Farang Attitudes and Results

Amphur2000

24 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I've seen similar posts many times and with differing opinions. 

I have been here 19 years. At that time there were no shopping centres. There were hardly any expats. When ever one encountered another expat a greeting came naturally at it was almost a shock to meet. 

Nowadays it is almost inevitable that you are going to see multiple expats when out and about, especially if you are in places like BigC, Robinsons, etc. 

Would it really be deemed an attitude problem if one did not greet everyone? Should we also greet every Thai? Would anyone greet every countrymam/woman they encountered in a supermarket in their home country? 

Comes naturally. A friend of my wife commented one day....'you smile at every Thai lady'..... I do because they look at me :smile:

I too experienced the days when a farang was a 'slightly unusual' sight for Thai people. They were obviously curious and looked, sometimes without realising, stared. It is easy to smile and nod to put them at ease and most times returned.

I suppose if you are not noteworthy, or look approachable......just not required......doesn't have to mean you have an attitude or are a miserable git, but you can't really fault people who think that is the case!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/08/2017 at 3:55 PM, 473geo said:

Comes naturally. A friend of my wife commented one day....'you smile at every Thai lady'..... I do because they look at me :smile:

I too experienced the days when a farang was a 'slightly unusual' sight for Thai people. They were obviously curious and looked, sometimes without realising, stared. It is easy to smile and nod to put them at ease and most times returned.

I suppose if you are not noteworthy, or look approachable......just not required......doesn't have to mean you have an attitude or are a miserable git, but you can't really fault people who think that is the case!

Çurious ?? Was here in 72 1972 that is no looks of disbelief. No not all the time in Bangkok traveled up to E-sarn. And beyond people here like to belive they were among the first Farangs to step foot in Thailand! Reality check there was loads before you.

19 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Çurious ?? Was here in 72 1972 that is no looks of disbelief. No not all the time in Bangkok traveled up to E-sarn. And beyond people here like to belive they were among the first Farangs to step foot in Thailand! Reality check there was loads before you.

Obviously just not as attractive as me and went unnoticed :smile: 

In reality I enjoy walking and am always out cycling, no fear of straying far from the tourist areas, in fact I enjoy the exploration, even these days many rural Thai I meet are surprised to see a farang cycling by their front door of their farms, houses, and appear quite pleased to receive a smile and a cheery hello.

While I agree it not unusual to see farang at the local shopping centres, 7/11, banks or tourist areas, I can assure you when I pull up on my bicycle for water or coke at a remote little back street village shop chances are they have not experienced this before. :smile: 

Reality check - my experience..... your lack of lateral thinking

7 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Obviously just not as attractive as me and went unnoticed :smile: 

In reality I enjoy walking and am always out cycling, no fear of straying far from the tourist areas, in fact I enjoy the exploration, even these days many rural Thai I meet are surprised to see a farang cycling by their front door of their farms, houses, and appear quite pleased to receive a smile and a cheery hello.

While I agree it not unusual to see farang at the local shopping centres, 7/11, banks or tourist areas, I can assure you when I pull up on my bicycle for water or coke at a remote little back street village shop chances are they have not experienced this before. :smile: 

Reality check - my experience..... your lack of lateral thinking

Absolutley not. Now live in rural Issan and as you bike alot out and about. As you when i stop for water if there are thais around i talk to them, they are never suprised to actually see a farang. But are when said farang can talk there laungage.

Reailty check as i stated your not the first wether you like to belive you are or not. 

Ps i have fantastic lateral thinking skills.:post-4641-1156694083:

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Absolutley not. Now kive in rural Issan and as you bike alot out and about. As you when i stop for water if there are thsis around i talk to them they are never suprised to actually see a farang. But are when said carang can talk there laungage.

Reailty check as i stated your not the first wether you like to belive you are or not. 

Ps i have fantastic lateral thinking skills.:post-4641-1156694083:

Pleased you didn't dispute my attractiveness- :smile: 

I don't need to argue for arguing sake today - carry on :smile:

On 8/5/2017 at 2:56 PM, puchooay said:

I've seen similar posts many times and with differing opinions. 

I have been here 19 years. At that time there were no shopping centres. There were hardly any expats. When ever one encountered another expat a greeting came naturally at it was almost a shock to meet. 

Nowadays it is almost inevitable that you are going to see multiple expats when out and about, especially if you are in places like BigC, Robinsons, etc. 

Would it really be deemed an attitude problem if one did not greet everyone? Should we also greet every Thai? Would anyone greet every countrymam/woman they encountered in a supermarket in their home country? 

To greet every expat one encounters seems to me to be ridiculous and stupid. Would you do that in your home country? No you wouldn't. It would be akin to every red haired person greeting every other red haired person simply because they also had red hair. You do not know these people so why greet them like long lost friends.

We all know, as is often reflected here, that in Thailand there are many Perverts (sexpats, paedophiles etc) as well as criminal miscreants hiding from the law in their own countries. Why on earth would you want to greet all expats without knowing something about them first. Plain stupidity!! If I meet an expat socially and know his friends then of course I would greet them if I met them again. But I would also do that with Thais that I met socially. It is normal. It is just common politeness. But every expat, perverts and all, Take a hike.

2 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

To greet every expat one encounters seems to me to be ridiculous and stupid. Would you do that in your home country? No you wouldn't. It would be akin to every red haired person greeting every other red haired person simply because they also had red hair. You do not know these people so why greet them like long lost friends.

We all know, as is often reflected here, that in Thailand there are many Perverts (sexpats, paedophiles etc) as well as criminal miscreants hiding from the law in their own countries. Why on earth would you want to greet all expats without knowing something about them first. Plain stupidity!! If I meet an expat socially and know his friends then of course I would greet them if I met them again. But I would also do that with Thais that I met socially. It is normal. It is just common politeness. But every expat, perverts and all, Take a hike.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and if I see another farang locally I usually smile, nod and say hallo. If I get a response, fine but if not that is fine also.

How do you meet expats who become your friends, if in the first place if you don't want to make polite contact with people?

I am a little confused about perverts as I have lead a sheltered life.

How do you identify them at first glance? Is there a discreet tattoo that they wear, or perhaps a scarlet letter P engraved on their forehead?

On 29/07/2017 at 3:55 PM, ipeterrobinson17 said:

Indifferent?! I like what you did there but I would have said 'Thais seem typically indifferent' as you are judging their behaviour based on your own way of thinking.

There are some still significant differences between Thailand (Asia) and 'the West' that make these comparisons problematic.

At the end of the day, I think most farang here are trying to better understand Thai's/Thailand so they can make their life better here, which is to me a sign of respect for the 'Kingdom'.

From outside looking in, it may seem like a lot of criticism about Thailand but those people looking also need to appreciate how farangs behave if they want to correctly interpret the behaviour here.

I like living in a 'Western democracy' but it has it's problems and I find certain aspects of Asian countries more appealing.

I also wonder how attached I would be to my Western values if I was having to worry about where my next meal was coming from.

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I also wonder how attached I would be to my Western values if I was having to worry about where my next meal was coming from.

UNQUOTE

On the contrary!

Our western values were formed when Europeans knew that there was no next meal coming any time soon.......

Did our ancestors - not that long ago - count on getting lucky with the lottery? overcharge rich foreigners? accept things as god's will? bow to their masters?

No.

They stood up against the authorities that Thais respect so much.

They took what was rightfully theirs: the fruits of their labour.

21 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

I am a sexpat but I am not a pervert.

I resent your stereotypical grouping......but then holier than thou people like you do that, don't they ?

On 8/6/2017 at 3:56 PM, jeab1980 said:

Yep, I did R & R in Bkk, ci. 1964. Lots more before me as well.

18 hours ago, klikster said:

Sure guys, and kids in remote villages grow up everyday meeting farangs on a regular basis - of course they do silly me

And those farangs that choose not to acknowledge fellow farangs when they meet, they stop and chat with said children.....sure they do......

And there are farangs regularly cycling on every dirt track, and back road in my area, of course there are, I've just been unlucky not to meet them, or maybe they are so afraid of having to speak to another farang they hide in the bushes until I pass :smile:

How could I be so naive to think a farmer in the middle of nowhere has not met hundreds of farang passing his way before me, indeed he probably speaks English! :w00t: 

On 8/8/2017 at 2:47 AM, billd766 said:

...I am a little confused about perverts as I have lead a sheltered life.  How do you identify them at first glance? Is there a discreet tattoo that they wear, or perhaps a scarlet letter P engraved on their forehead?

They probably look like the picture of me on my Facebook page.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:06 AM, zzaa09 said:

Some Farang have special powers.....

Hold my beer while I show you a few tricks, sonny.

On 8/10/2017 at 3:49 AM, 473geo said:

Sure guys, and kids in remote villages grow up everyday meeting farangs on a regular basis - of course they do silly me

And those farangs that choose not to acknowledge fellow farangs when they meet, they stop and chat with said children.....sure they do......

And there are farangs regularly cycling on every dirt track, and back road in my area, of course there are, I've just been unlucky not to meet them, or maybe they are so afraid of having to speak to another farang they hide in the bushes until I pass :smile:

How could I be so naive to think a farmer in the middle of nowhere has not met hundreds of farang passing his way before me, indeed he probably speaks English! :w00t: 

Not sure what it was in my one-liner that seemed to p____ you off. Anyhow, feel free to ignore my posts in the future -- as I ain't about to tippy-toe around.

4 hours ago, klikster said:

Not sure what it was in my one-liner that seemed to p____ you off. Anyhow, feel free to ignore my posts in the future -- as I ain't about to tippy-toe around.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, jeab1980 said:

________________________________________________________________________________________

Not pissed off :smile: just don't appreciate when other posters can't accept when you tell it the way you have seen it....like their 'reality' is the only 'reality'

I enjoy Thailand and there have indeed been many farangs here before me, but not necessarily every place I have travelled, and I can assure you guys I carry experiences many others do not!!  and many they do!!! I don't need to embelish or mislead, or need a reality check. Thank you. You don't need to tippy toe but it would probably be a first on Tvisa even though many have gone before :shock1:

33 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

...as a rich quality tourist (there were no others then).

30 years ago I experienced similar, however never ever spent time in Pataya or Patong!!  there were of course the backpackers who could not understand why a beautiful Thai girl chose a 40+ year old over them :sad: (even when explained and as obvious as the nose on their face) there were some real characters at that time, and apart from the occasional sinking of a bar or two, no moaning about money or being 'fleeced'. However it was around 70 baht to the GBP in those days so real value for sure. Scandinavian involvement in many of the small bars and guest houses. A man was sure taken good care of.

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

30 years ago I experienced similar, however never ever spent time in Pataya or Patong!!  there were of course the backpackers who could not understand why a beautiful Thai girl chose a 40+ year old over them :sad: (even when explained and as obvious as the nose on their face) there were some real characters at that time, and apart from the occasional sinking of a bar or two, no moaning about money or being 'fleeced'. However it was around 70 baht to the GBP in those days so real value for sure. Scandinavian involvement in many of the small bars and guest houses. A man was sure taken good care of.

I have just done a quick search on Google as I felt that your forex rate was a bit out of line and I came up with this.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=&MM1=01&YYYY1=1987&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=31&MM2=12&YYYY2=1987&btnOK=Go!

I know it was nowhere near that in 1993 when I came.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1993&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=31&MM2=12&YYYY2=1993&btnOK=Go!

You had a better rate than I did 6 years later.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have just done a quick search on Google as I felt that your forex rate was a bit out of line and I came up with this.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=&MM1=01&YYYY1=1987&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=31&MM2=12&YYYY2=1987&btnOK=Go!

I know it was nowhere near that in 1993 when I came.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1993&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=31&MM2=12&YYYY2=1993&btnOK=Go!

You had a better rate than I did 6 years later.

Indeed maybe it is Bill in those days when I first arrived I had just picked up a generous redundancy package due to my company relocating, and a addition payoff for being part of the relocation team, and some shares I sold and made a good profit. Being honest exchange rate was guesswork on my part and yes looks like a little out, but perhaps you could  also check the price of beer maybe it just felt like 70 baht compared to the current days :partytime2:

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Indeed maybe it is Bill in those days when I first arrived I had just picked up a generous redundancy package due to my company relocating, and a addition payoff for being part of the relocation team, and some shares I sold and made a good profit. Being honest exchange rate was guesswork on my part and yes looks like a little out, but perhaps you could  also check the price of beer maybe it just felt like 70 baht compared to the current days :partytime2:

Beer, food etc was cheap in those days and even at 40 baht you could have a great time. I know I did on my first trip and for the second half of 1997 after the crash life was magic. Sadly, my contract was terminated at the end of November and I ended up working in Sri Lanka. Not quite the same as Thailand though.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, you  do not know the circumstances of others who may have a different view than your own.  Let's take the case of Andy Hall. Ever hear of him? If not ,look up his case.  If not for the intervention of multiple foreign countries he would be in jail or dead  by now. Others have not been so lucky and are dead.  This is one end of the spectrum.
Going towards your end of the spectrum where it is lilacs, sunbeams and butterflies, we pass the foreigners who have had loved ones run down by Thai drivers or raped by thugs, never to have justice. Ever hear of  Jake Tonkin? The poor kid was run down and left for dead. Broken bones and bleeding out.   Then we pass the foreigners who have been shaken down by corrupt officials or forced to pay"damages" for bogus injuries and damages that often follow   collisions with uninsured Thais. Next we go past the visitors ripped off and extorted  by Phuket tuk tuk drivers and beach gangs. Along the way, we will meet long time residents who have lost their homes because of trickery involving a spouse or business partner and a dishonest lawyer and banker. And of course we will meet some patients of the medical hub who had botched procedures, but who have no recourse because it is near impossible to pursue a case of negligence.
Life can be good for nobodies living upcountry because they really don't have anything to lose or anything that greedy people want. For others, they are protected or in a position such that the usual parasites cannot get to them. However, nobody is untouchable and if one takes the wrong hi so's parking spot one can end up dead. Just ask the family of the young doctor who had the angry army officer run her down. And then we have the people who come up against jerks like Red Bull boy. If they are lucky, they are not killed or left maimed by a jerk, but they still have to deal with some snot.

Don't think you are so safe. A couple years ago I was staying at the Panerai in Udon Thani town.Saturday morning  at 8 am, a selfish jerk decides he wants to rev his lamborghini engine below my window. This went on for 20 minutes. I called the front desk. Nothing. It got worse as he was joined by someone else who decided to rev too. I go down  to ask them to cool it. Mr. double chin told me he was very important and that he would have me tossed out of the country after I was   taught respect for my superiors, aka a beating.  I am probably better protected than most and I keep a low profile, but this tub of lard probably could have caused me  problems just because of  his father's position. One day, you will learn too.

All if this can happen in every western country in the world . Every large city has its problems . I feel very safe in Thailand. A lot safer than my home city Perth Australia. And the same I got drivers licence , pink ID card and yellow book no problems . There is a system same as your home country , follow it and you will be ok . Don't try and be a Thai , drive like you do at home . Helmets , seat belts , don't drive like an idiot. Read the newspaper in you home country. Same shit everywhere . Thailand [emoji1242] is a great place , yes it has issues , but there is a reason you are here . If you have a passport you can leave anytime . Enjoy . If you ever feel down , go for a quick trip home , you will have a totally different perspective when you get back .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

One of the things that we enjoy most when we visit Europe is the freedom to walk safely in (national) parks. Sometimes my wife wanders off for an hour by herself, never a problem.

Freedom!!!

Can you do that in Thailand?

My Thai wife and son can wander freely in the national parks up here in rural Khampaeng Phet. Quite often they would go off and leave on my own and all of us were quite happy. So, yes we can do that in Thailand.

Though I have not been to the UK for quite a while I feel far safer in Thailand than I did on my last visit there.

A story from my local paper back in the UK for you.

A murder in the woodlands in rural England.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15463988.Pensioner_stabbed_to_death_while_walking_dogs_was____immensely_kind_____say_family/

The family of an 83-year-old man who was stabbed to death while walking his two dogs have described him as “a lovely, gentle husband, dad and grandfather”.

Peter Wrighton, from Banham, Norfolk, was repeatedly stabbed in the neck and head on Saturday morning.

No arrests have been made since his body was found by a member of the public in woodland near the Fiveways Junction close to the village of East Harling.

Archived