Is a Thai DL considered ID?

Hal65

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I asked some of my masters students, 'Thai DL or Thai ID card, which one is easier to get a fake card.

Consensus response was:

- You can get fake both, but DL much easier, but maybe depends on where your located. Comment could of course apply to many countries. 

Fake passports (any country) are also available for a fee. 

You can buy a face DL for car or motorbike licence very easily. I dont condone it niether would i use there services. I kniw of at least 3 farang that have.  Very good forgeries.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

You can buy a face DL for car or motorbike licence very easily. I dont condone it niether would i use there services. I kniw of at least 3 farang that have.  Very good forgeries.

When my Thai son was at uni he already had legal cards for everything and was well aware of how / where to easily replace them if lost etc. 

Many of his uni buddies had fake DL (car and/or m/c) and fake ID cards, some because they thought is was great fun, some because the real card had been lost and too lazy to take an hour to get a valid replacement, and many because they had no idea where / how to get legitimate cards and some were frightened to visit govt. offices.

I opened a bank account using only Thai DL and some other documents , they needed the passport number and it is the same number as printed on the DL .  

I only carry my DL, been using it at hospitals, hotels,  and to get reduced entrance fees into zoo's etc. 

I opened a bank account using only Thai DL and some other documents , they needed the passport number and it is the same number as printed on the DL .  

I only carry my DL, been using it at hospitals, hotels,  and to get reduced entrance fees into zoo's etc. 

Me to

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, balo said:

"they needed the passport number and it is the same number as printed on the DL"

thats why my bank wont touch DL as proof could easily be a fake with any passport number on.

mine has yellow book number on it but they still wont accept it. It really comes down to What day of the week it is, the date, the time and  if everything is alined you may be lucky.

Edited by jeab1980

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:39 PM, blackcab said:

My local bank (SCB) know me by sight as I am a signatory on accounts owned by the company I work for, as well as having a personal account at the same branch.

Every time I go in they photocopy my passport and ask me to sign. No exceptions and they won't accept anything else.

In the UK you often don't need ID in a bank anymore. To prove your identity you insert your bank card into the chip and pin reader and the bank asks you to input your pin number. If the machine approves your pin you are good to go.

In the UK you often don't need ID in a bank anymore.

And when Thai banks discover that computers can link all the banks in the country together, so I don't have to pay "commission" to get money from my bank account in a different city, perhaps they will also bring in the card with pin #.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the UK you often don't need ID in a bank anymore.

And when Thai banks discover that computers can link all the banks in the country together, so I don't have to pay "commission" to get money from my bank account in a different city, perhaps they will also bring in the card with pin #.

Why do you think there is so much opposition from the banks to CP getting a banking license?

CP's branch network is three times the size of the largest bank. They have computers in every branch (the cash registers). They have cash on hand, cash collection and replenishment services and they have the exact facilities needed to locate ATMs on their premises.

Could you imagine if they had their own ATM in every branch, mobile banking and they started by offering deposit accounts?

Executed correctly and they would clean up. They just need that license...

On 8/1/2017 at 10:56 AM, mike324 said:

But also depending what you are doing at the bank, DL works sometimes if they just want to see ID but not enter into the system or need a copy of ID.

Dunno what bank you deal with, my Bkk-Bk and SCB are happy seeing both Passport & DL because DL has my address & Thai ID.No.