My visa retirement extension refused yesterday

40 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

peculiar to be sure; i and others keep more than 1M, for when they increase the threshold and do not tell us; just a guess at the amount

So so you really think they would make a change to the rules without announcing it. In the past when they changed the rules they put a moratorium on the change so people already on extensions could adjust for the change.

15 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

A friend of mine had the 800,000 in the bank no problem. Unfortunately, the bank took a 250 baht card charge out which he was not notified of. He was refused his extension!!! 

I have two accounts.

A fixed term account in which I originally deposited the 800,000 baht. No debit card and higher interest rates.

I allow the interest to roll over each year, so the 800,000 has now become 850,000.

I have a separate Savings account with debit card for everything else.

Of course you could have obtained the extension, taken the money out the bank and then it wouldn't have been in for 3 months would it?

As you can apply 6 weeks before the extension is due it would be a good loop hole to only have the money in your account for 6 weeks.

I think immigration are only following the rules.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Regarding medical letter: OP said "new extension of visa etc etc". So was this a first time shot at retirement visa, or a renewal? First timers are subject to the medical bit, but not renewers, in my experience. If only hassle was over ripening of funds, I'd count myself lucky.... of course more surprises may await you when you show up with bank letter, etc....

There is no requirement ever for a medical certificate to apply for an extension of stay. Only 2 or 3 rogue offices want one.

You are confusing a non-oa visa application at an embassy or consulate with an extension of stay.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

peculiar to be sure; i and others keep more than 1M, for when they increase the threshold and do not tell us; just a guess at the amount

If they did increase the financial requirement, I believe they'd 'grandfather' the amounts for existing expats.

9 hours ago, perthperson said:

Wonder why they think only those applying for extensions based on retirement are prone to these unlikely diseases ? 

This is Thailand, they love making up rules just for the sake of it. ie, why can't marriage extensions have the combination method the same as the retirement extensions?

• Like 2

Whilst on this matter of monies in ones account. Can an officer refuse to accept your extension request if your money is in 2 separate accounts within the same bank. IE I had the required 800,000 but some was in a fixed saving account and the rest in a ordinary account. I got refused by the officer and accused of messing him around. He tossed the books back at me and walked off. Another officer picked up the books and then processed my extension. Who is right, the first or second officer?

Edited by sinbin

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Not sure which Immigration office the OP is using but Amnat Chareon and Roi Et request a medical certificate for extension based on retirement. (Not required for extensions based on marriage).

The medical certificates can be obtained for 30 baht without the need to see a doctor and only confirm you don't have leprosy, elephantiasis or tuberculosis,

And syphillis.

4 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Whilst on this matter of monies in ones account. Can an officer refuse to accept your extension request if your money is in 2 separate accounts within the same bank. IE I had the required 800,000 but some was in a fixed saving account and the rest in a ordinary account. I got refused by the officer and accused of messing him around. He tossed the books back at me and walked off. Another officer picked up the books and then processed my extension. Who is right, the first or second officer?

I have 2 separate accounts, use both of them every year for my retirement extension, with no problems.

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Which means he only had 799,750 baht in the bank on the date he applied for the extension. Why would anybody only have exactly 800k baht in the bank.

I usually put my "visa money" on fixed deposit at least 3 months before the renewal date. It is kept separate from all my other banking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Syphilis is not on the pre determined list of medical conditions on the form.

Which form. Perhaps the one for a driver license.

The one for a OA visa asks for it. http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Medical-Certificate-Form-For-Non-Immigrant-O-A-Long-Stay-Only.pdf

If your office is asking for medical certificate you should show them that the police order does not require one.

No, but previous history dictates they should.
A lot of expats are struggling to meet the requirements now.

I don't think should is an apt word.
If the Thai government decides they want to quickly shake out a bunch of what may be seen as economically marginal foreign elders they always have that power to do it easily. We're not granted permission to stay because we're charming.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Which form. Perhaps the one for a driver license.

The one for a OA visa asks for it. http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Medical-Certificate-Form-For-Non-Immigrant-O-A-Long-Stay-Only.pdf

If your office is asking for medical certificate you should show them that the police order does not require one.

The standard medical form obtained from Clinics.

The topic is about extensions, not Visas. Apples and Oranges.

Nothing in the orders about supplying a map pinpointing your address either, but many more offices request that nowadays.

10 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Not sure which Immigration office the OP is using but Amnat Chareon and Roi Et request a medical certificate for extension based on retirement. (Not required for extensions based on marriage).

The medical certificates can be obtained for 30 baht without the need to see a doctor and only confirm you don't have leprosy, elephantiasis or tuberculosis,

I've got neither, but do they really want a proof? If yes: where can it be obtained? 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think should is an apt word.
If the Thai government decides they want to quickly shake out a bunch of what may be seen as economically marginal foreign elders they always have that power to do it easily. We're not granted permission to stay because we're charming.

Agreed, but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did.

A lot of married expats are struggling to meet the 40,000 baht per month requirement from their Pensions due to the current exchange rates. It would affect a lot of Thai citizens as well.

The income standards for foreigners are already quite high in comparison to average Thai earnings.

4 minutes ago, micmichd said:

I've got neither, but do they really want a proof? If yes: where can it be obtained? 

As UJ stated, only 2 or 3 offices request a medical certificate, and only for retirement extensions.

Standard medical forms can be obtained from daytime clinics very cheaply for this purpose.

It's the same medical form the DLT requests to obtain a Driving Licence.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Agreed, but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did.

A lot of married expats are struggling to meet the 40,000 baht per month requirement from their Pensions due to the current exchange rates.

Many foreigners think & say just that about Thailand shooting themselves in the foot by casting out those

below X determined poverty line

But I do not think Thailand cares as much or is as dependent as you think on expats dollars

But expats tend to have an inflated self worth

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Standard medical forms can be obtained from daytime clinics very cheaply for this purpose.

It's the same medical form the DLT requests to obtain a Driving Licence.

Perhaps at your rogue office. Samui wants one from a hospital that costs a lot more than the five and dime one from a clinic.

25 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Nothing in the orders about supplying a map pinpointing your address either, but many more offices request that nowadays.

A map is simple document to provide. A medical certificate is not the same and would be in the police order if it was required.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you made a silly mistake, you have to have the money in for a clear 3 months.

So you stupidly took money out, then back without doing your calculations.

For the future put the money in leave it in, immigration were correct in what they did, you created inconvenience for yourself because you didnt check things out correctly, next time you will know that.

You could still have a problem, because at Jomtien at least, they want to see it is an "active account". This means they want to see movement in the account in the three days preceding the application!  If you do nothing, account invalid, go away. If you take money out, not enough money, go away. So, you need to put a few thousand in, immediately before you get your book made up and the bank letter printed, not more than three days before you apply. Might be difficult if it's a holiday weekend, you have no margins for error! 

Imm might be kind and work on the basis of working days, not calander days. All depends on how much or how little they like the look of you, so dress up well, and on which side of whose bed the officer got up that morning........

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grusa said:

You could still have a problem, because at Jomtien at least, they want to see it is an "active account". This means they want to see movement in the account in the three days preceding the application!  If you do nothing, account invalid, go away. If you take money out, not enough money, go away. So, you need to put a few thousand in, immediately before you get your book made up and the bank letter printed, not more than three days before you apply. Might be difficult if it's a holiday weekend, you have no margins for error! 

Imm might be kind and work on the basis of working days, not calander days. All depends on how much or how little they like the look of you, so dress up well, and on which side of whose bed the officer got up that morning........

For Jomtien no need to put money in. When you get your letter from the bank they will update your passbook. Never had a problem.