Bangkok security guard dies after frying up toad for his dinner

snoop1130

Bangkok security guard dies after frying up toad for his dinner

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1RE6AL3PRYzILyqU.jpg

A security guard was reported dead on Wednesday after he ate a toad he found out the front of his house.

Despite warnings from his neighbors and relatives not to eat the creature Rasamee Sri-art, 57, insisted on dining on toad.

He took the skin off the toad and made "phat phet" with it. He said it tasted great.

But the result was a severe headache, violent vomiting and within a few hours death from a stroke.

Police and medics found the Rasamee - a guard at a neighborhood condo in Pak Kret - dead at his house.

Doctors said he likely suffered the stroke from the poison in the toad, reported Thai Rath.

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1024604

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-8-2

Toads are left well-alone.  

Northern Australia is infested with an imported toad (bufo marinus) and it is highly toxic.  A large crocodile is easily killed when it eats one. It's a pity some poor Thai folk have to eat such food to stay alive.

12 minutes ago, masuk said:

Northern Australia is infested with an imported toad (bufo marinus) and it is highly toxic.  A large crocodile is easily killed when it eats one. It's a pity some poor Thai folk have to eat such food to stay alive.

I don't think the Thai eat toads because they are poor.  They consider them delicious.

This one  comes to our door from time to time. I don't feel an urge to eat it. DSCN0622-01.jpg.60ee90e548d8323e751d728b3e5fa552.jpg

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

All toads are highly toxic and should be exterminated

A highly toxic statement.
All toads secrete a toxin, but not all in life threatening amounts. Some produce just enough to taste very yucky to casual exploration by, say, a pet dog. Others can kill a croc with the bad judgement of swallowing one.
They all have a place in the ecosystem, including eating bugs and it seems a Darwinian effect on un-receptive Thai security guards.
"All toads are highly toxic..." is not at all true. I kept a series of them as pets in my youth, B. americanus, not B. marinus, which I believe is the introduced Cane toad of ill repute. B. amercicanus and B. woodhousei, another found in Eastern US, thrive on a diet of meal worms. 
Are you from Australia, per chance? The Cane toad experience could lend a jaundiced view!

Edited by Bill Miller

19 hours ago, balo said:

How many species of toads exist in Thailand`? Toad is a popular dish in many countries. The locals should know better. 

Technically all toads are frogs, but not vice versa. Both are amphibians. That said and without claiming absolute certainly...there are approximately 130-170 species of amphibians here. Approximately 12 have the common name "toad".

Seems the locals, including relatives of this dumb ass, did know better and warned him not to eat the toad.

Som Nam Naa! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, masuk said:

Maybe time for Australia to 'bring in' some Thais into NT and Queensland. Just stop giving them any other food after that, and within a short time the toad problem will be solved... :ph34r:

I recall accidentally walking by an ice counter/display tray in Makro once.

Looked over and 200 frogs (I guess?) were looking at me. Every one of them looked vicious & was big enough to bite my thumb off (if they'd had teeth).

No thanks on eating frogs or especially toads.

http://www.thewildlifediaries.com/wp-content/gallery/Thailand's-amphibians-1/striped-spadefoot-frog-as-smart-object-1.jpg

On 8/2/2017 at 11:29 PM, Beats56 said:

I like toads. Back home you can buy toad houses to put in your garden. But no way I would want to eat one.

I think they are cool too. I've accidentally stepped on more than one, just stepping outside at night & almost felt bad about it, & I'm no PITA activist.

Poor old toad was just there to eat some mosquitoes. Quite harmless little guys.

I'd have to be mighty hungry to eat one though.

32 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What do you mean with "us"? Most people in the world leave those critters alone. Only in a few countries/regions of the world do they tend to prefer vermin to a good steak or healthy vegetables.

I just didn' t want to be too vindictive to people doing really stupid things. So I used the Royal plural. 

Still and all critters are frequently more clever than us when it comes to common sense.

Additionally where I come from in Thai, the people eat most things because they don't "farm" animals for consumption in 'insanely' cruel institution/ factories for the hoi paloi to "enjoy" their "steaks". 

Edited by Maggusoil

On 03/08/2017 at 9:36 AM, masuk said:

Cane toads are edible but you need to remove the skin, shoulders, eyes, ovaries and eggs, most people just eat the back legs like with frogs.

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2017 at 8:26 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Technically all toads are frogs, but not vice versa. Both are amphibians. That said and without claiming absolute certainly...there are approximately 130-170 species of amphibians here. Approximately 12 have the common name "toad".

Seems the locals, including relatives of this dumb ass, did know better and warned him not to eat the toad.

Som Nam Naa! 

Or "Som Tam. No way."

Some people are known to use the poison of toads to get high or spaced out.Some toads can make you hallucinate and the stuff is called

5-methoxy-N, N-dimethyltryptamine .

Our dog is nearly ten years old and she gets high from toads on a regular basis,i hope some day she will not od.Normally she is fine again after an hour or so but she really seems to like it.

VID-20170511-WA0001.mp4