Jenphop Jailed For Crash That Killed 2 Grad Students

webfact

5 hours ago, greenchair said:

I just don't understand these lawyers that advise their clients to appeal. 2 and a half years! !!he should be doing cartwheels of happiness. He'll be out in 18 months with good behaviour. 

An appeal will last years and he might get the 5 years he deserves. 

Thai lawyers never seem to have the clients best interests in mind. 

We had a case recently where someone appealed against the amount of compensation she (?) had to pay, The judge increased it. Maybe the same will happen in this case and his sentence will be increased.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Do you recall the recent case of the popcorn gunman? He also confessed. He also was declared innocent after his appeal.

This seems just the latest in the way they're handling the cases of the rich. You toss away the most serious charges as unable to be proven by making sure nobody tests the driver when the accident happens, and so that goes away (Red Bull case also). You then get the tearful confession/wai to the victim/entering the monkhood. You then get the court trial, usually long after the event so that the anger and memory of the incident is clouded. Once the confession halves the sentence, you appeal. Then you get rid of the rest of it or get reduced to probation. No doubt we'll have a claim that loss of driver's license for life is too harsh as it affects his ability to make a living. And voila! No jail time, no charges, no loss of driver's license, no drunk driving charge, no vehicular manslaughter, nothing. Wait for it.

Lets hope not.. it was a shame that the popcorn man got free (the guy was not rich at all). They guy should have stayed in jail, gross miscarriage of justice.

Anyway I hope for better results with this guy, but as you say there is an other option and we all know how slow things move in Thailand... people might forget.

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Believe it only when it is proven that he is in jail and really does his time. What about the killer from 
red bull?

Yes - let's keep up the pressure! Wonder if he was at Silverstone last weekend? Wonder if anybody actually checked? Wonder if they flew a team of investigators in from Thailand just in case he was? Wonder if ...........................?

6 hours ago, robblok said:

The part I don't get is how can you appeal if you confess ? I mean.. appeal what.. the height of the sentence ? Lets hope he won't be on bail to wait his appeal. 

I think that's it Rob. He will be appealing the sentence. His lawyer will demand the sentence be suspended as his client has never been to jail before, etc etc etc.

But the Appeal Court and Supreme Court, assuming they appeal the Appeal Court ruling too, can also increase sentences. Hopefully the prosecutors will now fight to have the sentence increased.

But we'll have to wait to see if any time is actually served behind bars. 

What a bloody joke... 2.5 years in the big house for murdering two innocent people..... 'the legal system that you have when you don't have a legal system'... shame shame shame... 'The court also dismissed a charge of DUI against Jenphop, citing insufficient evidence and a flawed police investigation.'  The rich get richer the poor get the picture.... nuff said!

14 minutes ago, Teacherduck said:

Money talks, he won't be serving anytime. Pay more money the appeal system will be stuffed up. Is it corruption or incompetence?

I don't believe that Thai Judges are "incompetent" in their knowledge of how the Thai legal-system works.

41 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

For 200.000 Baht he is free on bail now. 

The whole thing has nothing to do with justice. I wonder that the thai society accept this so uncritical. 

- "Thai Society" ?

The population of Thailand is almost 68 million.

67,980,000 of these people know full well that they have *zero* influence/control over the decisions ( = laws) made for the benefit of the other 20,000.

And they don't waste their time being critical of "justice" in Thailand - it would be pointless.

Edited by andersonat

14 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

So, only 5 years for killing two people, and then halved because he confessed?  God, this countries laws are so totally <deleted> UP! 

You can be sure he will be treated like a celebrity in jail.  No creature comforts will be denied him.  Sure his wings will be clipped but conditions will be good and who knows how long before he gets his good conduct exit pass.

21 hours ago, greenchair said:

I just don't understand these lawyers that advise their clients to appeal. 2 and a half years! !!he should be doing cartwheels of happiness. He'll be out in 18 months with good behaviour. 

An appeal will last years and he might get the 5 years he deserves. 

Thai lawyers never seem to have the clients best interests in mind. 

it is a money thing

I was just thinking: there is another component to this!

Wasn't the family of the victims refusing to Jenphops blood money and demanded to seek justice?

Couldn't this verdict be seen as a stern reminder to the plebs, that they better take what the elite offers them?

Otherwise they will get nothing!

I'm surprised that there are not more revenge murders in this country. If my kids were killed in this way the perpetrator would have to watch his back the rest of his like. I'd be coming to get him. No payouts accepted. 

If there's any real karma Anna Reese and Jenphop will crash their respective Mercedes head-on into each other.

It's too much to hope for a four vehicle crash, adding in Orachorn “Praewa” Thephasadin na Ayudhya and Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya.

2 hours ago, chaz2 said:

What you all seem to be missing here is that the attorneys and law profession know how to write their own paychecks

Supplied in unmarked lunch boxes. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I'm surprised that there are not more revenge murders in this country. If my kids were killed in this way the perpetrator would have to watch his back the rest of his like. I'd be coming to get him. No payouts accepted. 

With a very clear message that I was coming for him - at sometime in the future... Let the <deleted> sweat with a reminder every now and then, just to keep him on his toes.