Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation

rooster59

Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation

By Andrew Osborn

640x640 (4).jpg

A general view of the U.S. embassy in Moscow, Russia, December 30, 2016. REUTERS/Tatyana Makeyeva/Files

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia on Friday ordered the United States to cut hundreds of diplomatic staff in retaliation for a new round of U.S. sanctions, and said it was seizing two U.S. diplomatic properties.

Moscow's decision, which had echoes of the Cold War, was announced by the Foreign Ministry a day after the U.S. Senate overwhelmingly approved new sanctions on Russia. The legislation was in part a response to conclusions by U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, and to further punish Russia for its annexation of Crimea in 2014.

In Washington, an aide to U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan said the bill had been delivered to the White House on Friday. President Donald Trump can either give it final approval or veto it.

Russia had been threatening retaliation for weeks. Its response suggests it has set aside initial hopes of better ties with Washington under Trump, something the U.S. leader, before he was elected, had said he wanted to achieve.

As of Friday afternoon in Washington, the White House had not commented on the Russian retaliation.

Relations were already languishing at a post-Cold War low because of the allegations that Russian cyber interference in the election was intended to boost Trump's chances, something Moscow flatly denies. Trump has denied any collusion between his campaign and Russian officials.

The Russian Foreign Ministry complained of growing anti-Russian feeling in the United States, accusing "well-known circles" of seeking "open confrontation".

President Vladimir Putin had warned on Thursday that Russia would have to retaliate against what he called boorish U.S. behaviour. Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters on Friday that the Senate vote was the last straw.

A top White House aide said on Thursday that Trump might veto the bill in order to push for a tougher deal, an idea that drew skepticism in Congress because his administration had spent weeks lobbying for a weaker bill. Trump now has a 10-day window in which he can veto the bill, but the legislation is expected to garner enough support in both chambers to override any veto.

Congressional aides said they still had no indication of whether Trump would sign the bill or veto it.

Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov told U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson by telephone that Russia was ready to normalise relations with the United States and to cooperate on major global issues.

Lavrov and Tillerson "agreed to maintain contact on a range of bilateral issues", the Russian Foreign Ministry said.

The ministry said the United States had until Sept. 1 to reduce its diplomatic staff in Russia to 455 people, the number of Russian diplomats left in the United States after Washington expelled 35 Russians in December.

'EXTREME AGGRESSION'

It was not immediately clear how many U.S. diplomats and other workers would be forced to leave either the country or their posts, but the Interfax news agency cited an informed source as saying "hundreds" of people would be affected.

A diplomatic source told Reuters that it would be for the United States to decide which posts to cut, whether occupied by U.S. or Russian nationals.

An official at the U.S. Embassy, who declined to be named because they were not allowed to speak to the media, said the Embassy employed around 1,100 diplomatic and support staff in Russia, including Russian and U.S. citizens.

Russian state television channel Rossiya 24 said over 700 staff would be affected but that was not confirmed by the foreign ministry or the U.S. embassy.

The Russian Foreign Ministry's statement said the passage of the bill confirmed "the extreme aggression of the United States in international affairs".

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov met outgoing U.S. ambassador John Tefft on Friday to inform him of the counter measures, Russian news agencies reported. The U.S. Embassy said Tefft had expressed his "strong disappointment and protest".

Most U.S. diplomatic staff, including around 300 U.S. citizens, work in the main embassy in Moscow, with others based in consulates in St Petersburg, Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said it was also seizing a Moscow dacha compound used by U.S. diplomats for recreation, from Aug. 1, as well as a U.S. diplomatic warehouse in Moscow.

In December, the outgoing Obama administration seized two Russian diplomatic compounds - one in New York and another in Maryland - at the same time as it expelled Russian diplomats.

Trump and Putin met for the first time at a G20 summit in Germany this month in what both sides described as a productive encounter, but Russian officials have become increasingly convinced that Congress and Trump's political opponents will not allow him to mend ties, even if he wants to.

The European Union has also threatened to retaliate against new U.S. sanctions on Russia, saying they would harm the bloc's energy security by targeting projects including a planned new pipeline to bring Russian natural gas to northern Europe.

A European Commission spokesman in Brussels said the bloc would be following the sanctions process closely.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-29

2 hours ago, retarius said:

A good move by Putin after weeks of threats. He should however have nominated all the CIA staffer in the embassy for throwing out, instead of leaving the US to pick which 'diplomats' they expel.

Tit for tat then. The US would just do the same.

Russia did hack election computers. They broke the law and should pay the price. Especially considering they are doing the same thing to many other countries. Are you OK with that?

Well, the writing was, is and will be on the wall. 

The Americans must learn that when they play with fire they might get burnt - in my opinion still not enough. Americans have to keep their huge mouth shut as far as Crimea is concerned; latter being a Crimean issue in the first place and possible, in second order, a subject for Ukraine and Russia. 

Tell Uncle Sam to withdraw all his troops from Western Europe, clean up his own house first, compensate all those many countries with millions of deaths (Indochina, South America, Middle East etc.) for all those damages they created and the world will be a more peaceful place.

I congratulate Putin (who is a crook in his own right - but this is an internal Russian affair and none of anyone's business except Russians) for his cool way of playing this game of chess. As far as I am concerned 1:0 for Russia! 

PS:  Can anyone tell me, what 1'100 staff are doing in the US embassy in Moscow? Either most inefficient, completely overstaffed or doing a lot of things outside the usual diplomatic protocol! 

16 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The Americans must learn that when they play with fire they might get burnt - in my opinion still not enough. Americans have to keep their huge mouth shut as far as Crimea is concerned; latter being a Crimean issue in the first place and possible, in second order, a subject for Ukraine and Russia. 

Tell Uncle Sam to withdraw all his troops from Western Europe, clean up his own house first, compensate all those many countries with millions of deaths (Indochina, South America, Middle East etc.) for all those damages they created and the world will be a more peaceful place.

I congratulate Putin (who is a crook in his own right - but this is an internal Russian affair and none of anyone's business except Russians) for his cool way of playing this game of chess. As far as I am concerned 1:0 for Russia! 

PS:  Can anyone tell me, what 1'100 staff are doing in the US embassy in Moscow? Either most inefficient, completely overstaffed or doing a lot of things outside the usual diplomatic protocol! 

U.S. diplomats come home for awhile.  

And you think Russia burned the U.S. by this?   Ouch!  :cheesy: 

21 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Seems like Russia needs to learn if you play with fire, you get burnt.  Hack another country's elections systems and there's a price to pay.

Luckily, most don't agree with your assessment of Crimea.  It was an illegal act.  Thus, the sanctions as supported by many different countries.  The issue in Crimea is a Ukraine issue, not a Russian one.  It's not their country! 

Tell Putin to mind his own business and withdraw his troops from Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, Syria, etc..  And perhaps compensate these countries for the millions of deaths he's caused.

But you are right, Putin is a crook...and a murder.  Just look at how many have been murdered who've gone against him.  It's a long list.

Can't understand how people don't realize Crimea doesn't belong to Russia! :w00t:

4 minutes ago, rijb said:

U.S. diplomats come home for awhile.  

And you think Russia burned the U.S. by this?   Ouch!  :cheesy: 

The sanctions are hurting the Russian economy.  But not as much as the drop in oil prices. LOL

The rich and corrupt oligarch's can't use their visa and mastercard any more.  Heck, can't even travel to many Western nations. LOL  That hurts!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2016/10/21/putin-admits-sanctions-sapping-russia/#2e0d605d25d4

Putin Admits Sanctions Sapping Russia

Vladimir Putin admits it. Western sanctions have taken a toll on Russia. Only not in the way most people are thinking.

“Sanctions are hurting us. We hear that they are not a problem really, but they are, particularly with technology

transfers in oil and gas," he said during last week's VTB Capital's Russia Calling investment forum. "We are coping.

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Yes. Putin's cool way of playing chess helped Trump get into the White House. And because Trump is the President and the Congress overwhelmingly both Republicans and Democrats don't trust him, they have passed a bill that will impose much harsher sanctions on Russia  - sanctions that tie Trump's hands -than would otherwise be the case if there was a President whose discretion Congress trusted.  Brilliant move, Putin!

https://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2017-07-24/exclusive-germany-wants-more-eu-sanctions-on-russia-over-siemens-crimea-turbines-sources

Exclusive: Germany Wants More EU Sanctions on Russia Over Siemens Crimea Turbines - Sources

After it annexed Crimea from Kiev, Moscow threw its support behind a separatist rebellion in eastern Ukraine, which has killed more than 10,000 people and is still simmering.

The EU's blacklist comprises 150 people and 37 entities subject to an asset freeze and a travel ban. The restrictions are in place until Sept. 15.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Seems like Russia needs to learn if you play with fire, you get burnt.  Hack another country's elections systems and there's a price to pay.

Luckily, most don't agree with your assessment of Crimea.  It was an illegal act.  Thus, the sanctions as supported by many different countries.  The issue in Crimea is a Ukraine issue, not a Russian one.  It's not their country! 

Tell Putin to mind his own business and withdraw his troops from Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, Syria, etc..  And perhaps compensate these countries for the millions of deaths he's caused.

But you are right, Putin is a crook...and a murder.  Just look at how many have been murdered who've gone against him.  It's a long list.

Can't understand how people don't realize Crimea doesn't belong to Russia! :w00t:

It still does not justify America's involvement. As said, Crimea is a Crimean issue; nothing to do with Ukraine. Go back into old mapping and you'll see that Crimea was Russian before the US even existed. 

Would wonder what would happen, if Canada would get involved in USA issues; so what is the American half across the planet involvement all about? And once we talk about compensations; the 58'000 lost American lives were 58'000 too many - but nobody speaks of the nine million Indochinese ...... go figure! Obama brought an USD 90 million cheque last year to Vientiane, how generous considering the "defense budget" of yearly USD 600 billion (not million) defending the US against other countries - none of which border the US. Just food for thought ....... 

11 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

I thought the man with the funny hair do, got on so well with the little Russian boy, Vlad.

They probably will still be texting to each other.

Who's the tit and who's the tat?

8 hours ago, retarius said:

A good move by Putin after weeks of threats. He should however have nominated all the CIA staffer in the embassy for throwing out, instead of leaving the US to pick which 'diplomats' they expel.

I think they are smarter than that. Think about it!

What would George Smiley do? Box?

(watch who doesn't get sent home ?) 

And people wonder why the Brits didn't need "enhanced interrogation methods" 

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

It still does not justify America's involvement. As said, Crimea is a Crimean issue; nothing to do with Ukraine. Go back into old mapping and you'll see that Crimea was Russian before the US even existed. 

Would wonder what would happen, if Canada would get involved in USA issues; so what is the American half across the planet involvement all about? And once we talk about compensations; the 58'000 lost American lives were 58'000 too many - but nobody speaks of the nine million Indochinese ...... go figure! Obama brought an USD 90 million cheque last year to Vientiane, how generous considering the "defense budget" of yearly USD 600 billion (not million) defending the US against other countries - none of which border the US. Just food for thought ....... 

Don't forget the EU is also driving these sanctions.  You seem to only focus on the US.

I've no idea why you brought up the rest. LOL

19 hours ago, Grouse said:

I think they are smarter than that. Think about it!

What would George Smiley do? Box?

(watch who doesn't get sent home ?) 

I rather wonder why people believe that's true.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:27 PM, craigt3365 said:

Don't forget the EU is also driving these sanctions.  You seem to only focus on the US.

I've no idea why you brought up the rest. LOL

Actually, the EU isn't driving these new sanctions.

E.U. Is Uneasy, and Divided, About U.S. Sanctions on Russia

European Union officials are worried about a move to toughen United States sanctions against Russia, saying they may cause upheaval in Europe’s energy market.

But as usual, the 28-nation bloc is divided, with central European countries more willing to limit the bloc’s dependence on Russian oil and gas.

The new round of sanctions has been driven by the United States Congress, which is intent on punishing Russia for its meddling in last year’s presidential election. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/world/europe/eu-uneasy-about-impact-of-new-us-sanctions-on-russia.html

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

My father was at Bletchley

No disrespect to your old man, but an that's hardly a winning argument when making a general claim about British use of torture and such.

5 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

"House Speaker Paul Ryan said the bill had been delivered to the White House on Friday. President Donald Trump can either give it final approval or veto it"

He will veto it of course

Trump intends to sign Russia sanctions bill into law

President Donald Trump intends to sign legislation that places new sanctions on Russia and empowers Congress to block him from scaling back the penalties on Moscow in the future, the White House press secretary's office said Friday.

White House officials had earlier left open the possibility Trump would veto the bill, though it was passed with veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate...

"He has now reviewed the final version and, based on its responsiveness to his negotiations, approves the bill and intends to sign."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/28/trump-signs-russia-sanctions-bill-into-law-241110

48 minutes ago, Morch said:

No disrespect to your old man, but an that's hardly a winning argument when making a general claim about British use of torture and such.

I was just giving you a clue

What do you know about Box?

Let's leave it at that

I, for one, am grateful that there are much more intelligent people in the world than me.

9 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually, the EU isn't driving these new sanctions.

E.U. Is Uneasy, and Divided, About U.S. Sanctions on Russia

European Union officials are worried about a move to toughen United States sanctions against Russia, saying they may cause upheaval in Europe’s energy market.

But as usual, the 28-nation bloc is divided, with central European countries more willing to limit the bloc’s dependence on Russian oil and gas.

The new round of sanctions has been driven by the United States Congress, which is intent on punishing Russia for its meddling in last year’s presidential election. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/world/europe/eu-uneasy-about-impact-of-new-us-sanctions-on-russia.html

That's in response to the latest round of sanctions.  And yes, a few countries are uneasy about one item in particular.  As for the sanctions, The EU was right in there at the beginning.  With strong support for the sanctions, including extending them and adding more.

https://europa.eu/newsroom/highlights/special-coverage/eu-sanctions-against-russia-over-ukraine-crisis_en

EU sanctions against Russia over Ukraine crisis

In response to the illegal annexation of Crimea and deliberate destabilisation of a neighbouring sovereign country, the EU has imposed restrictive measures against the Russian Federation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-eu-sanctions-idUSKBN19J1DM

European Union extends Russia sanctions until Jan 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/economic-sanctions-russia-eu-governments

They decided that Moscow had not fulfilled the conditions laid down by foreign ministers last week, to stop the supply of arms to the rebels and provide full cooperation in the investigation into the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.

The EU sanctions will hit Russia the hardest. The bloc does 10 times more trade with it than the US.

Edited by craigt3365

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

That's in response to the latest round of sanctions.  And yes, a few countries are uneasy about one item in particular.  As for the sanctions, The EU was right in there at the beginning.  With strong support for the sanctions, including extending them and adding more.

https://europa.eu/newsroom/highlights/special-coverage/eu-sanctions-against-russia-over-ukraine-crisis_en

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

As far as I can tell, neither of the articles you cite has anything to do with the latest round of sanctions being imposed by the USA.

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

As far as I can tell, neither of the articles you cite has anything to do with the latest round of sanctions being imposed by the USA.

You are right!  Just showing the EU was 100% behind the initial rounds of sanctions against Russia.  Not against them.  And they are still for them, just not happy with one particular item related to the gas pipeline.  Which if you research, you'll find some countries are against this pipeline...quite a bit of controversy around it.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

You are right!  Just showing the EU was 100% behind the initial rounds of sanctions against Russia.  Not against them.  And they are still for them, just not happy with one particular item related to the gas pipeline.  Which if you research, you'll find some countries are against this pipeline...quite a bit of controversy around it.

It is not just about the gas pipeline:

"The European Commission is seeking assurances from Washington that, if passed, the new measures would not be applied in a way that affects European Union interests or energy companies. It has suggested that European law could be used to prevent the application of “extraterritorial” measures by the United States, and it hinted at trade retaliation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/world/europe/eu-uneasy-about-impact-of-new-us-sanctions-on-russia.html?_r=0

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

It is not just about the gas pipeline:

"The European Commission is seeking assurances from Washington that, if passed, the new measures would not be applied in a way that affects European Union interests or energy companies. It has suggested that European law could be used to prevent the application of “extraterritorial” measures by the United States, and it hinted at trade retaliation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/world/europe/eu-uneasy-about-impact-of-new-us-sanctions-on-russia.html?_r=0

Exactly what I said!  It's about a gas pipeline.  Thanks!  From that article:

That would almost surely affect a controversial pipeline project between Russia and Germany known as Nord Stream 2, which is owned by Gazprom but includes financial stakes from European companies. The project aims to carry Russian natural gas under the Baltic Sea, bypassing countries like Ukraine, Poland and the Baltic States.