Australia looks forward to return of democracy in Thailand

rooster59

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

df16dd99bfce76fc9f7d4ac9c5b90aca.jpeg

AUSTRALIA HAS reiterated its wish to see Thailand return to democracy and stage an election next year.

“We have heard that Thai people have a say in who will represent them. [During my visit, Thai] ministers spoke of Thai democratic history.

“So, we’ll certainly encourage and support Thailand’s aspiration,” Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop briefed the media on Thursday.

18c81ca6260181202990ba4ffa038f5b.jpeg

Yesterday she met with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who told her his government has been proceeding according to its “roadmap to democracy” and seen gradual development, Deputy Government Spokesman Werachon Sukondha-patipak said.

Australia was among several Western countries expressing concern over the 2014 military coup led by Prayut. The junta seized control of the government and is still in power.

Prayut’s government has always rolled out the road map to reassure the domestic and international communities that it is determined to put the new charter in place and bring elections back to the country.

But the promised timeline has been stretched out at least three times by legal hiccups such as the failure of the first charter attempt and amendments to the second version.

Prayut has said the election should be coming next year, after the royal funeral for King Bhumibol Adulyadej and the mourning for the late monarch are over.

The constitution promulgated in April mandates four organic laws essential for elections to be completed within eight months and the election to follow in five months.

Bishop is stopping by Thailand from Wednesday till today before heading to Manila to attend the Asean foreign ministers meeting as a dialogue partner. 

She has said she will underscore North Korea, South China Sea and terrorism issues.

Australia will also host the first Asean-Australia Special Summit next year.

Werachon said Bishop’s talks with Prayut touched on exchanging intelligence, countering human trafficking and updating the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement.

They also discussed support for the innovation and creative industry in line with both the Thailand 4.0 economic initiative and the Ideas Boom strategy of Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Another topic was the New Colombo Plan, which will bring more than 900 Australian students to live, study and intern here. 

The plan is run in 14 regional countries and was launched in Thailand in 2015.

Prayut has extended an invitation to Turnbull as it has been almost two decades since an Australian premier has made an official visit to Thailand.

Thailand and Australia are celebrating the 65th anniversary of diplomatic ties this year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/aec/30322831

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-05

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

But the promised timeline has been stretched out at least three times by legal hiccups such as the failure of the first charter attempt and amendments to the second version.

and it would be so easy for them to stretch it out further; wouldnt put it past them to sow seeds of discord and then justify their continued position to suppress them

I don't think anyone in Thailand cares what Julie Bishop thinks or says........including myself.

43 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Another topic was the New Colombo Plan, which will bring more than 900 Australian students to live, study and intern here. 

This must be a joke. Who will educate them here?

Another country that sees the junta as legit or they wouldn't be here shaking hands.

I say leave the junta to continue the clean up because in a new election they will still hold puppet power and if there is a threat they will simply roll in with tanks again

its hilarious to read farang posts begging for democracy..how naive can you guys possibly get????

Edited by InMyShadow

11 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Another country that sees the junta as legit or they wouldn't be here shaking hands.

I say leave the junta to continue the clean up because in a new election they will still hold puppet power and if there is a threat they will simply roll in with tanks again

its hilarious to read farang posts begging for democracy..how naive can you guys possibly get????

I don't like it as much as you, but it could be worse, at least there is order, and as we see history repeat itself, elections will once again happen. The way I see it, citizens of some other countries out there have got it far worse, sure Thailand is not perfect with the Jaunt ruling it, bit it could be far worse.

52 minutes ago, over it said:

Democracy never existed in the first place.

For some people democracy will only have arrived when the Democrat party wins an election. For these people, there is never going to be democracy.

33 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

I don't think anyone in Thailand cares what Julie Bishop thinks or says........including myself.

This must be a joke. Who will educate them here?

They were smart enough to create 44 so please refrane from such commenting

There again, it's also quite entertaining, in a rather dark way, reading posts, made by people who, in their own countries no doubt enjoy the personal and political freedoms which come from democracy, and yet support a regime which denies them to the people of Thailand.

How hypocritical can you guys possibly get?

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

These pleasantries are a bit nauseating.  Even if this should happen anytime soon, doubtful many will be impressed with a democracy that will be controlled by men in uniform. 

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

If you are looking forward to democratic elections here you'll be needing the Hubble space telescope.

Oh, I'm not so sure... Not really any problems having a democratic election process when the outcome is irrelevant. Bear in mind the next government will merely be the executive of NCPO policy and can be slung out by them at any time.

Julie spreading the good word on democracy, a two party system where the elite own both parties and both further their interests. Where the politicians get the kick backs they so richly deserve rather than the bureaucrats.

48 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

In consideration of the fact that everything anyone does has a self-serving element, I'd say; we hope that Thailand gets a real democracy, so we can stop putting up with your crap.

I person from a third world country, where education is lacking, calling farang naive. That's rich.

Prayut has said the election should be coming next year,

"Should" is used when you are arranging to meet someone and know you won't make the time agreed "Oh I should be there at 10 o'clock"

Thailand is not like Australia or USA or any of the developed countries. Thais need a strong hand and although there are downsides: be careful what you wish for. Certainly under Taksin, business was better but the HiSo-Poor divide haunts and a junta while not overcoming that certainly maintains law and order which had spun out of control back in the "democratic days".

Governance in all the developed countries mentioned also falls short and in some cases has the respective country heading for the cliff edge. Let's not kid ourselves. At the end of the day most Thais are happy with the status quo and we know that post elections whenever they come, the Burmese model will prevail and the parliament will have an elected face while controlled by the military.  It's bad but the alternative with chaos is likely to be worse. 

2 hours ago, over it said:

Democracy never existed in the first place.

Congratulations, your seven words perfectly sum up the situation.

When people eventually stop assuming that elections = democracy and understand that true democracy can only happen within nations where the level of political awareness is high, poverty low, and corruption minimal, then ridiculous statements made by pompous, sanctimonious and self-aggrandizing westerners such as this politician will be seen for what they are : whiffs of malodorous wind, otherwise known as farts.

Edited by Yann55

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Tillerson is coming to see Prayuth next Tuesday. Deal with it.

59 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

These pleasantries are a bit nauseating.  Even if this should happen anytime soon, doubtful many will be impressed with a democracy that will be controlled by men in uniform. 

Twas ever thus.

21 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Prayut has said the election should be coming next year,

"Should" is used when you are arranging to meet someone and know you won't make the time agreed "Oh I should be there at 10 o'clock"

Why is it only now that you choose to forget the near legendary foibles of 'Thai time"?