Riot police ready for Yingluck supporters

webfact

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am condemning it because its not the proper way to do things, it should go through the court.

But the other court case is not based on something that is made up. So what is political about that ?

So retroactive 'laws' made for you and you alone are just fine and dandy provided they go through a court?

Edited by baboon

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

So retroactive 'laws' made for you and you alone are just fine and dandy provided they go through a court?

What retroactive law has been made to put YL on trial ? 

I believe you are talking about the Thaksin cases, if I have to choose with him getting away because he ran and the statute of limitations runs out i prefer these laws to catch him. There are some serious charges against him and it would be against my feeling of justice if he got away with it by just waiting them out. I feel these laws should have been for the red bull guy too, guess you would have less problems with it then. 

12 hours ago, robblok said:

So far Suthep (not a nice person xenophobic and all) and his mates have not sought confrontation, the reds however in the past sought up and bommed shot and killed yellows. Unless you can show me some links where yellow went to red meetings to confront them. I can give you Trad, the recent shutdown of BKK where the yellows were a stationary target of the reds. I can't remember (but maybe you can) instances of the reds having a demonstration somewhere with yellows showing up and committing violence. 

I suppose you would say Suthep and his mob physically blocking access of democracy to public buildings by elected MPs. The physical blocking of the polling stations at the last held General Election was cl;early not a protest, but an act of insurrection. A General Election is the lawful protest of the whole nation. Suthep has not been charged with his illegal actions, that makes it look like the present Military Government look as complicit in condoning his actions of unlawful behavior. Where force is used to block democracy it isan act of violence.

Just now, robblok said:

What retroactive law has been made to put YL on trial ? 

None, just one invented to have her assets hoisted without even the 'legal' niceties of a show trial.

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Remember how i disagreed with that.. but I agree with these charges. I see the grounds here. She put herself there she made her choices now she is judged for them. 

I like you but you are so 'mixed up'. Yingluck is persecuted after a democratically elected term in office. Forget whether she made mistakes - we all do - politicians DO.

Take the HIGH GROUND she is subject to a MILITARY JUNTA witch-hunt. Pleazzzzze wake up as I know you are not such a bad guy.

5 minutes ago, binjalin said:

I like you but you are so 'mixed up'. Yingluck is persecuted after a democratically elected term in office. Forget whether she made mistakes - we all do - politicians DO.

Take the HIGH GROUND she is subject to a MILITARY JUNTA witch-hunt. Pleazzzzze wake up as I know you are not such a bad guy.

Yes but people should be hold accountable for what they do. If your voted in or not. Negligence is not a mistake.. and you don't mistakenly not go to all meetings of the rice program you chair. You don't mistakenly forget you are warned by the world bank, you don't mistakenly NOT investigate corruption in the rice program while your own ministers are involved in fake G2G deals.

There are mistakes.. I make them you make them we all make them and there is negligence that causes damage. 

It has nothing to do with me being good or bad, this case is tried on bases of her actions. The junta did not make her do the rice program, it was her brother that made her do that. Its the junta that enforces the law (and yes its good for them if she gets found guilty) but they did not invent the laws did not make her break them. That is something she did herself. 

If someone is voted in and corrupt (not talking YL as she is not up for corruption but negligence) should they not be tried in a court of law because they were elected ? Why do you think that people who are elected should not face a court of law when they break the law ?

Maybe the next Thaksin PM learns something from this and will not go shopping but actually be at those meetings and actually listen to a world bank or might take action when people talk of corruption. 

She mistakenly did not went to all the meetings.. seems like an awful lot of mistakes that cost the country a lot of money. Its good to make people accountable. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but people should be hold accountable for what they do. If your voted in or not. Negligence is not a mistake.. and you don't mistakenly not go to all meetings of the rice program you chair. You don't mistakenly forget you are warned by the world bank, you don't mistakenly NOT investigate corruption in the rice program while your own ministers are involved in fake G2G deals.

There are mistakes.. I make them you make them we all make them and there is negligence that causes damage. 

It has nothing to do with me being good or bad, this case is tried on bases of her actions. The junta did not make her do the rice program, it was her brother that made her do that. Its the junta that enforces the law (and yes its good for them if she gets found guilty) but they did not invent the laws did not make her break them. That is something she did herself. 

If someone is voted in and corrupt (not talking YL as she is not up for corruption but negligence) should they not be tried in a court of law because they were elected ? Why do you think that people who are elected should not face a court of law when they break the law ?

Maybe the next Thaksin PM learns something from this and will not go shopping but actually be at those meetings and actually listen to a world bank or might take action when people talk of corruption. 

She mistakenly did not went to all the meetings.. seems like an awful lot of mistakes that cost the country a lot of money. Its good to make people accountable. 

The British Minister Michael Howard MP in the Thatcher Government abused his authority many times and was over-ruled by the courts many times. He was not prosecuted for his mistakes. The people who can do so are the electorate at an election. Not Military Governments indulging in acts of persecution. All governments make failings and courts should be there for citizens to test those failings. Exception being the International Laws on Human Rights, where brutal dictators are held to account by an International Court.

3 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

The British Minister Michael Howard MP in the Thatcher Government abused his authority many times and was over-ruled by the courts many times. He was not prosecuted for his mistakes. The people who can do so are the electorate at an election. Not Military Governments indulging in acts of persecution. All governments make failings and courts should be there for citizens to test those failings. Exception being the International Laws on Human Rights, where brutal dictators are held to account by an International Court.

So because something went wrong in the UK by not going after someone who abused his authority they should not do it here.. Nice argument. 

In my country they have removed ministers for far less then what YL did. You can't keep billions off book.

We just disagree here the law is not a a popularity contest.. and getting voted in does not mean you can break it.. 

Edited by robblok

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

So because something went wrong in the UK by not going after someone who abused his authority they should not do it here.. Nice argument. 

In my country they have removed ministers for far less then what YL did. You can't keep billions off book.

We just disagree here the law is not a a popularity contest.. and getting voted in does not mean you can break it.. 

Under English Law you cannot go after him! The courts should overrule mistakes not persecute. Seems like you come from a country that is not truly democratic. The international laws on asylum are there for those that flee political persecution.  It is not negligent to carry out a policy that a political party was elected on by a majority of the people. All trials of senior politicians ought to be held in an international court to avoid bias and prejudice. Regardless of what country they come from.

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

"Why do you think that people who are elected should not face a court of law when they break the law ? " They should, but they should not be prosecuted by people who also broke the law.  The highest in the land, and then DID actually invent new legislation to silence anyone that questioned there actions.

8 hours ago, Happy enough said:

just out of interest. what's a TV worthy? and what's the location regards to isaan got to do with anything, just a tad confused

wor·thy
ˈwərT͟Hē/
noun
derogatoryhumorous
plural noun: worthies
  1. a person notable or important in a particular sphere.
    "schools governed by local worthies"
    synonyms: dignitary, personage, VIP, notable, notability, pillar of society, luminary, leading light, big name, grandee; More

You said earlier,

... anyway, so all the thais you know are aghast at her treatment you say. I'm guessing all the thais you know come from isaan.

Maybe I was mistaken in interpreting that as your stated belief that ALL Yingluck's support is in the northeast of the country.

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The flood started in July 2011 and by August it covered lower Thailand and Ayutthaya where most auto manufacturers located. The policy start Sept and end Dec following year. I left my flooded house in Klong 3 Pathumthani in late September. Figure that out. 

Coincidence.

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

No Rob, I disagree completely.  This is about preserving and maintaining the age-old status quo of the system of patronage and feudalism.  The elites are terrified of the likes of Thaksin, not because he's a crook (they all are) but because he was perceived at posing a direct threat to the traditional lines of wealth and power. Prauth was assigned the task and he used Suthep to accomplish that (which the latter openly admitted). The whole thing is a terrible, ugly farce.  Why foreigners in Thailand would cheer such a thing on is beyond me.

Simply has to be the best quote of the day or year so far, its certainly the most truthful.

Why foreigners in Thailand would cheer such a thing on is beyond me.

That is easy to work out down to promises or not able to go home.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

The simple fact is that you are an arrogant falang who thinks they know better than the Thai people. You want to deny people the right to vote and choose their representatives. This is something that you would demand for a right in your own country. Yet somehow you feel the Thais are not allowed to do the same. The hatred and contempt that you feel for the Thais screams loud and clear from every post you make.

One person one vote,

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

For a moment, I thought you had posted a valid and factual item.

2 out of 10. Must try harder.

Foolish attempt to deflect a factual post. It's true, whether you like it or not, but thanks for including it in your response. It gives people another opportunity to view it.

Edited by ramrod711
spelling error

13 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The flood started in July 2011 and by August it covered lower Thailand and Ayutthaya where most auto manufacturers located. The policy start Sept and end Dec following year. I left my flooded house in Klong 3 Pathumthani in late September. Figure that out. 

"Figure that out"

With pleasure, Eric.

The cheap-car policy was being promoted as one of those  "pre-election promises"  , in May & June 2011.  That the policy was actually implemented after-that is therefore irrelevant.

So it had been made before the floods arrived, and therefore could not have been in-response to them. :wink:

Just to add, I'm sorry that you personally suffered, like many other people, as a result of the floods.

8 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

The simple fact is that you are an arrogant falang who thinks they know better than the Thai people. You want to deny people the right to vote and choose their representatives. This is something that you would demand for a right in your own country. Yet somehow you feel the Thais are not allowed to do the same. The hatred and contempt that you feel for the Thais screams loud and clear from every post you make.

One person one vote,

What has that to do with my post.. nothing.. Its the Thai people that are charging her for negligence. It were the Thai people who rose up and went to the streets to get her to step down. Your just an arrogant farang who can't keep to the topic. I am one of the guys always defending the Thais from Thaibashing on the forum and took a lot of flack for it. 

The topic here is the rice program and YL her trial, not elections or hatred of Thais.

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

"Figure that out"

With pleasure, Eric.

The cheap-car policy was being promoted as one of those  "pre-election promises"  , in May & June 2011.  That the policy was actually implemented after-that is therefore irrelevant.

So it had been made before the floods arrived, and therefore could not have been in-response to them. :wink:

Just to add, I'm sorry that you personally suffered, like many other people, as a result of the floods.

Source "Reuters".

"The tax breaks, which the World Bank estimates cost Thailand $2.5 billion, were intended to revive auto manufacturing in the region's biggest car-making hub following devastating floods in 2011".

PS. Many of us suffered the flood. I stayed in Bangna till end Dec and only went back to my factory in January after extensive renovation. I 

On 8/2/2017 at 9:02 AM, robblok said:

What has that to do with my post.. nothing.. Its the Thai people that are charging her for negligence. It were the Thai people who rose up and went to the streets to get her to step down. Your just an arrogant farang who can't keep to the topic. I am one of the guys always defending the Thais from Thaibashing on the forum and took a lot of flack for it. 

The topic here is the rice program and YL her trial, not elections or hatred of Thais.

Thais appointed by the military you mean.

If you really are for the Thais as you say then I will look forward to the next thread where you will be asking that the Thais are allowed to have a free vote on who they would like to choose to lead the country forward. If you do that then I humbly apologize for my comments. If you are still supporting a junta that over threw a democracy that the Thais voted for then my original comment stands

On 02/08/2017 at 9:15 AM, Eric Loh said:

Source "Reuters".

"The tax breaks, which the World Bank estimates cost Thailand $2.5 billion, were intended to revive auto manufacturing in the region's biggest car-making hub following devastating floods in 2011".

And yet the promise was being made in May & June 2011, one of the infamous  "pre-election promises"  which won the election for PTP (as the largest minority party), before the floods ever arrived ? :wink:

How far-sighted of the PTP-planners, to know six-months in-advance, that they would need to buy-off the foreign car-manufacturers, after floods which had yet to happen, and how fortunate that it also appealed to potential voters/supporters amongst the middle-classes ! :laugh:

Edited by Ricardo

7 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

Thais appointed by the military you mean.

If you really are for the Thais as you say then I will look forward to the next thread where you will be asking that the Thais are allowed to have a free vote on who they would like to choose to lead the country forward. If you do that then I humbly apologize for my comments. If you are still supporting a junta that over threw a democracy that the Thais voted for then my original comment stands

You probably havent read all my post, I can't wait for the next elections. The junta have been in power long enough.. But dislike of the Shins is something I will keep having, also dislike of the violent elements in the red shirts. But how you can equate support of the junta with hating Thais is a mystery. People can have political idea's about stuff and like the Thais.  I DO support the junta in prosecuting crimes committed by the Shins. 

I don't support the junta and their new toys like subs, or the lack of investigation of the PM his brother and nephew. I guess its hard for people to understand that one can support certain ideas but not other. If you support the Shins.. that does not mean you support the red shirts that killed kids in Trat.. because that is how your thinking.. black and white. 

Just now, baboon said:

How do you work that out?

Quite simple, look at the people who came to the streets protesting her government making sure she stepped down. I guess those were not Thais... oh they were. They wanted action to be taken. Also the courts are Thai people too.. not westerners so there was clearly enough support to go after her. Loads of people were against the rice program. I know its not nice to hear but YL was not popular with the other side. 

You guys make it out like she is some saint / hero of the people while in reality she is just a puppet who did not think her actions could have consequences and ignored all warnings. Her defense is basically.. i meant well please be fair let me go. She never went to meetings and such.. her defense does not even try to prove she did her job. 

Mate you have your views I have mine and there is enough reason to have her in court. You can't keep a cost of 60% of the anual health budget per year off books.. you can't claim no corruption when its pointed out to you and your own highest ministers and firms linked to her brother are involved.  

Just now, robblok said:

Quite simple, look at the people who came to the streets protesting her government making sure she stepped down. I guess those were not Thais... oh they were. They wanted action to be taken. Also the courts are Thai people too.. not westerners so there was clearly enough support to go after her. 

So a faction of Thai people, then. They didn't actually rise up as one as your post implies.

Just now, baboon said:

So a faction of Thai people, then. They didn't actually rise up as one as your post implies.

I don't know how you would call the street protest anything else as rising up to a corrupt goverment intent on getting a convicted criminal back, showing they cared more about him then the Thai people making the way for the coup setting the stage. Its like loading a gun and putting it at your head and then letting someone else pull the trigger.

Yes a large fraction of the Thai populace wanted her gone.. and all of that because she thought getting voted in (the only democratic things the shins care about) meant she could do as she pleased without consequences. 

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't know how you would call the street protest anything else as rising up to a corrupt goverment intent on getting a convicted criminal back, showing they cared more about him then the Thai people making the way for the coup setting the stage. Its like loading a gun and putting it at your head and then letting someone else pull the trigger.

Yes a large fraction of the Thai populace wanted her gone.. and all of that because she thought getting voted in (the only democratic things the shins care about) meant she could do as she pleased without consequences. 

A faction of the Thai people, then, as said. Are they the ones also prosecuting her in connection with the asset seizure?