Video: "Incompetent" western tourist on a motorbike banged to rights after trying to mount a CRV

rooster59

Video: "Incompetent" western tourist on a motorbike banged to rights after trying to mount a CRV

motorbike.PNG

Image: Sanook

A classic CCTV video from Chiang Mai posted on Facebook showed one of the worst motorbike riders you are likely to see.

He was not a Thai but a western tourist and clearly he had heard about life on the nation's roads - for he fled the scene of his wrong doing.

The video showed the man on his little red bike try to do a U-turn in a narrow soi in the Huay Kaew area.

But he got it all wrong and then was all over the side of a black CRV almost mounting its roof.

He left the scene but later comes back to put the wing mirror straight and try to rub off the red paint he has left on the side of the car and polish down some of the scratches he has made.

But if he thought he had gotten away with it he was wrong.

The CRV was owned by the boss of a motorbike rental shop and he soon found out that the tourist had rented the bike from a rival firm and they were able to get to meet the tourist.

Everything was sorted out with money paid for the damage and loss of time of the CRV being off the road. The police were not involved it appeared.

The poster - a man called Kheen who put the CCTV footage on his bike shop page at "Bikkychianggmai" said the story had a "happy ending".

Kheen told Sanook that rental shops should check that tourists have licenses and can ride and control the vehicles they rent. The most appropriate vehicle should be recommended to them.

He noted that the foreigner in this case was clearly incompetent and unable to ride a motorbike properly.

Sanook went further - they said that tourists, especially Chinese, were causing a lot of problems in Chiang Mai renting motorcycles. Not only did they have no idea how to ride them but they didn't know the roads either.

They were both a danger to themselves and other road users.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-29

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Chinese, were causing a lot of problems in Chiang Mai renting motorcycles. Not only did they have no idea how to ride them but they didn't know the roads either.

yeah that could be a problem; imagine them trying to get about in CM rush hour 

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less the islands, like Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month.

wow that is A LOT! and that is just the farang on the islands and not locals?? 

19 minutes ago, JustNo said:

wow that is A LOT! and that is just the farang on the islands and not locals?? 

No. That is the total. The local Thais drive like absolute madmen. And that is only Samui. Does not include Phangan, Dark Tao, or Phuket. Samui is notorious. 

Edited by spidermike007

Part of the problem is that the greedy rental places will rent of scooter to anyone, even those who obviously have no idea what they are doing.  In Chiang Mai I have to be extra careful driving around the city area with clueless Chinese tourists on scooters. I had one who thought she would apply the brakes like Fred Flintstone, both feet planted firmly on the road.

Edited by steveyinasia

The thing is, the way they gouge on repair costs, i suspect rental shops would rather customers did crash the bikes. 

Worth more to them damaged than 250b a day ?

Why people think thailand is a good place to learn to ride is beyond me

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

guy is an idiot for renting a bike without being competent in riding one. the motor bike shop is stupid for not testing his riding ability before renting the bike to him. lucky the cops were not involved.

have NEVER seen ANY rental outfit pre-checking competence; here on our island the tourists often aren't even warned to stay ALL the way to the left (oncoming cars pass in the center w/NO regard for oncoming bikes),

nor are they advised w/non-gear bikes to hit BOTH brakes evenly and slowly (on the automatics, if only one brake

is applied, chances are one is going down, especially due to the sand and gravel always on the sides of our roads

14 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

have NEVER seen ANY rental outfit pre-checking competence; here on our island the tourists often aren't even warned to stay ALL the way to the left (oncoming cars pass in the center w/NO regard for oncoming bikes),

nor are they advised w/non-gear bikes to hit BOTH brakes evenly and slowly (on the automatics, if only one brake

is applied, chances are one is going down, especially due to the sand and gravel always on the sides of our roads

the 'mai pang' motorbikes on the north end of jomtien beach gets anyone renting a bike to ride to the end of the dead end street and back. it is enough for the lady owner to see if the rider is ok to rent. when i lived in thailand i would always send my friends and customers to get a bike off her. problem was her business was so busy even in low season she often had no bikes left to rent. she was running an excellent business by doing the right thing by her customers. many of the other companies renting bikes hope you damage them and over charge to have them fixed. short term gain over long term building a strong business. 

35 minutes ago, Cereal said:

The poster - a man called Kheen who put the CCTV footage on his bike shop page at "Bikkychianggmai" said the story had a "happy ending".

Well, at least there was a happy ending.

Yep, they extracted 300% more than the cost of repairs from the eejit attempting to ride a motorcyle.

My suggestion is that the government restrict tourists to 50cc trikes, which can be converted to electric motors at sometime in the future.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

short term gain over long term building a strong business. 

Tourists are here for 1 to 2 weeks. Shop loyalty is not built up with motorcycle hire.

Haven't heard from the jetsky scammers recently. Wonder why they are no longer in the news?

4 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Tourists are here for 1 to 2 weeks. Shop loyalty is not built up with motorcycle hire.

Haven't heard from the jetsky scammers recently. Wonder why they are no longer in the news?

so the lady i know with the motor bike rental shop has a very successful business. people rent from her mostly by the month. guys like me who now spend a month two in pattaya each year.  she keeps buying more bikes and so many times she has them all rented out. not sure what is going on with the jet ski guys, have they been put out of business? water is so dirty i am surprised anyone will go in it.

13 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

my policy of 'rent everything' includes motorbikes and i would only rent from her for 6 months a year when i retire back to thailand. 

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

8 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

my policy of 'rent everything' includes motorbikes and i would only rent from her for 6 months a year when i retire back to thailand. 

You sure post a lot on a Thailand forum for not living here.

Rent a bike, take your chances of safety, and everyone has to start somewhere to become competent whether it is here or in your own country.

He noted that the foreigner in this case was clearly incompetent and unable to ride a motorbike properly.

I can't see anything wrong with him. He prepared himself before coming to Thailand by remembering: "when you go to Rome, do as the Romans do" or similar.

What a <deleted>, but at least he was wearing a helmet.  I think people forget that these little scooters generally have a 125cc engine and are capable of doing over 100kph, hardly a push bike and people should have the appropriate training and licence before they ride them.  And that includes Thais of course, yeah, right, like that's going to happen.