hand full of either almonds or walnuts.      Some time I'll skip the oatmeal and have a glass of milk and toast  with the fruit etc.       

First drink is Milo and then I eat anything that's going,  so much to choose from l usually eat different breakfast every morning don't like a routine.

Someone on Thaivisa posted one time if you drink beer at 9 o/c in the morning it's time for you to go home,  so l now have a beer at 9.15. :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why eccentric?

I have always been told that alternation in your eating habits is the most healthy.

Do you have every day the same for dinner?

Oh - that's it - - - - - take a breakfast topic and drag dinner into it . :post-4641-1156693976:

You're messing with beer-o'clock now....

Edited by pgrahmm

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

Oh - that's it - - - - - take a breakfast topic and drag dinner into it . :post-4641-1156693976:

If you can't comprehend that my reference to dinner was to make my point about alternation in eating habits, I guess it's bedtime for you.

I can't believe there are so many healthy eaters on here.

I have home cured bacon, with tinned tomatoes and a fried egg all in a home baked bread roll. But that will last me untill my evening meal.

16 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

If you can't comprehend that my reference to dinner was to make my point about alternation in eating habits, I guess it's bedtime for you.

If you can't comprehend that I was poking a bit of fun at you it's really past your bedtime....

It's been a fun topic So far .... But, I'm sure someone will muck it up.....

Coffee and cigar for me but sister in law next door always insists gin khao I make an effort with last nights leftovers and politely give me leave and get back home to cigar and coffee. Me very expensive box of cornflakes lasts about 1 month as I am never given the chance to eat them. God I love them

Usually toast and butter (home made bread) with a couple of eggs (fried, poached or scrambled) or tinned tomatoes reduced down until the sauce is thick.

Occasionally, I substitute the bread with potato - microwaved in its skin until soft, then sliced and fried.

Yesterday and today it's been crumpets (home made) with butter and a bit of stilton.

I love breakfast. 

When I'm in Thailand (6 weeks out of the year): Jok when possible (if I'm out early enough and around a good place for it); otherwise, "khai pra aathit" (omelette with rice inside) or buttermilk pancakes (I make 'em from scratch) if I'm at my girlfriend's apartment, or the breakfast buffet at my regular hotel (a really good one--best I've found in SEAsia) if I'm there.  On the rare occasion I'm at a hotel in BKK that doesn't include breakfast, I treat myself to a "full English," usually at The Game on Sukhumvit near soi 7/1.  I'm from the US, so English Breakfast is an exotic novelty for me that I only ever eat in Thailand.

If I happen to be in Vientiane, I always have duck or pork belly "khao piak," a Lao noodle soup served with "pha tong ko" (Chinese fried dough, for dipping), at a favorite restaurant there, Namphu Coffee.

When I'm at home: Spam and scrambled eggs or bacon and scrambled eggs, usually; otherwise oatmeal or another hot cereal with soy milk.  Always a banana, too.

And always strong coffee!!

We always have a different choice on each day of the week between

Thai noodle soup

Typical English breakfast

Cereal with milk & fresh fruits

Toasted sandwich and fruit juice

Khao Tom with condiments

Salad rolls and hot soy milk

Stuffed pita bread & greek yoghurt

Etc etc

Breakfast is usually decided the night before as all of us leave for school and office very early. Saturdays (tomorrow) is usually a platter of rice gruel, steamed fish, stir fried mixed vegetables and fresh fruit. We have a cook but everyone shares in the work.

Edited by saakura

19 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Sometimes an icy cold can of beer. Its been proven recently that this IS the breakfast of champions. say good bye to stroke and heart attack and come join us ..

Alcohol for breakfast, umm.....Sure, you will not suffer sudden death by a stroke or heart attack, just a slow prolonged suffering from liver disease and eventual death. Same same.

25 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Sometimes an icy cold can of beer. Its been proven recently that this IS the breakfast of champions. say good bye to stroke and heart attack and come join us ..

3 minutes ago, saakura said:

Alcohol for breakfast, umm.....Sure, you will not suffer sudden death by a stroke or heart attack, just a slow prolonged suffering from liver disease and eventual death. Same same.

I heard that humour is the best medicine (but beer is a close runner-up).

1 minute ago, saakura said:

1 minute ago, saakura said:

read my post  SLOWLY then read yours. Your totally stressed about something you have no control over. Stress is a killer !!! good luck with controlling that!!!!!