Pratumnak bus brake failure down hill, kills 1

webfact

Pratumnak bus brake failure down hill, kills 1

pp.jpg

video screenshot

PATTAYA: -- One of the many tourist buses that now dominate the streets of Pattaya was unable to stop in time as it travelled down the steep road leading into the city from Pratumnak hill on Tuesday evening. 

Aware of the rapid descent of the bus, the occupants and their guides were yelling in horror as they saw stationary motorbikes and their riders waiting at the traffic lights controlling a complicated intersection, under an over pass bridge carrying traffic to Bali Hai Pier. 

Tragically the tour bus failed to stop in time and is reported to have run down the bike riders killing one who was caught under the bus. 

To other riders were pushed out of the way by the force of the collision. 

The two remain in hospital in Pattaya. As with other accidents involving oversized buses on steep hills, first reports blame brake failure for the uncontrolled descent of the tour bus.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-26

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Aware of the rapid descent of the bus, the occupants and their guides were yelling in horror as they saw stationary motorbikes and their riders waiting at the traffic lights controlling a complicated intersection, under an over pass bridge carrying traffic to Bali Hai Pier. 

Tragically the tour bus failed to stop in time and is reported to have run down the bike riders killing one who was caught under the bus. 

I am astounded that the driver didnt just drive into the several bushes and car park areas on the left side of the road rather than drive straight into stationary motorbike riders and passengers.

And depending on the oncoming traffic he possibly could have made a hard right turn across the carriageway which would have stopped the vehicle also.

I suspect that there is more to this than has been reported.

Brake failure my ass.

Start calling it what it is. Maintenance failure, which caused the brakes to fail.

I wasn't there, but I'd have run the bus into a hill, a tree, a rock, a pole, parked cars whatever to keep from running into people.

The bus situation in pattaya is beyond a joke, i live on Thrappaya rd sorry !!Thrappaya bus park. Ban them inside the city limits and give the baht bus drivers a turn. Would also cut down on the pollution these monstrosities churn out...

Descending the steep hill,4 th gear,going too fast,foot on brake, 

resulting in brake fade,too late to change down the gears to slow

down.when are these drivers going to get it, use the gears to slow

you down NOT the brakes.

regards worgeordie

Seriously doubt it was brake failure--if the brakes failed the bus would have likely been going much faster and hitting some motorcycles wouldn't have stopped it.  There's a big empty lot next to Manita Hotel where the bus could have pulled off the road if the brakes failed.  I suspect it was attention failure. 

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Welcome to the hub of brake failures and balcony falls.

Yeah like you're subtle double jab with use of the word Hub which for those who may not know is the big circular lump of metal which the ( failed ) brake drums or discs are bolted to ( or should be ) if indeed " brake failure " was the cause .. For what it's worth if European road worthiness and safety standards were applied to Thailand's road transport fleet , heavy trucks and buses alike the vast majority of them would I suggest be banned from using European roads .. 

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Descending the steep hill,4 th gear,going too fast,foot on brake, 

resulting in brake fade,too late to change down the gears to slow

down.when are these drivers going to get it, use the gears to slow

you down NOT the brakes.

regards worgeordie

Yeah that sounds not too far from the likely cause .. As you say the gearbox should be used to help the vehicle maintain a controllable speed on hill descents as opposed to driving it as if you were riding a motorcycle .. And looking at the age of the bus I doubt if it was fitted with any supplementary braking assistance like an exhaust brake or electro/mech retarder apart from maybe numerous good luck charms placed in the windscreen .. 

Pay peanuts get monkey's, these guys have no idea how to drive. I used to drive HGV's and PSV's for a living in a past life and on the continent of Europe as well as UK. I wouldn't want to let one of these Thai morons loose on some of the roads through Austria, Italy etc. I can visualize a large scrap heap at the bottom of the first steep hill that they would come across.

It might also be a good idea for bike riders to hang to the extreme left of junctions just in case another barmy driver wants to shoot the lights intended or not. 

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How did the bus eventually stop, on a flat part of the road, if the brakes had failed?

You're assuming total brake failure. In this case, it was probably only a case of diminished brake capacity. i.e.  He stopped a bit late.

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The horn failed.

Would you have had the presence of mind to sound your horn when you're desperately trying to slow down your bus to avoid a collision? I've been in emergency braking situations before and sounding my horn was the last thing I was thinking of. 

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

.It might also be a good idea for bike riders to hang to the extreme left of junctions just in case another barmy driver wants to shoot the lights intended or not. 

I'll be thinking about this bus next time I'm there.

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

You're assuming total brake failure. In this case, it was probably only a case of diminished brake capacity. i.e.  He stopped a bit late.

Not really the pinnacle of multi tasking is it .. pressing the footbrake valve and the horn button at the same time .. And yes you should be able to maintain enough of a presence of mind to sound the horn .. Is it not part of a professional drivers remit here .? the ability to react to developing situations on the road in front of them ..

Just now, Justgrazing said:

Not really the pinnacle of multi tasking is it .. pressing the footbrake valve and the horn button at the same time .. And yes you should be able to maintain enough of a presence of mind to sound the horn .. Is it not part of a professional drivers remit here .? the ability to react to developing situations on the road in front of them ..

Easy to say sitting here on a keyboard. It would be the pinnacle of multitasking and perhaps the driver did blow his horn. Does anyone have information on this?

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I've been in emergency braking situations before and sounding my horn was the last thing I was thinking of. 

Guess you shouldn't be driving then.

I accidentally (my fault/not paying attention/looking at a cop roadside shakedown or something in my mirrors), and ran the light on Sukhumvit at Najomtien Road. NO WAY I could have stopped in time. I managed to stop halfway thru the intersection, but my horn prevented a few drivers from getting hit.