Actor apologises for light-hearted post about rape, encourages campaigns against sexual crimes

webfact

Actor apologises for light-hearted post about rape, encourages campaigns against sexual crimes

By The Nation

7a7026c144984d778dc6147824cc486c.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- An actor has apologised to the public over an online post that, many people think, takes sexual crimes in a light-hearted way.

Pharunyoo Rojanawuttitham, the actor who portrays a gang-rapist in a TV series, was attacked for posting a picture of himself and several other actors with the message reading, “We are arrested for rape. If you are interested, you can choose any of us to rape you.” 

In the face of strong criticism, Pharunyoo removed the offending post, apologised, and explained that he just intended to promote the TV series “La” (Hunt). 

He said he did not mean to treat sexual crimes lightly. 

“In real life, in my personal opinion, I in fact even want to see rapists being sentenced to death,” he said. 

He has previously joined calls to increase the legal penalty against rapists. 

In one of his latest posts, Pharunyoo said he hoped his bad choices of words in the offending post sparked not just criticism but also serious, continued efforts to fight against sexual crimes. 

“I will be pleased to join the campaign against sexual violations. Please join forces,” the actor said. 

Before the apology came out, a psychiatrist vented her frustration on social media. |She said she personally liked Pharunyoo, a good-looking actor with bad-boy image, but could not tolerate his light-hearted comment about rape. 

“Rape victims in the series apparently feel even worse than they are in hell. That’s why one of them starts hunting down the culprits,” she emphasised. 

The series tells the story of a divorcee and her teenage girl who were gang-raped. The young victim has lost her mind following the attack. The mother, meanwhile, has embarked on a bloody mission to take revenge on all attackers.

This psychiatrist disclosed that more than 10 doctors and psychiatrists had provided counselling to the production team in the hope of sending a message across that no sexual crimes should take place. 

“You can’t treat rapes lightly. A rape hurts a woman much more than killing her,” she said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30320905

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-17

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pharunyoo Rojanawuttitham, the actor who portrays a gang-rapist in a TV series, was attacked for posting a picture of himself and several other actors with the message reading, “We are arrested for rape. If you are interested, you can choose any of us to rape you.” 

<deleted> moron.  

Any man who commits rape is the lowest of the low.

For an actor to make stupid comments about it is beyond belief.

This so-called man, probably made that comment just to get himself publicity.

He should be sacked and never allowed to act again, many people see actors as role models, and copy their actions.

Extremely dumb and arrogant. He clearly has no idea what rape really is and how serious it is. He's made it all about him. 

In this guy's little head, he thinks he's so good looking that all women want sex with him. Unfortunately, rape is taken less seriously in societies where women are taken less seriously. 

Edited by rkidlad

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Extremely dumb and arrogant. He clearly has no idea what rape really is and how serious it is. He's made it all about him. 

In this guy's little head, he thinks he's so good looking that all women want sex with him. Unfortunately, rape is taken less seriously in societies where women are taken less seriously. 

I'm not fluent in Thai, but it seems he was just joking.

Why does everybody want to "throw their toys out of the pram" when somebody cracks a joke?

My 84 year old Aunt recently saw Blazing Saddles for the first time & thought the part about rape was hilarious!

Edited by jaywalker

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Why does everybody want to "throw their toys out of the pram" when somebody cracks a joke?

My 84 year old Aunt recently saw Blazing Saddles for the first time & thought the part about rape was hilarious!

Jokes are about context. What's the point of a joke? Is it mocking the subject or is it merely meant to shock. 

This guy clearly thinks he's a good looking guy. He thinks the guys in the pic are also good looking. I'm sure his attitude is that only ugly can men rape. Good looking guys can have sex with any woman they want. "What? She said I raped her?" Look at me. I'm good looking" This attitude can influence in society, so when the police get involved, they're asking "You sure he raped you? He's so handsome".

Again, this stems from so many people not understanding what rape is and thinking that all girls are up for it, especially with handsome men. 

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

When rape/sexual assault so often leads to the victim falling in love with her rapist/attacker in Thai soaps small wonder attitudes like this come out.

Correct. Thai soaps......So far from real life scenarios they may as well be on the dark side of the moon. ( that is not to say soaps in other countries are any better !!! )

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Jokes are about context. What's the point of a joke? Is it mocking the subject or is it merely meant to shock. 

This guy clearly thinks he's a good looking guy. He thinks the guys in the pic are also good looking. I'm sure his attitude is that only ugly can men rape. Good looking guys can have sex with any woman they want. "What? She said I raped her?" Look at me. I'm good looking" This attitude can influence in society, so when the police get involved, they're asking "You sure he raped you? He's so handsome".

Again, this stems from so many people not understanding what rape is and thinking that all girls are up for it, especially with handsome men. 

Rape is a very bad thing indeed.

Punishment should be severe, if the accused is found guilty based on hard evidence instead of only declarations made by the alleged victim of the alleged rape.

However, many cases are known of false accusations mostly resulting in lengthy prison terms.

Even if the accused is not found guilty, his life is destroyed.

The accuser, mostly, walks away from the mess created by a false statement.

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Rape is a very bad thing indeed.

Punishment should be severe, if the accused is found guilty based on hard evidence instead of only declarations made by the alleged victim of the alleged rape.

However, many cases are known of false accusations mostly resulting in lengthy prison terms.

Even if the accused is not found guilty, his life is destroyed.

The accuser, mostly, walks away from the mess created by a false statement.

Okay. Don't really know what you're getting at there. 

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Correct. Thai soaps......So far from real life scenarios they may as well be on the dark side of the moon. ( that is not to say soaps in other countries are any better !!! )

And disappointingly, these soap operas could be used proactively to help change the publics view on the seriousness of raping,  by having the actor ( rapist part) caught and punished ( beaten to death in prison)

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

And disappointingly, these soap operas could be used proactively to help change the publics view on the seriousness of raping,  by having the actor ( rapist part) caught and punished ( beaten to death in prison)

In the UK the soap producers work closely with the police and victim organisations to both encourage victims to report and deal with these issues whilst discouraging potential attackers and fostering informed debate by the viewers about this and other social problems. 

No actors there would dream of making statements like these. This soap still seems to be based on the Death Wish blood and guts genre of moviemaking which was outmoded years ago.

Perhaps Mr. Bad Boy actor portraying gang rapist should be offered a staring role in a sequel to his current series.

In the sequel series, he's sentenced to prison for his crimes and winds up incarcerated with a relative of one of his victims, who along with a gang of other prisoners dish out their own form of intimate violence against the gang rapist, so he can come to understand just what it's like to be victimized.

I'd say, it has the potential for huge ratings on Thai TV... :thumbsup:

On 7/16/2017 at 7:26 PM, jaywalker said:

She's right...it IS hilarious. Was when the movie came out and still is today! Everyone I know that saw the movie thought it was hilarious. 

Jaywalker...to be clear, this is NOT directed @ you. It is directed at the overly sensitive crowd out there who can't take a joke. The movie is a COMEDY (not real life) and this guy was making a JOKE (he wasn't advocating rape). The best laughs usually come from sensitive topics.

Geez! People need to stop being so overly sensitive and easily offended. Get a life and learn to LAUGH again! :biggrin: :clap2:

Thanks for the great post. Sadly most will still not get it, but at least the 3 of us can still laugh! 

LMFAO :vampire:

seven.jpeg.7540f03c89a48d42de160fec68ea7660.jpeg

I wonder which one of the Magnificent Seven in the above photo is the "actor" who managed to fit his foot in his mouth?

Or are all of them actors I'm sure the shot is from the soaper that the fuss is all about.