Things you don't do in Thailand because you know better

canuckamuck

Marry a Thai citizen or make any serious investment. The country is a swamp full of crocodiles perfectly camouflaged for the existing environment. You're just another herd animal with unjustifiable pretensions. . Never kid yourself that you're a predator,  or even in control.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't...

Develop over expectations when it comes to services or purchases. Much better to be pleasantly surprised every now and then.

Assume everyone is clueless, uneducated or daft. Many are, but still.

Try to adjust to everything, perfectly alright to stick with some farang "peculiarities".

Be obsessed with following all local conventions and traditions, quite a leeway granted if not overdoing it.

Forget any other place got its own drawbacks.

Eat that thing!

Don't smack that bug! (palm just back to size from last night, little bugger had some mild toxic in it, apparently).

With the exception of Jumping off a balcony I tick just about all the boxes

Been a great experience over the years, I guess it will continue to be so..........

I am especially grateful for not having access to forums and the internet when I first visited Thailand many years ago........

Might just explain why I don't carry much of the negative vibes accumulated by so many 'experts', and why my experiences, while not all unique are certainly all my own.

Just to add prompted by the above never had to resort to any sort of confrontation

Edited by 473geo
Additional info

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Never assume you have "consumer rights" many things have no guarantee many have just 7 days !! 

Even if you get a guarantee dont assume it will actually mean anything when the time comes.

Considering our vacuum just broke after only 2 weeks ....

34 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Don't .... believe half the things you read on here as fact.  Most of the time its just opinions from bitter expats.

and  dont believe anything a  Thai tells  you that way at least youll get half  truths combining both

1.  dont for any reason get into a fight with a thai, walk away even if you are in the right .

2.  never take a smile as they like you or even being friendly to you,  see past " the thai smile "

3. never borrow money to a thai, you will never see it again. 

4. stop following my dream of owning a bar or business in thailand,    your doomed to failure from the start.

5. dont believe anyone farang or thai

6. never wear shorts or inappropriate dress in a bank or office

7. smile and keep walking with head down past ladyboys on nana

8. dont leave food out anywhere, rats everywhere

9. dont drink & drive in pattaya or isaan , roadblocks everywhere and you will be caught

10. dont go past the three day rule .

Never allow the family within koo-ee of your place, I mean the wife's place, even if they live in the same village, except for special occasions, and always say no, as they will respect you as being the cheap Charlie farang husband of their daughter who lives in "her big house" with a nice car, paid for by the cheap Charlie farang husband. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

29 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

get romantically involved with a thai girl, buy property start a business. broke 2 of these rules. anyone reading this should learn from my mistakes.

That could happen with any girl, anywhere in the world, I got involved with a Thai girl over 10 years ago, purchased land in her name, built a property, purchased a car and bike in her name and am very happy, if things go pair-shape, I see it as only investing as much as I am prepared to lose with plan B leaving me the other 90% which is overseas and cannot be accessed by anyone except me.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Never go to European style  restaurants: overpriced & poor imitation

Never use any restaurants or hotels that cannot be upfront with their prices, or use small print.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Insist on asking "why?" a store or other place doesn't have something, or a regulation/policy is what it is. The person you are asking almost certainly had nothing to do with the decision, no idea of the answer and will just make up something to placate you.

If you have disregarded the above -  never believe the stated reason. It was made up to avoid the person being asked having to say they didn't know.

And of you have ignored both of the above,  do not then start propogating the supposed reason as fact, that is how rumors start.

...and certainly don't post those rumors based on your own supposition on the forum, that is how long-winded threads start.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

get romantically involved with a thai girl, buy property start a business. broke 2 of these rules. anyone reading this should learn from my mistakes.

The first point requires too much self control for a normal male. You may think you've learned but just wait... You'll see.