Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

Ok I posted too soon. After 5 hours he got let in.

He paid 2000 for the visa on arrival that his nationality gets - 15 days, yes. He opened his Skrill wallet online balance and they accepted that. Completely contrary to other reports, weird.

He had a flight out for 15 days time, yes. But didn't have hotel bookings. They asked for both, luckily one was enough.

Perhaps a supervisor said ok he's never actually been to Thailand before let's not be so ridiculous as to deny this guy entry too. 

Good news. Ridiculous that people buy expensive tickets plan a holiday, follow all the rules and then get knocked back at the boarder for no good reason.
  • Like 2

On 7/17/2017 at 0:12 PM, webfact said:

on the grounds that he could be working illegally.

proving a negative; other than being in jail or hospital for long periods, how can a person prove this ? incarcerating a person on the basis that they COULD be doing something, without any evidence, seems so wrong 

9 hours ago, jspill said:

Do you really have to freak out every post lol. Here's three threads then about Romanians - Bangkok link, Phuket link, Pattaya link

Excactly, Romania is one of the countries that immigration will look out for , 20k in the hand or not .  

I doubt they would threat a Norwegian the same way .  Until we hear of cases that "tourists" from rich countries are denied entry without any reason , I will not warn anyone from my home country.  

10 hours ago, jspill said:

Do you really have to freak out every post lol. Here's three threads then about Romanians - Bangkok link, Phuket link, Pattaya link

You are the one that rushed to your keyboard and as it turned out prematurely.

BTW your links are from 2011/15 not exactly current...............

Edited by phuketjock

Yes cash is king.

If it's not a stupid question will showing a few thousand pound of UK sterling in cash pass the vagrancy test or are they so dogmatic it has to be in Thai baht.

i normally bring in similar amounts when on a 60 or 90 visa

and draw more when needed at those very expensive 180-220 baht charge ATM's

Edited by Lord Lucan

On 19-7-2017 at 2:12 PM, sandemara said:

When will tourists learn they are required to wear an armband of a particular colour and carrying an agreed clearly visible, recognisable symbol - maybe a passport number tattoo on the wrist as well before they hit those immigration queues?  Xenophobia promoted and encouraged for purely political purposes.

Welcome to Thailand! So glad you chose to visit!  The cattle wagons, sealed for your protection,  to take you to your luxury accommodation are just over there,  see? Walk between the two lines of snarling  guard dogs restrained by poorly-trained but highly polished officers with guns.  Oh no, don't worry about your luggage. We'll make sure it catches up with you after you've settled in, etc , etc.

Who will be the first spokesman for the authorities who substitutes ''Pogrom' for ''crackdown'' in their press briefings?

Well in USA now, a company is implanting micro chips in their workers body. So very easy to follow your workers 24/7.

Majority of workers aprove, so minority feels they have to follow and will have also implant.

Probably not far away, everybody will have a chip in their body.

Way to being a cyborg. We are the Borg, we will assimilate you, resistance is futile

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Well in USA now, a company is implanting micro chips in their workers body. So very easy to follow your workers 24/7.

Majority of workers aprove, so minority feels they have to follow and will have also implant.

Way to being a cyborg. We are the Borg, we will assimilate you, resistance is futile

Some companies goes the hard way and require implants of chips and some companies do it the nice way and gives the employees smart phones - both are done for the same reason - same same, but different..;) 

27 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Them implants are almost useless as there's no power source, they use RFID and induction for power.

So of course you need to 'swipe' the chip over an induction coil for it to be read and this means it's got to be really close.

So you're not going to be tracked by one of those little implants. Not now or until they invent a tiny powerful battery.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Them implants are almost useless as there's no power source, they use RFID and induction for power.

So of course you need to 'swipe' the chip over an induction coil for it to be read and this means it's got to be really close.

So you're not going to be tracked by one of those little implants. Not now or until they invent a tiny powerful battery.

Did you see the newest pacemaker? With a source runnig for long time and then even the biggest part is the pump !

pacemaker11.jpg

47 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Did you see the newest pacemaker? With a source runnig for long time and then even the biggest part is the pump !

pacemaker11.jpg

Tiny low power batteries like this or induction coil type systems are not good for radio transmission over more than a few centimeters hence RFID is only good for pretty much 'contact' or very nearby devices. We're counting in centimeters here, probably less than 10 cm.

I bought a few of RFID / smart card scanners and ran some tests on them with a bunch of different types of RFID cards, stickers / labels, keyfobs, pens, etc - they all suck.

I needed to touch the item to the receiver just to get a reading.

Battery technology will move along in the future but we're nowhere near it yet.

No need to track a Brit, hes in the Bog ,reading the Sun n puffin aPark Drive.?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

we can make san francisco song like

If you are going 

to sunny, sunny Thailand

Beware, to wear 20 kbath in your purse 

if you are going 

to sunny, sunny Thailand

Beware, no gentle officers there

All officers , imigration

have a weird vibration

oh oh people in stres now 

oh oh people in stres now 

If you are going 

to sunny, sunny Thailand

Beware, to wear 20 kbath in your purse 

if you are going 

to sunny, sunny Thailand

Beware, no gentle officers there

This is also true at the check point in Cambodia. But this is something else. First they required my friend to show 20,000. Then he had to withdraw 20,000 and showed them. Then they ask him again to process his non-B right there else he will be denied entry. But my friend only need to take exit so for the purpose of his non-B to be processed by his new employer. In the end he was denied entry from Cambodia. Something else why he was refused is ******* well we already know what is it!

On 02/08/2017 at 2:05 AM, Chou Anou said:

Yes, it IS about "a couple of cases." Literally.  That's what started all this.  People just love to panic (and certain websites like to encourage the panic, because it gets them more clicks $$$).

No, the article in the OP just focuses on a few specific cases but it clearly states it's happening to many.

Two specific cases were notable because they happened on consecutive days, were both reported on thaivisa, they met in the detention cell and one posted a photo of the cell. Then the third was posted to a Facebook expat group and the screenshot of that just goes well with the article. 

They gave 3 examples for the sake of the article but it's happening to many. About 20 denial cases so far that I've read, and about the same number of cases of being interrogated then finally let in. 

The reports keep coming in. Here's a new one, 66 year old New Zealand national is told he can only have one single entry tourist visa per year, hasn't been in Thailand for over 6 months. Almost denied but reluctantly let in.

"i have only recently, re-entered thailand {bkk} on a setv  visa...i am nz citizen who last left thailand on 13jan 2017...the imm officer was not going to let me in---saying the rules have now changed. i can only get i setv entry per year....he told me he wasnt interested that i owned condo here and did not want to work here" - Link to post

Here's an April thread I missed before and didn't see linked here. A group of Indians have a 5 day vacation planned out with return ticket, hotel bookings, they've never even been to Thailand. They are all questioned for some hours at the airport then denied and have to fly home.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/977875-immigration-officer-refused-entry-at-bangkok-airport/

Then we have the 4 hour airport delays recently in the news. As well as various other excuses like lack of staff / four flights arriving at once, one of the reasons given was 'increased questioning'. 

Edited by jspill

22 minutes ago, jspill said:

No, the article in the OP just focuses on a few specific cases but it clearly states it's happening to many.

Two specific cases were notable because they happened on consecutive days, were both reported on thaivisa, they met in the detention cell and one posted a photo of the cell. Then the third was posted to a Facebook expat group and the screenshot of that just goes well with the article. 

They gave 3 examples for the sake of the article but it's happening to many. About 20 denial cases so far that I've read, and about the same number of cases of being interrogated then finally let in. 

The reports keep coming in. Here's a new one, 66 year old New Zealand national is told he can only have one single entry tourist visa per year, hasn't been in Thailand for over 6 months. Almost denied but reluctantly let in.

"i have only recently, re-entered thailand {bkk} on a setv  visa...i am nz citizen who last left thailand on 13jan 2017...the imm officer was not going to let me in---saying the rules have now changed. i can only get i setv entry per year....he told me he wasnt interested that i owned condo here and did not want to work here" - Link to post

Here's an April thread I missed before and didn't see linked here. A group of Indians have a 5 day vacation planned out with return ticket, hotel bookings, they've never even been to Thailand. They are all questioned for some hours at the airport then denied and have to fly home.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/977875-immigration-officer-refused-entry-at-bangkok-airport/

Then we have the 4 hour airport delays recently in the news. As well as various other excuses like lack of staff / four flights arriving at once, one of the reasons given was 'increased questioning'. 

What is this guy doing an a tourist visa if he owns a condo here hardly a tourist is he, and

if he is 66 why does he not apply for a retirement extension, if he can afford to buy a condo

surely he has the necessary finances to obtain one?

Thats' just off the top of my head and I am not even an IO.

The rest of your post is the same stuff you keep bringing up, and as usual only one side of the

story is given on here. 

And what you fail to mention in your post is that the refusals you keep bringing up are over

several years, aren't they?

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, phuketjock said:

What is this guy doing an a tourist visa if he owns a condo here hardly a tourist is he, and

if he is 66 why does he not apply for a retirement extension, if he can afford to buy a condo

surely he has the necessary finances to obtain one?

Thats' just off the top of my head and I am not even an IO.

The rest of your post is the same stuff you keep bringing up, and as usual only one side of the

story is given on here. 

And what you fail to mention in your post is that the refusals you keep bringing up are over

several years, aren't they?

Not necessarily over several years. For example the two thaivisa members in the OP, kohphanganlover and the German Ed visa student, were in the ~12 month range, and the US / Afghani from another thread did 9 months on one METV then was denied. Then the Indians I mention above did a whopping zero days in Thailand.

I wrote not too long ago that if it was over several years no one would be surprised / could really complain. But the recent uptick in denials is affecting people much earlier, anywhere from 0 - 18 months. 

Yes on the internet obviously only one side of the story is given, that's all it's possible to ever know. But people can read ~20 stories and take appropriate precautions, like using land borders for now.

1 hour ago, jspill said:

Not necessarily over several years. For example the two thaivisa members in the OP, kohphanganlover and the German Ed visa student, were in the ~12 month range, and the US / Afghani from another thread did 9 months on one METV then was denied. Then the Indians I mention above did a whopping zero days in Thailand.

I wrote not too long ago that if it was over several years no one would be surprised / could really complain. But the recent uptick in denials is affecting people much earlier, anywhere from 0 - 18 months. 

Yes on the internet obviously only one side of the story is given, that's all it's possible to ever know. But people can read ~20 stories and take appropriate precautions, like using land borders for now.

You are doing it again quoting the same refusals over and over again, 3 people have been refused entry one no money, one with 

overstay, and one suspected of working we think.

The Indians were rejected for what reason, who knows but i strongly suspect there may have been something dodgy about their

visa for all of them to be refused, or perhaps an attitude problem nobody knows do they??

There is no "uptick " in denials other than in the scaremongering mind of you and people like you.

You have dropped another figure of 20 are you now saying 20 people have been refused in the last 0-18 months? because that

would not be true would it?

You then recommend using land borders then your very next post tells all to avoid a certain land border.

Mountain out of mole hill comes to mind, stop making something out of nothing you are scaremongering.

Edited by phuketjock
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

You are doing it again quoting the same refusals over and over again, 3 people have been refused entry one no money, one with 

The Indians were rejected for what reason, who knows but i strongly suspect there may have been something dodgy about their

visa for all of them to be refused, or perhaps an attitude problem nobody knows do they??

There is no "uptick " in denials other than in the scaremongering mind of you and people like you.

You have dropped another figure of 20 are you now saying 20 people have been refused in the last 0-18 months? because that

You then recommend using land borders then your very next post tells all to avoid a certain land border.

Mountain out of mole hill comes to mind, stop making something out of nothing you are scaremongering.

I agree.

I posted the thread that jspill quoted me on not for the purpose of scare mongering but to underline the fact that people using Multi Entry NonB's with a WP attached are being asked for 20K proof.

Sadao has reports going back for years of people being asked to show 20K on SETVs and IO's asking for tea money there if one cannot show the 20K.

The only thing that's new is that they seem to be taking it to the next level with multiple entry nonB holders. And supposedly they don't like bribes anymore for the time being. We'll see how long that lasts.

It's a specific situation limited to Sadao and should not be used as "extra ammunition" to reinforce some other reports that lack credibility in my opinion.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phuketjock said:

I'm saying 20 recent denials, specifically since the start of this year. The 0-18 months figure is how long they've been in the country, i.e. some were rejected having never entered, some had been in Thailand a year, some a bit longer. 

It's not scaremongering I'm just stating facts we have about 20 reports, if people don't want to believe it that's fine. Those that do can be aware and take precautions, like carrying 20k and using any land border other than Sadao or Poipet.

It's you that's having a weird emotional reaction to me just listing reports of denials, not sure why. 

3 hours ago, lkv said:

I posted the thread that jspill quoted me on not for the purpose of scare mongering but to underline the fact that people using Multi Entry NonB's with a WP attached are being asked for 20K proof.

Sadao has reports going back for years of people being asked to show 20K on SETVs and IO's asking for tea money there if one cannot show the 20K.

The only thing that's new is that they seem to be taking it to the next level with multiple entry nonB holders. And supposedly they don't like bribes anymore for the time being. We'll see how long that lasts.

It's a specific situation limited to Sadao and should not be used as "extra ammunition" to reinforce some other reports that lack credibility in my opinion.

No one said it was scaremongering or being used as ammunition. People can just be aware of it, it's relevant to the thread title. 

37 minutes ago, jspill said:

I'm saying 20 recent denials, specifically since the start of this year. The 0-18 months figure is how long they've been in the country, i.e. some were rejected having never entered, some had been in Thailand a year, some a bit longer. 

It's not scaremongering I'm just stating facts we have about 20 reports, if people don't want to believe it that's fine. Those that do can be aware and take precautions, like carrying 20k and using any land border other than Sadao or Poipet.

It's you that's having a weird emotional reaction to me just listing reports of denials, not sure why. 

You're not listing any facts whatsoever you are just throwing out unsubstantiated numbers.

where is your list of 20 reports since January 2017????

And how many people have entered Thailand in that time with no problems Whatsoever??

Edited by phuketjock

57 minutes ago, jspill said:

The problem is you're not stating what I define to be facts.

You're putting together some very dubious reports from posters with zero history here or what seems to be "made up" history, and some people that you say personally know, multiplying it with numbers (it must be higher because not everybody is on TV),and drawing up a doom and gloom conclusion.

Whilst i agree with the latter, the issue is the credibility of the reports to begin with.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I did post a list maybe it was in another thread, ok I'll do it here. It's not scaremongering to post reports. Facts don't care about your feelings.

1, 2, 3 - the three reports in the OP of this thread

4  - the Muay Thai guy from Bangkok Expats Facebook group

5 - stoicccc - link

6, 7 - This guy, can't recall it was on thaivisa too. Then in the comments there's a guy saying it happened to him, and 2 saying it almost happened to them

8 - Californiadreaming82 - link

9 - Introuble - link

10 - Stuart Fox - link

11 - GregoryH - link

12, 13, 14, 15, 16 - the 5 Indians link

17. 18 - guys from another forum, we're not allowed to link to other forums, welcome to PM me

19 - Johnny396 - link

20 - However many in Sadao yesterday

All in 2017. I'm forgetting some. A few weren't OPs, they were posts within the threads above. 'Oh this happened to me too' etc. 

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2