Cruise Control - What's the Point?

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have driven from Pattaya to Yasothon several times as well as to Chiang Mai, never used the cruise control once, the roads and traffic don't lend themselves to using it.

Going north from BKK towards C/Mai on the 1/32AR there are stretches of 3+ lane roads without a set of traffic lights for over 100km. Please don't tell me you cant use it there.

I also do that trip both ways and use C/C 90% of the time. 90% of the time on the 9 going round BKK that's normally traffic free except for the pay booths. Set the thing at 110kph plod along in middle lane sorted.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Going north from BKK towards C/Mai on the 1/32AR there are stretches of 3+ lane roads without a set of traffic lights for over 100km. Please don't tell me you cant use it there.

I also do that trip both ways and use C/C 90% of the time. 90% of the time on the 9 going round BKK that's normally traffic free except for the pay booths. Set the thing at 110kph plod along in middle lane sorted.

Gee, for awhile there I thought I was the only one in Thailand that uses C/C, Now I know there's two of us. For a minute or two I thought I may have to move to America so that I can use my C/C. Happy driving with your C/C.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Don't like it, don't use it.

I would imagine that it depends on how you as a driver can handle cruise control. Personally driving in the north-east of Thailand between Sakon Nakhon to Udon Thani, or Sakon Nakhon to Khon Kaen, or Nong Kae.

I love those straight stretches of the roads, it gives me a break, and I never lose focus on what's going on, the leg gets a breather as does the back because you are free to move around and give the muscles a break, and its so much more enjoyable in my opinion.

On 21/07/2017 at 9:06 PM, bazza73 said:

There are very few roads in Thailand where cruise control could be used safely. Due to  road conditions and the unpredictability of Thai traffic.

On the other hand, cruise control is almost essential in Australia if one wants to avoid expensive speeding fines and demerit points. Such concepts obviously do not exist in Thailand.

Any GPS canbe set to a speed alarm, used to do this back in Aus, i.e. I would set it for say 59kmh, and it would tell me I am speeding once I hit 60, also most GPS's tell you when your approaching a speed camera, a red light camera etc etc.

As for your comment: There are very few roads in Thailand where cruise control could be used safely, your wrong, up here in the North-East there are straight stretches with dual and triple and quadruple lanes, never had an issue, but then again, most people like to be in control I suppose, thinking their foot on the peddle is control, while losing out to a luxury feature in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

That's your prerogative. But please don't say it cant be used here. Or you might get someone that make your first statement look stupid.

Someone, who, you? Never said it can't be used, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be that Thai roads and traffic aren't suited to cruise control. The fact that I have driven long distances in Thailand and never felt that it would benefit my driving experience in any way influences my opinion. You use it, I don't, so what?

I like it as you can engage it and rest your right foot on long trips but granted,  here in Thailand you never get to use it for long before something makes you need to slow down. My bike has it too and same, I can now rest my right hand from the grip and rest it as well on the long runs. 

On 21/07/2017 at 0:23 PM, reenatinnakor said:

There is no such thing as a fast lane...There's an overtaking lane after which you should move back to the inside lane. Learn the rules!

I like cruise control, esp when on a long straight road like the I5 sfo to LA... Your feet needs a rest. In thailand don't need so much.

Try teaching the rules to the locals.. more often than not the traffic in the lefthand lane ( or the hardshoulder ) is going faster than the right. As for overtaking lane. :cheesy:Here that can be any lane that has a gap large enough to get a pick-up through. 

The only rule here is, "There are no rules (enforced)"

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never said it can't be used, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be that Thai roads and traffic aren't suited to cruise control. The fact that I have driven long distances in Thailand and never felt that it would benefit my driving experience in any way influences my opinion.

If you live in lets say Pattaya/BKK then agree totally pointless.

But a trip from Pattaya to C/M is well over a 9 hour drive 'That's if you drive like crazy' without any stops. I would have thought that resting your right foot or anything for a few hours, would be very advantages. Give it a go you might find you'll change your mind.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

If you live in lets say Pattaya/BKK then agree totally pointless.

But a trip from Pattaya to C/M is well over a 9 hour drive 'That's if you drive like crazy' without any stops. I would have thought that resting your right foot or anything for a few hours, would be very advantages. Give it a go you might find you'll change your mind.

That 9 hours isn't on a straight road with no interruptions, but if I ever find a nice road with minimal traffic where I can engage the CC for longer than 5 minutes, I'll give it a try.

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That 9 hours isn't on a straight road with no interruptions, but if I ever find a nice road with minimal traffic where I can engage the CC for longer than 5 minutes, I'll give it a try.

You will have to leave Pattaya very early use the M/W to BKK the 9 then 1/32 up north. You will be able to use C/C quite a lot 60/70%

Must admit that if you go at a later time the 9 hours & C/C are only a dream. You'll be looking at 12+ if your lucky. Bloody site more if you include stops. 

22 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You will have to leave Pattaya very early use the M/W to BKK the 9 then 1/32 up north. You will be able to use C/C quite a lot 60/70%

Must admit that if you go at a later time the 9 hours & C/C are only a dream. You'll be looking at 12+ if your lucky. Bloody site more if you include stops. 

4 of us usually...Means stopping about once every couple of hours for somebody's bladder break - just so I can pass the same group of trucks again, over & over....

But also ample stretching time....

In the states I'd start a long trip usually between 1:30-3:00 AM knowing just about where I'd be at dawn & try and avoid driving into the sun.....I didn't like using cruise in the dark on semi-familiar roads....Returning I'd try to take secondary routes coming back that used to be the old highways - lot's of interesting things to discover along the way on those "lost" Americana roads....

Here, I don't drive through the night because they have big dark moving things called elephants....

1 minute ago, transam said:

They are called pickups with no lights....:whistling:

True that....

I've almost bopped a few in the states too with no or few working lights in really rural areas....

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

True that....

I've almost bopped a few in the states too with no or few working lights in really rural areas....

As an English guy I drove all over the USA, first time was 1989, had a new Cadillac Brougham limo that me and the Mrs thoroughly enjoyed cruising in. CC was an absolute godsend on those long open roads where folk knew how to drive.

In LOS, forget it....:sad:

Anyone done the cruise from Key largo up the west coast through the Everglades where CC was a must.....Cigar in hand, feet up....Yep, you need it there for sure..:stoner:....But that was what CC was designed for, endless blacktop, everyone in the same state of mind, not seen it in LOS..

I will re-open the topic, but members are reminded to follow the forum rules.   Taking pot shots at others or their nationality will not be tolerated.   Comparisons of driving situations is acceptable, but please remember to stay on the actual topic of the thread.  

I have a car in Thailand, and older one and a new one in the US.   In Thailand I don't have cruise control and I think it would be a lot of trouble.   Even the older car in the US with cruise control is a bit problematic -- but worth the trouble.   The new car as Adaptive Cruise Control and it is an absolute dream.  

The difference in mileage with and without it is significant.   A friend drove it quite a distance and didn't use the ACC.   He averaged 24 MPG.   I drove the same distance with Cruise control and averaged 30 MPG.   The car has a V6, so it is uses more fuel, but that was going about 9 MPH over the speed limit.   It was also through a mountainous area.  

The fuel savings with CC is significant and I suspect it would be in Thailand as well.  

My Wifes Car has that Adaptic thing , along with a bunch of silly things i turn off .The safe distance it leaves is perfect for Mr Big Bonces Fortuna to carve into.50 Cal Gatling Gun would be more use here.?[emoji592]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My Wifes Car has that Adaptic thing , along with a bunch of silly things i turn off .The safe distance it leaves is perfect for Mr Big Bonces Fortuna to carve into.50 Cal Gatling Gun would be more use here.?[emoji592]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Totally agree, leave an adequate stopping distance and 2 cars squeeze in !!.

I use my ADAPTIVE cruise-control all the time when on highways and motorways...even in heavy traffic. It makes driving a snip and much less fatiguing and I think it makes me more alert to road/traffic conditions not less.

Where you live Arizona.?.You cant use it safely from say Bkk to Pats if its buisy or the safe gap it leaves gets 3SUVs cut in in seconds. Makes most folk careless i find.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Where you live Arizona.?.You cant use it safely from say Bkk to Pats if its buisy or the safe gap it leaves gets 3SUVs cut in in seconds. Makes most folk careless i find.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Name's not "OMGImInPhoenix" ?

All the time on 7 and 3 to Bangers and back. No problems... medium follow distance and off we go...arrive at my destination much less tired from stress. It actually makes driving expressways fun again.

Archived