Trump, Putin held a second, undisclosed meeting at G20 summit

webfact

Trump, Putin held a second, undisclosed meeting at G20 summit

tag-reuters.jpg

Russia's President Vladimir Putin talks to U.S. President Donald Trump during their bilateral meeting at the G20 summit in Hamburg, Germany July 7, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a second, previously undisclosed conversation during a dinner for G20 leaders at a summit earlier this month in Germany, a White House official confirmed on Tuesday.

The two leaders held a formal two-hour bilateral meeting on July 7 in which Trump later said Putin denied allegations that he directed efforts to meddle in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The White House official did not say how long the second meeting took place or what was discussed.

The second conversation between Trump and Putin took place during a dinner for the Group of 20 heads of state and their spouses in Hamburg, said Ian Bremmer, the president of political risk consultancy Eurasia Group, who was first to report the meeting in a note to clients.

Television coverage of the dinner showed that first lady Melania Trump was seated next to Putin.

Bremmer said Trump got up from his seat halfway through dinner and spent about an hour talking "privately and animatedly" with Putin, "joined only by Putin's own translator."

The lack of a U.S. translator raised eyebrows among other leaders at the dinner, said Bremmer, who called it a "breach of national security protocol."

Trump is under intense scrutiny by Congress and a special counsel investigating Russian interference into the 2016 presidential election, and probing whether Trump's campaign had ties to the activity. Trump has denied collusion between his campaign and Moscow.

(Reporting by Steve Holland; Writing by Eric Beech; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-19

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while him and his team are under investigation for a Russian connection, he has a one hour chat with Putin, without his translator or anyone else to listen to what was being said. Above it is called a "breach of national security protocol."  Personally I would call it an act of absolute idiotic stupidity. Even IF, nothing untoward was discussed, it is bound to raise further suspicions and add fuel to the already blazing fire. 

My God, you mean the US President actually met and talked with...a Russian! Should immediately go to Defcon whatever and start the nukes flying, that will teach them evil Ruskies to dare talk to an American.

In fact recall the Aussie PM actually spoke with Putin as well, we should also declare war, how dare their leaders talk to our leaders, what possible reason could there be. They should instead be talking with...well someone other than politicians.

what makes Russia, besides their nukes, such a big factor for everyone?

energy. the dirty kind.

anyone with a pension hooked deeply in dirty energy.... and especially if they spend it in something other than dollahs.... is gonna face a Life Changing double whammy. peak oil is a correct theory, but it goes into play from the demand side. there is never going to be a supply issue there. it won't be a matter of "believing" or not "believing"... End of Story. it's economics, and solar and wind.

these guys are in bed with what is about to turn again but much more strongly into a horrifically falling down sunset industry.. oil and gas and coal will look more like the Tulip Mania than a viable industry, within 10 years.  and many pension plans are still betting on dividend cash flows from these losers.

losers. both of them.

and this is already unfolding. not in the future somewhere. now.

unless they stop all future projects and exploration... and cash out what they pump only. 

Edited by maewang99

5 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

the other side lost the race,the people decided who they wanted.since then they are trying destroy him by anyway possible.

He's very capable of destroying himself~if you have not noticed.  Also, it's most of the US population the doesn't trust him :giggle:.  Stop regurgitating

4 hours ago, maewang99 said:

what makes Russia, besides their nukes, such a big factor for everyone?

energy. the dirty kind.

anyone with a pension hooked deeply in dirty energy.... and especially if they spend it in something other than dollahs.... is gonna face a Life Changing double whammy. peak oil is a correct theory, but it goes into play from the demand side. there is never going to be a supply issue there. it won't be a matter of "believing" or not "believing"... End of Story. it's economics, and solar and wind.

these guys are in bed with what is about to turn again but much more strongly into a horrifically falling down sunset industry.. oil and gas and coal will look more like the Tulip Mania than a viable industry, within 10 years.  and many pension plans are still betting on dividend cash flows from these losers.

losers. both of them.

and this is already unfolding. not in the future somewhere. now.

unless they stop all future projects and exploration... and cash out what they pump only. 

Trump owes the Russians~yes they are trying to prolong a certain death, and DT doesn't care about what happens because he will pardon everyone, and get off with no harm to himself~only making a mockery out if the US presidency, and helping the rich through a huge transfer of wealth~more than likely dooming US security and ties to allies as well

6 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

the other side lost the race,the people decided who they wanted.since then they are trying destroy him by anyway possible.

President Donald Trump has the lowest approval rating of any American President ever.  It stands at 36% at the moment.  So clearly the vast majority of people in the USA see they have made a huge mistake in voting for him.  

24 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

President Donald Trump has the lowest approval rating of any American President ever.  It stands at 36% at the moment.  So clearly the vast majority of people in the USA see they have made a huge mistake in voting for him.  

True; unfortunately he has his "foot in the door" and wants to be Supreme Leader and 1st U.S. dictator. Republicans are condoning and allowing him free passage to dismantle U.S. democracy. Putin is so proud of his creation. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a second, previously undisclosed conversation[...]

The two leaders held a formal two-hour bilateral meeting on July 7 in which Trump later said Putin denied allegations that he directed efforts to meddle in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The White House official did not say how long the second meeting took place or what was discussed.

"Patriotic Americans are calling for a total and complete shutdown of Trumps entering the Whitehouse until our country's representatives can figure out what the H is going on..."

T

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So while him and his team are under investigation for a Russian connection, he has a one hour chat with Putin, without his translator or anyone else to listen to what was being said. Above it is called a "breach of national security protocol."  Personally I would call it an act of absolute idiotic stupidity. Even IF, nothing untoward was discussed, it is bound to raise further suspicions and add fuel to the already blazing fire. 

So how else is he to converse with Putin that will not be picked up by the spooks? Everyone he is close to will be watched. These guys would be desperate to cover their tracks so a private meeting is exactly what I would expect. All this advice about coming clean of any contacts presumes these guys are innocent. That is very unlikely. Expect more coverup and you will not be disappointed.

5 hours ago, Lowryder said:

"The White House official did not say how long the second meeting took place or what was discussed"

How could he even know what was discussed? 

Trump: "Time to extract me outta there, boss. They're gettin' close, man"

And then Putin spent the next hour talking him down and telling him what a great spy he is and reminding him of the PeePee tape, ending with a stern, "now get back to your post, soldier!"

T

23 hours ago, Rancid said:

My God, you mean the US President actually met and talked with...a Russian! Should immediately go to Defcon whatever and start the nukes flying, that will teach them evil Ruskies to dare talk to an American.

In fact recall the Aussie PM actually spoke with Putin as well, we should also declare war, how dare their leaders talk to our leaders, what possible reason could there be. They should instead be talking with...well someone other than politicians.

The operative word being "undisclosed"...as in "in secret"! 

13 minutes ago, DM07 said:

The operative word being "undisclosed"...as in "in secret"! 

It wasn't secret. He did it in front of lots of other leaders of the G20 nations. But he certainly didn't disclose it. Oddly enough, he didn't use his own interpreter but rather Putin's instead. I'm sure that was for purely innocent reasons.

The US prez has to be reminded; he works for the American people. He is paid by American tax money. Therefore, what he says and does, in relation to the well-being of the USA, is Americans' concern.  

Here's a hypothetical but realistic conversation that Trump could have with Putin, remembering that there were two crafty Russians and only one intelligence-challenged person at that private meeting:

Trump:  "Hey Vlad, you're one of the richest people I know.  You're a better leader than Obama.  You know I love rich right wing people, so you know I love you too."

Putin;  "Donald, please don't flatter me too much.  You know that California has a stronger economy than the entire Soviet Un...,  um, I mean; ....than Russia, don't you?"

Trump:  "Yea, but they don't have as many nukes, and I like Russian call girls better than those in L.A., ha ha ha ha."

Putin; "Don, let's get serious. I think it's unfair that Obama took those two nice big houses from us in Maryland."

Trump: "Consider it done, Vladinsky. Those houses are yours again."

Putin; "And my friend Bashar in Syria doesn't like how Uncle Sam is supporting rebels there."

Trump; "No problem, comrade, I'll make a call tomorrow to call off all US support for those pesky rebels."

Putin, "Tonight, I would like to boom boom Melania and Ivanka."

Trump; "Ummm, Melania maybe. She keeps me out of her bedroom, but maybe you can sneak in there.  As for my daughter, I don't know.  She's married to Kushner, so he owns her now.  Maybe you can work something out with Kushner.  He always needs to borrow money."

Putin; "Yes, I know, and you too are always borrowing money, from Russian big shots.  Maybe you do what I ask, and I won't tell your American press people about all the money you owe to Russians."

Trump: "Sure, buddingski.  Oh, and please don't realease any pee pee tapes."

Trump’s embrace of Russia making top advisers wary

"WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump’s persistent overtures toward Russia are placing him increasingly at odds with his national security and foreign policy advisers, who have long urged a more cautious approach to dealing with the foreign adversary."

"The previously undisclosed conversation, which occurred a few hours after their official bilateral meeting, raised red flags with advisers already concerned by the president’s tendency to shun protocol and press ahead with outreach toward Russia, according to two U.S. officials and three top foreign officials."

"U.S. officials echoed that sentiment, with one saying diplomats and intelligence officials were “dumbfounded” by the president’s approach, particularly given the evidence of Russia’s election meddling."

https://apnews.com/4b4b7e380f204b45a8c3055a5d45255e/Trump's-embrace-of-Russia-making-top-advisers-wary

Just 'dessert'? Second Trump-Putin chat defied the norms

"Word of a second, lengthy conversation between the president and Putin earlier this month in Germany is adding yet another level of intrigue to Trump's entanglements with the Russian leader."

"Not only was the session undisclosed by both countries,

but it took place with no aides present,  save for a Russian government translator — a risky move, national security experts say."

"Not only has Russia been an adversary for some time, but this is a guy who directed an intervention into our election

when Trump was elected"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dessert-trump-putin-chat-defied-norms-48732573

Edited by iReason

6 hours ago, CutiePi said:

So talking to a fellow diner at a dinner given by the meeting host is the left's Scandal de Jour...give me a break.

There were 18 other leaders he could have chosen to have prolonged conversations with. Instead he chose the one he seems to have a peculiar liking for and a profound reluctance to criticize. 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:58 AM, darksidedog said:

It does raise questions about this guy's judgement

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

There were 18 other leaders he could have chosen to have prolonged conversations with. Instead he chose the one he seems to have a peculiar liking for and a profound reluctance to criticize. 

So he likes fellow alpha males and not those precious European and Canadian leaders (and I highly doubt Merkel or May are his ideal conversation partners either)...can you blame him.

Edited by CutiePi