Mum 'lucky to be alive' after stingray attack in Thailand

rooster59

Mum 'lucky to be alive' after stingray attack in Thailand

By Courtney Greatex, Exclusive

Stingray-woman-635259.jpg

HORROR: A mum has told of her panic after she accidentally trod on a stingray

A MUM has told of her horror after she accidentally trod on a stingray on holiday in Thailand.

Dawn North suffered searing pain when her foot was stabbed by the deadly creature’s poisoned barb.

She said: “I thought that I’d been bitten by something and didn’t realise how bad it was until I lifted my leg out and there was blood everywhere.

“I was concerned I’d become shark bait if I stayed bleeding in the water.

“I screamed and shouted to my boyfriend Dave to come get me.

“He managed to swim over and carry me out of the water and dumped me on the sand.”

Full story: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/635259/Mum-stingray-attack-Thailand-Steve-Irwin-dangerous-animals

Daily STAR Sunday: 2017-08-05

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

'lucky to be alive'

Very rare for stingrays to kill people. The wounds can be nasty and very painful, but the poison/venom will not generally cause death. Infection may occur and can become dangerous if not properly treated.

Steve Irwin died almost instantly because the barb penetrated his heart  causing massive damage.

In tropical waters, I thought the rule of thumb was to shuffle across the sand instead of walk and step.  Push a sting ray in swims.  Step on one and it defensively strikes out of fear.  

6 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Would have been useful to know where this was (2hrs from Phuket covers quite a large area).... or even when (at least 3 months ago)..!

My guess would be Khao Lak. Fail to see why it would be useful though.

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

god, people are clueless. And the stupidity of this Dailystar filth. 

this woman should not be allowed to speak for the rest of her life.

I hope not, but with the size of those lips,  I think she will continue to spew stupidity from them forever.

While in Brunei one of my workforce trod on a stingray and was taken to hospital in severe pain. We sent him back to England and I met up with him a few years later. He said it was the worst pain he had suffered and still suffered the effects after one year. As one poster has said, shuffle when in the sea. Stingrays don't attack! The Daily Star's dramatics. :saai:

19 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

While in Brunei one of my workforce trod on a stingray and was taken to hospital in severe pain. We sent him back to England and I met up with him a few years later. He said it was the worst pain he had suffered and still suffered the effects after one year. As one poster has said, shuffle when in the sea. Stingrays don't attack! The Daily Star's dramatics. :saai:

Great advice. I'd never been told of the shuffling. Will def remember this tidbit ??

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“I was concerned I’d become shark bait if I stayed bleeding in the water.

Quite the drama queen.  Apparently so concerned for her safety that she sat there on her lazy arse and waited for the boyfriend to cart her out of the shallows.

A Thai girlfriend would have dragged that stingray to shore herself and would have prepared it for dinner that evening before local lifesavers could attend to her injury.

Stingray attack indeed ! Happened to me once when I stepped on one of the critters in Honduras. The serrated barb was stuck in the top of my foot. The local hospital thought it was hilarious but they soon got " gringo "  sorted out. Scalpel , iodine , few stitches and Bob's your Auntie ( well in Thailand anyway ). I think the lady will live.

Surprising that the barb did not stay in the foot ! These things have around 50 barbs per inch and generally cannot even be removed with pliers. I had the pleasure of being gored to the hilt by a 75kg stingray in Pattaya about 35 years ago, and after the barb had been cut out there was a 5" deep by 1/2" dia. hole in my leg. As already pointed out, these wounds are usually non poisonous but can be very messy !

Its a story about safety and should be promoted to help tourists and others and not turned into a slag against tourists, just goes to show the quality of some around here all they can think of is prostitution anything else does not register, but I guess that is why they are here looking at other comments made on other threads. Lips I ask you?

No wonder tourists are crossing this place of the list, but I guess the mentality its at the same standard as TAT.

Edited by wakeupplease

On 8/6/2017 at 10:03 AM, Thaiwrath said:

An unfortunate incident that can happen in tropical waters.

At least there was no begging 'Go fund me' request, and it looks as if she, sensibly, had travel insurance. 

Not just in tropical waters either.

On ‎6‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, Old Croc said:

Steve Irwin died almost instantly because the barb penetrated his heart  causing massive damage.

I could be wrong, but I thought Steve Irwin died because of the damage  inflicted by him immediately pulling the barb out from his chest. I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a chance of him surviving had he left the removal of the barb until in hospital.

4 minutes ago, Gregster said:

I could be wrong, but I thought Steve Irwin died because of the damage  inflicted by him immediately pulling the barb out from his chest. I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a chance of him surviving had he left the removal of the barb until in hospital.

But it was described as a 'massive stingray' and he was stabbed 'hundreds of times'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/03/10/stingray-stabbed-crocodile-hunter-steven-irwin-hundreds-of-times/

Edited by LivinginKata

3 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

But it was described as a 'massive stingray' and he was stabbed 'hundreds of times'

www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/03/10/stingray-stabbed-crocodile-hunter-steven-irwin-hundreds-of-times/

Steve Irwin may have had a better chance of survival had he not instantly removed the stingray barb from his chest, says the doctor that operated on a millionaire American property developer whose heart was pierced by a stingray barb yesterday.

Irwin was taking part in a film shoot on the Great Barrier Reef last month when a stingray swimming beneath him lashed out, piercing his chest with its barb.

The celebrity conservationist's friend and manager, John Stainton, said at the time that footage of the deadly strike showed Irwin pulling the barb from his chest and then falling unconscious.

Read more at: http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/irwin-might-have-survived-surgeon/2006/10/20/1160851103853.html