Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

What goes around, comes around.

For years people entering on tourist visa's have overstayed, worked illegally etc.

Unfortunate now for all those who are genuine tourists and are suffering from the transgressors of the the past.

20 hours ago, action said:

Having 20k cash in your pocket is clear, irrefutable evidence that you are not working illegally.  Nice job Immigration!  

Yeah, I came here to #1 laborer - make my wife work

#2 Farming - Watch my friend pig n chickens      

#5 Driving - drive in this traffic HUH!

#33 roll cigarettes.my own cigarettes, I don't smoke!

18 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Thailand has every right to do that and the people that complain tend to forget that they have no  right to break the rules, regardless of their origin (or attitude). I'm sure there are some who think that they have the god-given "right" to stay in Thailand as long as they want

Haven't read the thread yet I'm sure this got said already but - there are no set rules on length of stay with tourist visas. Can you quote any set limits on tourist visa issue, or use? No. They can stay for as long as consulates keep issuing them visas (which for many has been decades) as long as they aren't completely broke (<20k baht cash in possession per trip) or employed in some physical capacity that takes jobs from locals without a permit.

If Thailand were to apply this rule, to the ten million Chinese package-tourists due-to-arrive this year, then it would solve the problem of zero-baht tours instantly ! :cool:

But just think of the queues at Immigration in Swampy & Don Muang ! :shock1:

The problem with this 'new' requirement is IMO the way it has been introduced, without any warning to allow travellers to arrange to comply with it,  it's almost like the government wants to cause tourists problems, and to generate negative-publicity world-wide for the country. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

The problem with this 'new' requirement is IMO the way it has been introduced, without any warning to allow travellers to arrange to comply with it,  it's almost like the government wants to cause tourists problems, and to generate negative-publicity world-wide for the country.

That could be, or it may just be one or a few IO's who saw someone they didn't like the looks of.  And were looking for an excuse to make their life difficult.  I'm ashamed to admit that I can be a little surly after 20+ hours in the air and 2 hours in immigration line (though I do dress respectfully).

Hard to tell at this point.  Need some more incidents to really confirm a trend.  But I suspect the wise will take it as a cautionary tale and won't be taking any chances...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

That could be, or it may just be one or a few IO's who saw someone they didn't like the looks of.  And were looking for an excuse to make their life difficult.  I'm ashamed to admit that I can be a little surly after 20+ hours in the air and 2 hours in immigration line (though I do dress respectfully).

Hard to tell at this point.  Need some more incidents to really confirm a trend.  But I suspect the wise will take it as a cautionary tale and won't be taking any chances...

Agree...it's 3 reports so far (over several days)...how many come through Swampy per day 50k?

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

those who have been unable to show cash and shown the door have their passports clearly stamped with the reason they were turned away... and the stamp doesn't say, "Didn't have enough cash" either.

It does actually say ไม่มีเงิน 'didn't have money' on a friend's denied entry stamp, when this happened to him.

SIglYm4.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

If Thailand were to apply this rule, to the ten million Chinese package-tourists due-to-arrive this year, then it would solve the problem of zero-baht tours instantly ! :cool:

But just think of the queues at Immigration in Swampy & Don Muang ! :shock1:

The problem with this 'new' requirement is IMO the way it has been introduced, without any warning to allow travellers to arrange to comply with it,  it's almost like the government wants to cause tourists problems, and to generate negative-publicity world-wide for the country. :wacko:

No, not cause tourists problems, but cause illegal workers problems.

Tourists are unaffected.

• Like 1

carrying a lot of money when traveling internationally is not a very good idea; the presumption here that people that dont carry a lot of money Might be working is faulty and xenophobic;  before i moved here years and years ago, i used ATMs exclusively in all my many visits; the current policy assumes there are little-to-no other alternatives to financing one's stay; faulty

This 20k is just a BS reason to deny people entry. Friend of mine has just been in the DM detention center and subsequently been deported on a valid tourist visa and he DID have the "required" 20k.....

They know most people don't carry 20k around and don't allow you to go to the ATM and showing overseas funds is not sufficient either, so that makes their case easy. But when you do have it, they still can throw you out, telling you to get a non-immigrant visa next time.

So meeting this 20k requirement will not save you when you're stringing too many TV's or visa exempts along............

• Like 2

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

What a load of rubbish.

The great majority of farangs in Thailand follow the laws and have NO problems year upon year.

The minorty of people who don't follow the law take their chances on being caught.

It is nothing to do with xenophobia and all to do with following the rules.

If you stick to the rules there is no problem.

If you don't, and you get caught then the problem is yours and nobody elses.

True but so are the other points in this guy's post

44 minutes ago, alh said:

This 20k is just a BS reason to deny people entry. Friend of mine has just been in the DM detention center and subsequently been deported on a valid tourist visa and he DID have the "required" 20k.....

They know most people don't carry 20k around and don't allow you to go to the ATM and showing overseas funds is not sufficient either, so that makes their case easy. But when you do have it, they still can throw you out, telling you to get a non-immigrant visa next time.

So meeting this 20k requirement will not save you when you're stringing too many TV's or visa exempts along............

Just out of curiosity, what was your friend's background story?  Was he a tourist, or a de-facto resident living on a string of tourist visa's?  And was he working in the Kingdom?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, the guest said:

If enter Thailand as a Tourist, and then enter quite quickly again, it would raise suspicion, as it would with any country. 

Thailand, and BKK in particular makes an excellent jumping off point to travel all over Southeast Asia.  It's not unusual for someone to land in BKK, spend a few days, then off to Cambodia, then back to BKK for a few days, then off to Myanmar, then back to BKK, then off to a Thai Island, then...  Well heeled, genuine tourists can spend years traveling SEA.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, baboon said:

Because there really won't be all that many foreigners from other continents just itching to wash down tables, mop out khazis or break their backs in a field for the money a Thai would pay a Burmese off the books?

And yet, every year, thousands of farangs overstay their visas.

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Thailand, and BKK in particular makes an excellent jumping off point to travel all over Southeast Asia.  It's not unusual for someone to land in BKK, spend a few days, then off to Cambodia, then back to BKK for a few days, then off to Myanmar, then back to BKK, then off to a Thai Island, then...  Well heeled, genuine tourists can spend years traveling SEA.

Exactly...me and my friends do this all the time without issue. I think we all know the type of people who get tripped up when trying to enter the country.

14 hours ago, PeCeDe said:

Agreed, but with 30 odd million visitors a year, just how logistically would Thailand accomplish it.  It would be really hard if not impossible to handle all the travel requests by the available overseas consulates and embassies.

Maybe, but then again there are plenty of countries which welcome much higher amount of tourists. If they modernise the  application procedure and the data system was updated both here and in Embassies/ Consulates abroad I think it will be easier and more transparent for both Thailand and the applicants.

58 minutes ago, impulse said:

this isn't just about walk-ins across the border.

yeah agree.

Edited by maewang99

they are trying to weed out those down and out.

nothing to do with employment rules.

and at borders and airports they can use any discrimination they please. it's like that everywhere. especially now in the USA.  we're the example maker on this now.

this thing is aimed at border crossers... no matter what else unfolds.... so they are saying to everyone here (who are not tourists if they are using the border and don't look like a jet setter out for some exercise or just crossing over on foot for some shopping.... something like that)...... have 20k with you or else.... leave one way.

yes?

Edited by maewang99

if you can afford champagne and a girl ... in Bangkok..... and even only one.... you are welcome. apparently.

if not....... bye bye.  that's the deal.  so what's all the fuss?

Edited by maewang99